Auburn Flashback - Kick Six

StatTiger

It would be difficult to name the most significant play in Auburn football history other than Chris Davis’ return of Alabama’s missed field goal for the game-winning touchdown. The play itself was extraordinary on its own, but the added impact of what was on the line that day made it over the top. It was a great coaching-decision to swap out Ryan Smith with Chris Davis. To this day, I cringe watching Robenson Therezie running so close to Davis as he closes in on the end zone. I know Davis scores, but I can’t help imagining Therezie bumping into Davis and tripping him up before he crossed the goal line.

Some will argue Auburn was lucky to win the game, but that is pure nonsense. The Alabama defense would have been gassed going into overtime and was unable to stop the Auburn running game, late in the game. Auburn racked up nearly 300-yards rushing that day.

This Auburn Flashback is a breakdown of the Kick-Six, a play that will be forever remembered in the history of college football. Chris Davis was a significant contributor to the 2013 Auburn team, but his prior success will always take a backseat to the game-winning play during the greatest college football rivalry.

https://youtu.be/HG-fR5_eJQA

3 hours ago, StatTiger said:

To this day, I cringe watching Robenson Therezie running so close to Davis as he closes in on the end zone. I know Davis scores, but I can’t help imagining Therezie bumping into Davis and tripping him up before he crossed the goal line.

I’m glad I’m not the only one....still makes me laugh out loud and brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it

Thanks for identifying some of the key blocks and blockers during the run back. I have wondered about who hit who very often.

I also appreciate your directional arrows showing Davis's initial vector slightly to the right before breaking for the left sideline.

This maneuver had to hold some of the Alabama defenders near the middle of the field momentarily and gave the Auburn blockers a little more time to set the wall

down the left sideline. Excellent!

I asked Chris back in the fall what he heard while he was running down the field and he said it was total silence. He then said that the biggest part of the play was Rod’s call of it. 

15 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

Thanks for identifying some of the key blocks and blockers during the run back. I have wondered about who hit who very often.

I also appreciate your directional arrows showing Davis's initial vector slightly to the right before breaking for the left sideline.

This maneuver had to hold some of the Alabama defenders near the middle of the field momentarily and gave the Auburn blockers a little more time to set the wall

down the left sideline. Excellent!

As many times as Gus has me frustrated and scratching my head.  I will praise him until the day I die for his timeout, putting in punt return team .... and as soon as Davis catches the ball, you can see the linemen pulling left already, while Bama is still watching.   His intentional first steps to the right..... that was possibly the best coached play I have ever seen, at the biggest moment - 

we may run a dive play after every first down... we may not know how to use a tight end... we may not know how to throw the ball in the middle of the field... recruit OTs... or many other things.... but for that play at that time - Gus was the best coach on the planet for a moment in time.  (and I know... we definitely payed him for it.... and we still are) 

30 minutes ago, jtauburntiger said:

As many times as Gus has me frustrated and scratching my head.  I will praise him until the day I die for his timeout, putting in punt return team

And you can forever thank Ellis Johnson, who during the timeout, suggested Davis take Smith's place. Scott Fountain was the Special Teams Coordinator, who prepared for the return. He didn't literally put in the punt return team...the entire starting defense was still on the field. But he prepared them for the return. Gus admitted he only called timeout to ice the kicker, which is what every coach does. So really, Gus had very little to do with the play.

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

I had never seen the band reaction and it was fantastic............great stuff

I have no idea how they kept their composure immediately after Davis scored with starting the fight song. The band played. Meanwhile, the band coordinator is going ape shat like the rest of us were.

Archived