Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

30 minutes ago, auburnalum1974 said:

Posted earlier on another topic “Fire Gus”.

Like you I haven’t posted on this site for various reasons. Being a retired HS coach and principal plus two Auburn degrees I love Auburn not just Auburn Football! Secondlyfollow and coach “The Auburn Creed”!

I was never comfortable with Gus being hired as a proven head college coach. He lacked the time tested experience onthe collegiate level in learning all aspects of this profession.  High school coaches are not recruiters to level of assessing prospects and extensive player development! Itrequires years of learning and endless coaching clinics! Talent level has drastically dropped and with this season’s ten game schedule it shedded light on the program’s true weaknesses. These are just two aspects lacking with his coaching background. Small private high school ball is where he belongs or small school coordinator.

Why is Coach Nick Saban successful? Research his past and his philosophy to always seek in improving daily and engaging others whom are proven individuals with success and leadership!

My heart hurts for these wonderful athletes sacrificing their God given talents hoping to experience success and gain strong player development towards the next level of ball playing in the pros.

Spot on 1974!!!  I was saying the same thing when he was hired.   It truly shows what an incompetent fool Jay Jacobs was.   He hired chizik then Gus!!!   The issue was him so you can’t fault the people he hired.   But you can clearly see that it wasn’t the correct hires.  

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how hard would it be to get mac cambell down here? he seems to do more with less. i believe he could do great things and a lot quicker than other coaches.

For the Christobal lovers......he got beat again yesterday by a team (Cal) who was 0-3 on the season. That's two straight upset losses for the Ducks

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Spot on 1974!!!  I was saying the same thing when he was hired.   It truly shows what an incompetent fool Jay Jacobs was.   He hired chizik then Gus!!!   The issue was him so you can’t fault the people he hired.   But you can clearly see that it wasn’t the correct hires.  

JJ took the easy way out when hiring both Chiz and Malzahn.  I hope we take a more professional approach when we hire the next coach.

38 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

For the Christobal lovers......he got beat again yesterday by a team (Cal) who was 0-3 on the season. That's two straight upset losses for the Ducks

That does concern me but I think COVID is to blame. I know, I know! But hear me out...

The PAC 12 (the whole west coast for that matter) has been in disarray due to COVID and the extreme measures taken to combat it. Also consider that they waited until the 11½-th hour to cobble a season together. I think it's unfair to gauge one program to another this year.

Christobal appears to be a great recruiter but his game management is suspect. Still, I think he'd be an improvement. Definitely less of a crapshoot than a 5-18 Iowa State head coach.

25 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

That does concern me but I think COVID is to blame. I know, I know! But hear me out...

The PAC 12 (the whole west coast for that matter) has been in disarray due to COVID and the extreme measures taken to combat it. Also consider that they waited until the 11½-th hour to cobble a season together. I think it's unfair to gauge one program to another this year.

Christobal appears to be a great recruiter but his game management is suspect. Still, I think he'd be an improvement. Definitely less of a crapshoot than a 5-18 Iowa State head coach.

Yeah I am not nearly as high on him anymore but at this point three things matter to me:

1. Recruiting 

2. A resume of building nothing from something 

3. Multiple places of success ( although I can budge)

In my mind , several of the coaches names here can go 6-4 or better. 

Also, right now, I am not high on a coach with no HC experience . I think where we are going , we are going to need that. 

Oregon’s two recent losses are giving me pause on Mario and I now lean towards Sark.  My number one attribute I want in a coach is ability to recruit and RECRUIT TO NEEDS.

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Shut up. How did Gus do?

4 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Oregon’s two recent losses are giving me pause on Mario and I now lean towards Sark.  My number one attribute I want in a coach is ability to recruit and RECRUIT TO NEEDS.

I do not understand the love Sark gets but I do need to educate myself more on him. It doesn't hurt that he has a plethora of experience and several stints as a college head coach.

Sark is an alcoholic that possesses an offensive mindset on the level with Kiffin. The alcoholism is my only concern because of the pressures of being a HC. Dude can coach

Just now, chizhead said:

Sark is an alcoholic that possesses an offensive mindset on the level with Kiffin. The alcoholism is my only concern because of the pressures of being a HC. Dude can coach

People need to stop saying this. He has an history of alcoholism. It seems like he got the support and went through the programming need it to beat it. Not trying to talk down to you but I work at a detox clinic and a lot of professionals go through it and they do well to beat it. No need to keep using that to describe him .

I will take "a player to named later"  at this juncture.

Stumbled across Barrett Sallee and Tom Luginbill on XM84 this morning. They were speculating about possible HC openings and commented that a former coach evaluated potential hires from the perspective, “Would your fiercest rival consider hiring the coach.” Interesting perspective...at this point I wonder how many Auburn coaches Saban would hire.

I’m thinking Sark and maybe Cristobal would get consideration to replace Saban. Auburn has shown the willingness to put big money out there....but never the autonomy Saban enjoys....

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Thanks with age, experience comes wisdom! Have no viable candidate in mind. Personally Freeze needs to stay put and build positive clout. Too much baggage now. I like Steele as he is seasoned from high school in SC to head coach at Southern Miss. He has coached on all levels.

1 minute ago, tomcat said:

Stumbled across Barrett Sallee and Tom Luginbill on XM84 this morning. They were speculating about possible HC openings and commented that a former coach evaluated potential hires from the perspective, “Would your fiercest rival consider hiring the coach.” Interesting perspective...at this point I wonder how many Auburn coaches Saban would hire.

I’m thinking Sark and maybe Cristobal would get consideration to replace Saban. Auburn has shown the willingness to put big money out there....but never the autonomy Saban enjoys....

Like Coach Kevin Steele whereas he has coached all levels plus high school in SC. He is well seasoned.

37 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Cant sign any of Nick’s ex assistants. They all have to sign an NDA when they work for Saben that requires them to lose to him if they ever play him in the future as a head coach elsewhere . They are like 24 to 0 against Nick so I’m sure it’s got to be a given . 🤔😂🤣

26 minutes ago, DAG said:

People need to stop saying this. He has an history of alcoholism. It seems like he got the support and went through the programming need it to beat it. Not trying to talk down to you but I work at a detox clinic and a lot of professionals go through it and they do well to beat it. No need to keep using that to describe him .

I AM a recovering alcoholic...33 years sober, so I know more about it than you do Truth is truth

Don’t know many to offer a credible candidate. Have always liked Kevin Steele based on his experience and seasoned knowledge of the game.

3 minutes ago, auburnalum1974 said:

Thanks with age, experience comes wisdom! Have no viable candidate in mind. Personally Freeze needs to stay put and build positive clout. Too much baggage now. I like Steele as he is seasoned from high school in SC to head coach at Southern Miss. He has coached on all levels.

Well, we were agreeing but now I have to completely disagree.   Freeze is head and shoulders above Steele.   As a matter of fact, I would tell Steele his service is no longer needed after the year is done and find myself another D coordinator.   Auburn needs a change in defensive department.   Sorry but the product put out this year is horrendous.   From what I see, Steele has full control on D and it’s a sad product this year 

2 minutes ago, auburnalum1974 said:

Don’t know many to offer a credible candidate. Have always liked Kevin Steele based on his experience and seasoned knowledge of the game.

Seasoned or not, his time at Southern Miss was horrible.   I want some younger blood on the sideline.    

If Joe Brady was contacted and expressed interest, I would seriously consider him as a contender.   

16 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I remember thinking anyone we get has to.be better than Chizik. Well, you know the rest of the story.

Actually you were right . Gus was better than Chiz at the time 🤔because he had this offense no one had seen. But after a year everybody knew it and was able to stop it. Little did we know Gus was a one trick pony 😂

2 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Seasoned or not, his time at Southern Miss was horrible.   I want some younger blood on the sideline.    

If Joe Brady was contacted and expressed interest, I would seriously consider him as a contender.   

Exactly. He was the reason LSwho won the NC last year even more than Burrow.

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Exactly. He was the reason LSwho won the NC last year even more than Burrow.

Dabo had never been a HC or coordinator....

7 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

If Joe Brady was contacted and expressed interest, I would seriously consider him as a contende

Awfully young, but with NFL experience

Archived