Auburn Flashback - 1994 Florida Game

StatTiger

On October 15, 1994, the No. 6 ranked Auburn Tigers traveled to Gainesville, Florida to take on the No. 1 ranked Florida Gators. Despite defeating Florida the year before, part of a current 17-game winning streak and returning 16 starters from that team, Auburn was a 16-point underdog. Many considered Auburn fortunate to have defeated Florida during the 1993 season and would likely lose the rematch with the Gators. Two interceptions during the 1993 game resulted in a potential 28-point swing in favor of the Tigers. It was a game Auburn won 38-35, despite Florida outgaining Auburn in yardage, 560-yards to 383-yards.

In 1994, Florida was rolling, having won 11 of their last 12 games, including a 5-0 record to start the season. The Gators average score before facing Auburn was 51-12, and Auburn had met only one team out of six that would finish the season with a winning record. Steve Spurrier’s explosive offense and aggressive defense were expected to exact revenge for Auburn’s upset victory the year before. For Auburn, they saw the 1994 Florida game as an opportunity to prove they were worthy of their lofty ranking and current winning streak. Not only did Auburn defeat Florida for the second straight year, Auburn proved to be the better team on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

What transpired that day in the Swamp was one of the greatest games during the modern era of college football. It was a showdown of two highly ranked teams that were conference rivals with national and conference titles on the line. The game had a slew of exciting plays with six lead changes, ending on a last-minute touchdown pass to decide the outcome of the contest. What made the Auburn victory so special was the fact Auburn was expected to lose, and Florida could not use the same excuse, they overlooked the Tigers as they did in 1993. The Auburn victory required great individual performances on both sides of the football. Pat Nix threw for over 300-yards, while Thomas Bailey and Andy Fuller had over 100-yards in receiving. Stephen Davis ran for over 100-yards and Frank Sanders had 95-yards in total offense. The offensive line allowed no sacks to a Florida defense that finished No. 19 in total defense and No. 16 in scoring defense. Brian Robison recorded 10 solo tackles and intercepted three passes, while Gary Walker and Mike Pelton led a defensive charge that recorded five sacks and six turnovers.

Florida had always been a challenging venue for the Auburn Tigers. From 1960-1993, Auburn was 5-12-0 at Florida and 13-4-0 at home. Steve Spurrier’s Gators were 15-0 at home in conference play when Auburn came to town in 1994 and 26-1 overall at home. This 18th installment of Auburn Flashbacks breaks down the key moments of this historical match up and why it is one of the greatest triumphs in school history.

https://youtu.be/j6Iu-RqUEvk

Tremendous effort.    The run D deserves so much credit.    Wish we could have converted more points off turnovers so the game did not come down to the last second heroics.

"Great win, great win - I can't say offense, I can't say defense - it was a great win."

Definitely one of the biggest wins in school history for the exact reasons you describe above. I'm so glad you posted this one. I occasionally go back and watch the highlights just to get pumped up. "The cardiac kids are at it again.." line from Musburger gets me every time. Chills. That game to me epitomizes why I love Auburn. No matter the odds or who believes, we believe. Never to yield. War Damn Eagle. 

12 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Definitely one of the biggest wins in school history for the exact reasons you describe above. I'm so glad you posted this one. I occasionally go back and watch the highlights just to get pumped up. "The cardiac kids are at it again.." line from Musburger gets me every time. Chills. That game to me epitomizes why I love Auburn. No matter the odds or who believes, we believe. Never to yield. War Damn Eagle. 

I know a lot of people don't like Gushburger but I always kinda liked his style.  He always gave, even a mild game, a big game feel.

Also, for those who pretty much complain that every TV announcer in the history of the medium call games like they're pulling against Auburn, I mostly felt like he called games like an AU fan. ....except that crappy bowl game years ago against Michigan where he said "tha A-Train" about 50,000 times, LOL!

Couldn’t be there but watched every second of it on TV. Damn, watching the play calling and seeing Andy Fuller catch about 100 passes that day brings a tear to my eye. Who knew you could utilize a TE and exploit the middle of the field? Tot had many flaws but that sonofagun could coach on game day....

26 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Musberger is a big fan of Auburn and Pat Dye. I always liked how he did the old school approach of mentioning the home town of players. He wasn’t as good the last few years of his career but I enjoyed when he called Auburn’s games.

Always a fun game to rewatch some great offensive play calling in that game. I'm sure bird will bring up his man crush Andy Fuller

15 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Musberger is a big fan of Auburn and Pat Dye. I always liked how he did the old school approach of mentioning the home town of players. He wasn’t as good the last few years of his career but I enjoyed when he called Auburn’s games.

Know Coach Dye liked him and spoke of them having dinner a few Friday nights before big games. Heard Musberger say "off the record and over a couple of beers Dye is one of my  favorites"

Auburn always covered the line when Brent was betting on the Tigers, that's why he liked Coach Dye...went to the game, enjoyed the big win, especially seeing Terry sprinting to shake Spurrier's hand and running off the field to the cheering Auburn crowd....

On 5/13/2020 at 7:30 PM, fredst said:

Couldn’t be there but watched every second of it on TV. Damn, watching the play calling and seeing Andy Fuller catch about 100 passes that day brings a tear to my eye. Who knew you could utilize a TE and exploit the middle of the field? Tot had many flaws but that sonofagun could coach on game day....

Was Jimbo the OC at the time?  That is a hallmark of his offenses.  Would be great to see the TE used that effectively again.  That offense overall was incredibly explosive.  I just love watching 80's and 90's films and seeing how big the pads were on the defenders.  That team was fast, hit hard and was explosive.  Could have been a much bigger blowout if we had converted more opportunities to TD's.  Auburn really owned that day.  A credit to Spurrier's offenses ability to score from anywhere that they were even still in that game

On 5/14/2020 at 10:07 AM, augolf1716 said:

Always a fun game to rewatch some great offensive play calling in that game. I'm sure bird will bring up his man crush Andy Fuller

No need to now. 

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

No need to now. 

tenor.gif

AU has had some incredible TE's over the years....  *hint*Gus/Chad*hint*...

Archived