2nd debate will be virtual (Update: Trump backs out)

TitanTiger

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aaaaand predictably, Trump uses the change as a pretext to back out.  He knows the handwriting is on the wall.

Trump says he won't participate in next debate after commission announces it will be virtual

By Dan Merica, Kevin Bohn and Chandelis Duster, CNN

Updated 8:15 AM ET, Thu October 8, 2020

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump said Thursday that he will not participate in the second presidential debate with Joe Biden after the Commission on Presidential Debates said the event will be held virtually in the wake of the President's positive coronavirus diagnosis.

"I am not going to do a virtual debate," Trump said on Fox Business. "I am not going to waste my time on a virtual debate."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/08/politics/second-presidential-debate-virtual/index.html

His groupies see him as an alpha.  He's 100% loudmouthed beta.  I'll refrain from using a certain part of the female anatomy to describe him because that would be an insult to strong, accomplished women everywhere.  Every woman I know has more gumption and fortitude in the pinky toe than Trump as ever possessed.

• TitanTiger changed the title to 2nd debate will be virtual (Update: Trump backs out)

Good! I don't see a point in a single other debate. After last night, the two sides are so contrasted, we should know who we are voting for by now. If you are still undecided, you either are looking for TV time or been in a walking of the dead type of Coma. 

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Good! I don't see a point in a single other debate. After last night, the two sides are so contrasted, we should know who we are voting for by now. If you are still undecided, you either are looking for TV time or been in a walking of the dead type of Coma. 

Well, the thing is, if you're Trump or you support him you should know that he needs these last two debates.  Biden doesn't.  Trump needs the opportunities to land some punches, create doubt, and shake up the trend line but he's forfeiting it.

What that should tell you is that he's giving up.  He sees the writing on the wall and he's just going to go into excuse mode now.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Well, the thing is, if you're Trump or you support him you should know that he needs these last two debates.  Biden doesn't.  Trump needs the opportunities to land some punches, create doubt, and shake up the trend line but he's forfeiting it.

What that should tell you is that he's giving up.  He sees the writing on the wall and he's just going to go into excuse mode now.

Why would a trump supporter care at this point? Many trump supporters feel like his record speaks for himself the last four years. I don't think him taking more pot shots is going to sway anyone anymore than it has. Legit saw an undecided voter say yesterday that he is going to vote for the republicans after seeing the VP debate because Pence seemed more confident. Biden should continue with the town halls if he likes, but I don't think two more debates is really going to do anything for either of these two at this point.  Now, people just need to get out and vote. 

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Why would a trump supporter care at this point? Many trump supporters feel like his record speaks for himself the last four years.

Because they want him to win and right now he's losing badly.

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't think him taking more pot shots is going to sway anyone anymore than it has. Legit saw an undecided voter say yesterday that he is going to vote for the republicans after seeing the VP debate because Pence seemed more confident. Biden should continue with the town halls if he likes, but I don't think two more debates is really going to do anything for either of these two at this point.  Now, people just need to get out and vote. 

I think Trump needs something to shake up the race.  If he doesn't get that, he's going to lose by 8-10 points.  The debates were on the docket opportunities to try and do that.  If he's going to pass on them, then he needs something equal or better and he'll have to manufacture it.  I just don't know that he can do it.

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Because they want him to win and right now he's losing badly.

I think Trump needs something to shake up the race.  If he doesn't get that, he's going to lose by 8-10 points.  The debates were on the docket opportunities to try and do that.  If he's going to pass on them, then he needs something equal or better and he'll have to manufacture it.  I just don't know that he can do it.

Have you talked to trump supporters? Lol

I haven't met a single trump supporter who thinks he is going to lose. Many of them cite 2016, where high percentage of the polls had him losing to Hillary and he won as the reason why they are comfortable.  I don't think 20 plus days is going to change the last four years or people's minds at this point. Maybe some undecided voters, but at this point, if someone is undecided, there is clearly something wrong with them. TBH with you, debating probably hurts him more than help him.

Just now, DAG said:

Have you talked to trump supporters? Lol

I haven't met a single trump supporter who thinks he is going to lose. Many of them cite 2016, where high percentage of the polls had him losing to Hillary and he won as the reason why they are comfortable.  I don't think 20 plus days is going to change the last four years or people's minds at this point. Maybe some undecided voters, but at this point, if someone is undecided, there is clearly something wrong with them. 

Yeah, they cite 2016 but conveniently leave out that by this point back then, the polls were a virtual dead heat. This ain't that. 

56 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Aaaaand predictably, Trump uses the change as a pretext to back out.  He knows the handwriting is on the wall.

His groupies see him as an alpha.  He's 100% loudmouthed beta.  I'll refrain from using a certain part of the female anatomy to describe him because that would be an insult to strong, accomplished women everywhere.  Every woman I know has more gumption and fortitude in the pinky toe than Trump as ever possessed.

If I'm Biden, I'd come out and say I'm still showing up because I think it's important to take direct questions from the American people in any format.  It's a Town Hall style debate.  Use it.  If Trump doesn't show, you now have a 90 minute paid for infomercial.

Also, where are all my morons on this forum who said Biden wouldn't show up to debates?  Got a big ole plate of crow here for ya.

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

If I'm Biden, I'd come out and say I'm still showing up because I think it's important to take direct questions from the American people in any format.  It's a Town Hall style debate.  Use it.  If Trump doesn't show, you now have a 90 minute paid for infomercial.

He absolutely has to call that bluff.  I sense that if Biden does, Trump will do an about-face.

25 minutes ago, DAG said:

Why would a trump supporter care at this point? Many trump supporters feel like his record speaks for himself the last four years. I don't think him taking more pot shots is going to sway anyone anymore than it has. Legit saw an undecided voter say yesterday that he is going to vote for the republicans after seeing the VP debate because Pence seemed more confident. Biden should continue with the town halls if he likes, but I don't think two more debates is really going to do anything for either of these two at this point.  Now, people just need to get out and vote. 

Agree. Any debate between Trump and Biden is going to be a mud slinging contest. We know what both will bring up. We know what their answers will be. I said before I think 90 something percent of people know who they will vote for. So what is the point.  If I were Trump I would let Biden go and leave him alone; he may forget where he is on one of his campaign trip Fiasco's and get lost and we may never see him again.

What's interesting is the town hall debate style favored Biden much more. But moving it virtual actually dilutes Biden's impact since he can't really be in the same room with the voters participating. Additionally, Trump could use the Oval Office or some other place in the White House as a backdrop, which gives him a visual advantage over Biden. 

14 minutes ago, channonc said:

What's interesting is the town hall debate style favored Biden much more. But moving it virtual actually dilutes Biden's impact since he can't really be in the same room with the voters participating. Additionally, Trump could use the Oval Office or some other place in the White House as a backdrop, which gives him a visual advantage over Biden. 

That Mussolini impression from the balcony sure was... well... impressive, wasn't it?

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Also, where are all my morons on this forum who said Biden wouldn't show up to debates?  Got a big ole plate of crow here for ya.

I'm still very surprised that Biden showed. That was out of character.

As to who to vote for, if you like the way Cuba and Venezuela are today and want to see the United States mimic them, vote Democrat. If you like America the way it's been for these 200+ years, vote Republican. It's an easy choice.

The rules were changed from what was agreed upon. If either one doesn't like the new rules, they clearly have the option of not participating. I suppose President Trump's thinking is that the change is simply a way of using the virus as an excuse for wimping out and he doesn't want to cave in to the wimps. C'mon, Joe. Man up and go face to face!

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The rules were changed from what was agreed upon. If either one doesn't like the new rules, they clearly have the option of not participating. I suppose President Trump's thinking is that the change is simply a way of using the virus as an excuse for wimping out and he doesn't want to cave in to the wimps. C'mon, Joe. Man up and go face to face!

Joe didn't make the rules.  He's just playing by the rules laid out for both candidates.  The only wimp here is Trump.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I'm still very surprised that Biden showed. That was out of character.

I know you're a zealot, but I have to ask based on your response.

How was it out of character?  Show me just one scheduled debate that he's ever ducked.  This whole idea that Biden wouldn't show up is a made up fantasy that some of you bought hook, line, and sinker.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Bruh, it's a Town Hall format.  You now are not only risking infecting the candidate, but also those citizens asking questions.  Trump has not yet tested negative for the virus.  It's irresponsible to have him around others right now without proper medical precautions, including PPE.

And the decision to go virtual wasn't made by the Biden team.  It was done by the Commission on Debates as advised by the Cleveland Clinic.  Got a problem with that, then go argue your vast public health knowledge to those guys.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

As to who to vote for, if you like the way Cuba and Venezuela are today and want to see the United States mimic them, vote Democrat. If you like America the way it's been for these 200+ years, vote Republican. It's an easy choice.

If someone likes the way Cuba and Venezuela are today, they're in for disappointment with Biden/Harris.

Now, if they'd like to see the US mimic some ideas from the Scandinavian countries, Biden might be your guy.

.......“It’s not acceptable,” Trump said on Fox Business in his first interview since he announced one week ago on Twitter that he had tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

“I’m not gonna waste my time in a virtual debate. That’s not what debating is all about — you sit behind the computer and do a debate, ridiculous. And then they cut you off whenever they want,” Trump said.......

:laugh:

49 minutes ago, homersapien said:

.......“It’s not acceptable,” Trump said on Fox Business in his first interview since he announced one week ago on Twitter that he had tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

“I’m not gonna waste my time in a virtual debate. That’s not what debating is all about — you sit behind the computer and do a debate, ridiculous. And then they cut you off whenever they want,” Trump said.......

:laugh:

Which is really what bothers him. He wants to ignore all the rules, talk over everyone incessantly, and bully the moderator on time. Making it simpler to mute his diarrhea of the mouth is anathema to him. 

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I know you're a zealot, but I have to ask based on your response.

How was it out of character?  Show me just one scheduled debate that he's ever ducked.  This whole idea that Biden wouldn't show up is a made up fantasy that some of you bought hook, line, and sinker.

If Mikey is a zealot what does that make you? 

8 hours ago, DAG said:

By more confident, do you mean more racist?  That dude sucks harder than Stormy Daniels in a vacuum chamber.

3 hours ago, jptiger said:

If Mikey is a zealot what does that make you? 

Someone who actually reads the news.  If you notice (and you probably haven't because you're kinda new around here), I don't defend stupid Democrat **** at every turn nor spit out hot takes not based in any form of reality. 

Archived