2nd debate will be virtual (Update: Trump backs out)

TitanTiger

11 minutes ago, alexava said:

He’s been cleared of Covid. And I think you know that’s not why the commission decided to change it. 

They changed it because it wasn't clear he would be cleared of COVID and out of an abundance of caution and basic common sense, pivoted to have both candidates appear virtually.  There's no reason that Trump couldn't have done well in such a format.  There is nothing inherently disadvantageous about the format for him that wouldn't equally affect Biden.  He was just being ridiculous and floating excuses for when he most likely loses (and possibly gets routed).

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, alexava said:

He’s been cleared of Covid. And I think you know that’s not why the commission decided to change it. 

Then why did they change it?

50 minutes ago, alexava said:

They haven’t confirmed a negative test nor declared him fever free for 72 hours. And even the strange doctor’s note wasn’t until after that decision. 

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

He didn’t dictate anything. The commission decided to have the candidates be virtual due to Trump having Covid. Biden agreed to it. Trump backed out, Refused to go along with revised rules designed to favor the Democrats FIFY then tried to change the entire schedule. Get your facts straight and stop babbling nonsense. 

Just a minor correction.

16 hours ago, alexava said:

Biden is ducking this debate. I mean damn are democrats not embarrassed at his last performance? Since? He defended the green new deal then dismissed it. Is he packing the Supreme Court? None of our ******* business? 

I love how this sort of dithering takes precedent when we can't even get the president (or his VP) to say he'll support a peaceful transfer of power, while also calling for his AG to indict his opponent. That's the real story here in the midst of your molehill mountaineering. 

"BIDEN IS DUCKING." Hot damn you have gone ******* insane. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

They changed it because it wasn't clear he would be cleared of COVID and out of an abundance of caution and basic common sense, pivoted to have both candidates appear virtually.  There's no reason that Trump couldn't have done well in such a format.  There is nothing inherently disadvantageous about the format for him that wouldn't equally affect Biden.  He was just being ridiculous and floating excuses for when he most likely loses (and possibly gets routed).

The commission shouldn't have said anything.  The debate should be going on as always scheduled and agreed to.  There was no need to try to make a change last week.  They should have said it is scheduled as planned unless one of the candidate's (in this case Trump) isn't cleared by a doctor 24 hours before the debate. 

2 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

The commission shouldn't have said anything.  The debate should be going on as always scheduled and agreed to.  There was no need to try to make a change last week.  They should have said it is scheduled as planned unless one of the candidate's (in this case Trump) isn't cleared by a doctor 24 hours before the debate. 

Cleared by which doctor? Trump’s? Trump promised he was tested and cleared the last time. The are dealing with an honorable man. Norms don’t apply— he busts them. They know they can’t trust this man. No one can. 

Why does any of this matter? Why won’t Trump just do the debate virtually? It’s a perfect opportunity for each candidate to put forth their agenda without the other one interrupting. Why wouldn’t Trump want that???! Hmmm. I wonder...

37 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Why does any of this matter? Why won’t Trump just do the debate virtually? It’s a perfect opportunity for each candidate to put forth their agenda without the other one interrupting. Why wouldn’t Trump want that???! Hmmm. I wonder...

Because two candidates playing by the same rules evidently favors the candidate that isn't trump.

That's literally what these jackasses in this thread keep saying.

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Because two candidates playing by the same rules evidently favors the candidate that isn't trump.

That's literally what these jackasses in this thread keep saying.

They know that if he can’t interrupt and yell personal insults at Biden, he has nothing. Not like he has and plans or an agenda. 

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Just a minor correction.

False. 

Trump backed out. He refused to do the debate on the agreed upon date if he had to appear virtually. Biden stuck to the agreed upon date. Leave your constructed fantasy world and join the one that’s actually happening. 

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Let’s just get down to brass tacks. Trump wants to bulldoze the proceedings by interrupting and loudly talking over Biden and everyone else anytime he feels like. He’s afraid that if he’s virtual, the moderator can cut the audio on his loudmouth ramblings and ignoring of the rules. He can’t win any other way. 

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

False. 

Trump backed out. He refused to do the debate on the agreed upon date if he had to appear virtually. Biden stuck to the agreed upon date. Leave your constructed fantasy world and join the one that’s actually happening. 

Let's be completely accurate here. Trump backed out after the commission tried to change the previously agreed upon format of the debate. 

15 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Let's be completely accurate here. Trump backed out after the commission tried to change the previously agreed upon format of the debate. 

But why

Was it because he thought it was unfair?

And the commission changed the format because Trump became infected with covid-19.

26 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Let’s just get down to brass tacks. Trump wants to bulldoze the proceedings by interrupting and loudly talking over Biden and everyone else anytime he feels like. He’s afraid that if he’s virtual, the moderator can cut the audio on his loudmouth ramblings and ignoring of the rules. He can’t win any other way. 

Could you imagine Trump ranting into the camera with no audio as Biden explains something? That would be hilarious!

19 minutes ago, homersapien said:

But why

Was it because he thought it was unfair?

And the commission changed the format because Trump became infected with covid-19.

First of all they should have asked both candidates how they felt about any change and gotten an agreement from both before making ANY change to the previously agreed upon terms of the debate.  Also, they tried to change the format prematurely. If Trump (or Biden for that matter) wasn't cleared by doctors today, only then explore other options. 

Why- because clearly Trump wanted the live debate that had previously been agreed to by all parties. It is obvious he believes a live debate is better for him than a virtual debate. 

3 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

First of all they should have asked both candidates how they felt about any change and gotten an agreement from both before making ANY change to the previously agreed upon terms of the debate.  Also, they tried to change the format prematurely. If Trump (or Biden for that matter) wasn't cleared by doctors today, only then explore other options. 

Why- because clearly Trump wanted the live debate that had previously been agreed to by all parties. It is obvious he believes a live debate is better for him than a virtual debate. 

Nice dancing around the question.

But as far as a live debate being inherently better for him, how did that work out the first time?  It was a disaster for him and his campaign.  Anyone who is honest with themselves understands that Trump wants to disrupt and interrupt because a rational, uninterrupted, fair exchange of policies and record works against him.

12 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Could you imagine Trump ranting into the camera with no audio as Biden explains something? That would be hilarious!

It would  be like watching one of those Hitler rants with no sound. ;D

52 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Why do you think he would he even care what format the debate has? 

24 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Why do you think both sides agreed to a live debate? 

I’m not sure this cycle. They should have just done virtual debates. But I’m guessing that they agreed to do it like that, because generally that’s the way it’s been done. But it doesn’t necessarily have to be done like that, and it really shouldn’t matter. Especially since they don’t have a live audience anyway. 

The question you should be asking yourself is why Trump is protesting it so much. 

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’m not sure this cycle. They should have just done virtual debates. But I’m guessing that they agreed to do it like that, because generally that’s the way it’s been done. But it doesn’t necessarily have to be done like that, and it really shouldn’t matter. Especially since they don’t have a live audience anyway. 

The question you should be asking yourself is why Trump is protesting it so much. 

The first question that comes to my mind is why did they announce a change to the agreed terms before asking both sides to agree with it.  The second question I am asking myself is why did they try to change it prematurely instead of waiting until at least today to see if both candidates were cleared by doctors.  It seems to me attempting to change what both sides already agreed to should be a last resort if it is not possible to pull it off in the agreed format. My inclination is the commission wanted to be able to mute either candidate as they so desired and this would be easier to do on a virtual debate. I fault the commission. 

Archived