2nd debate will be virtual (Update: Trump backs out)

TitanTiger

42 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Live debates have microphones, too. 

And if they said we are having it live, but we will mute candidates if needed he’d back out as well I’m guessing. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

The first question that comes to my mind is why did they announce a change to the agreed terms before asking both sides to agree with it.  The second question I am asking myself is why did they try to change it prematurely instead of waiting until at least today to see if both candidates were cleared by doctors.  It seems to me attempting to change what both sides already agreed to should be a last resort if it is not possible to pull it off in the agreed format. My inclination is the commission wanted to be able to mute either candidate as they so desired and this would be easier to do on a virtual debate. I fault the commission. 

To the first question, they shouldn’t have to ask the candidates. They are responsible for the debate that they put have. Getting the candidates permission shouldn’t even be a thing. If they don’t like the format, they don’t have to participate. Also they probably assumed that one of the candidates wouldn’t act like a petulant child about having to do it virtually in the middle of a ******** pandemic.

To the second question you may be right. They may have wanted the ability to mute the candidates. And I don’t blame them after that clown show last time. Also, they probably have little trust in Trump actually being truthful about his diagnosis and it’s easier just to go ahead and schedule it virtually and start preparing for it like that. It shouldn’t matter, like I’ve said. Theoretically either way, the candidates should be giving their ideas, policies, and plans to the American people. Not arguing and throwing insults. The virtual debate just forces them to do that if they don’t want to look like a jacka**

I'm surprised that the first question that comes to somebody's mind isn't how the most protected human being on the planet managed to catch this virus. I mean, that's the reason this thread exists. Bitch and moan about the rule change all you want but it's not their fault that King Orange Dumbass went and got hisself sick. 

Of course, there's no reason why some of you folks would suddenly start valuing personal accountability at this point. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm surprised that the first question that comes to somebody's mind isn't how the most protected human being on the planet managed to catch this virus. I mean, that's the reason this thread exists. Bitch and moan about the rule change all you want but it's not their fault that King Orange Dumbass went and got hisself sick. 

Of course, there's no reason why some of you folks would suddenly start valuing personal accountability at this point. 

The accountability ultimately is at the feet of the Chinese government.  If Trump wasn't over this within 24 hours of the debate, then I would blame him if he didn't agree to a virtual debate.  

25 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

To the first question, they shouldn’t have to ask the candidates. They are responsible for the debate that they put have. Getting the candidates permission shouldn’t even be a thing. If they don’t like the format, they don’t have to participate. Also they probably assumed that one of the candidates wouldn’t act like a petulant child about having to do it virtually in the middle of a ******** pandemic.

To the second question you may be right. They may have wanted the ability to mute the candidates. And I don’t blame them after that clown show last time. Also, they probably have little trust in Trump actually being truthful about his diagnosis and it’s easier just to go ahead and schedule it virtually and start preparing for it like that. It shouldn’t matter, like I’ve said. Theoretically either way, the candidates should be giving their ideas, policies, and plans to the American people. Not arguing and throwing insults. The virtual debate just forces them to do that if they don’t want to look like a jacka**

This is completely illogical.  Both candidates agreed to the terms before the debates were announced. Trump didn't change anything nor did Biden.  The commission reneged on the agreed to terms. The commission is at fault because there is absolutely no reason to change the agreed to terms.  

1 minute ago, SocialCircle said:

This is completely illogical.  Both candidates agreed to the terms before the debates were announced. Trump didn't change anything nor did Biden.  The commission reneged on the agreed to terms. The commission is at fault because there is absolutely no reason to change the agreed to terms.  

First of all, Trump got COVID and isn’t being forthcoming about his recovery. Second of all who cares what the format of the debate is?! The change wasn’t unequally unfair to one candidate more than the other. Why can’t we just have a virtual debate and be done with it?

23 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

First of all, Trump got COVID and isn’t being forthcoming about his recovery. Second of all who cares what the format of the debate is?! The change wasn’t unequally unfair to one candidate more than the other. Why can’t we just have a virtual debate and be done with it?

Why can’t we have the live debate both sides agreed to and be done with it is the better question. 

4 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Why can’t we have the live debate both sides agreed to and be done with it is the better question. 

Because the commission doesn’t need their approval. It’s their job to do what they think is safest for all involved. It’s pretty simple. 

Just now, wdefromtx said:

Because the commission doesn’t need their approval. It’s their job to do what they think is safest for all involved. It’s pretty simple. 

This is illogical as the commission gets both sides to agree to the format and to the rules upfront. Yes, it is pretty simple. Also, it is safer now than ever to go live as one of the candidates is now immune for now from this virus. 

8 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

This is illogical as the commission gets both sides to agree to the format and to the rules upfront. Yes, it is pretty simple. Also, it is safer now than ever to go live as one of the candidates is now immune for now from this virus. 

It’s safer to go virtual. Trump can quit being a baby and just do the debate. Who cares if they got both sides to agree up front. Situation changed and they changed accordingly, one side agreed the other didn’t. The commission did what they think is logical to make things safer. 

3 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

Let's be completely accurate here. Trump backed out after the commission tried to change the previously agreed upon format of the debate. 

It wasn't a change in format.  It was still a town hall.  Questions still coming from audience members rather than a moderator.  Same length of time to answer, length of time for rebuttals and so on.  Literally the only difference was him and Biden being there virtually instead of in the venue.  That's not a change in format and it's a lame excuse for dodging the debate.

40 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It wasn't a change in format.  It was still a town hall.  Questions still coming from audience members rather than a moderator.  Same length of time to answer, length of time for rebuttals and so on.  Literally the only difference was him and Biden being there virtually instead of in the venue.  That's not a change in format and it's a lame excuse for dodging the debate.

You don’t get to make up your own definitions. It is indeed a change to the format per the definition of the word. 

On 10/8/2020 at 6:44 PM, Brad_ATX said:

Someone who actually reads the news.  If you notice (and you probably haven't because you're kinda new around here), I don't defend stupid Democrat **** at every turn nor spit out hot takes not based in any form of reality. 

Actually I’ve been around here since 2003. I usually avoid this section. Thought I’d peek in. 

15 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

You don’t get to make up your own definitions. It is indeed a change to the format per the definition of the word. 

Jesus. It's not a change in format. It's a change in medium. 

1 hour ago, SocialCircle said:

Your sheer callousness toward a human life continues to amaze and gall me. Your last sentence gives the very reason this debate should still be virtual - JOE BIDEN HAS NOT HAD THE CORONAVIRUS. The man is 77 years old and in a high risk group. Why is it so many Trump supporters think Biden wouldn't live through his first term but he for some reason has nothing to worry about if he gets Covid?

Your last sentence is predicated on the assumption that Trump and his doctors are being completely truthful about his recovery. Given their lack of transparency, why the hell would anyone trust them? We're just supposed to believe his case was not severe, even though the drug regimen he was given would indicate otherwise? Would you trust these people with your life? How many of us would be allowed to return back to work as quickly as Trump? Just being exposed to someone often forces you into quarantine for 14 days, even if you don't test positive. 

Additionally, Donald Trump would not be the only person from his administration there. He will have numerous aides, assistants, campaign workers, and others with him. What are the chances of one of them crossing paths with someone from Biden's staff? Given their recent track record, I ask again, would you trust them with your life?

Cut it out with this ridiculous attempt to defend this pathetic man and realize that human lives are at stake.

10 minutes ago, jptiger said:

Actually I’ve been around here since 2003. I usually avoid this section. Thought I’d peek in. 

Probably smart to avoid this section!! Lmao 

Brad is one of the more open minded guys (of both sides). Backs up his opinion in solid fashion. I’ve also seen him have to fend off folks because he will go against the grain if that’s where the facts lead him. He’s backed me up a time or two and lord knows we have differing views on some things. 

3 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

And if they said we are having it live, but we will mute candidates if needed he’d back out as well I’m guessing. 

Of course he would.  He believes his time is his and the opponent’s time is his too and doesn’t want anyone able to keep him from taking it. 

1 hour ago, SocialCircle said:

Everything about it was the same except for not letting Typhoid Mary be there in person to possibly infect people. So they also made Biden be virtual. It’s not a difference worth bitching about. The format of the debate itself was unchanged. 

But we both know he pussed out for one of two reasons:

1.  Fears that he wouldn’t be able to have unfettered ability to talk over everyone else at will. 

2.  He sees the writing on the wall and is laying groundwork for the litany of excuses for the big fat ‘L’  he’s probably taking in a few weeks.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Everything about it was the same except for not letting Typhoid Mary be there in person to possibly infect people. So they also made Biden be virtual. It’s not a difference worth bitching about. The format of the debate itself was unchanged. 

But we both know he pussed out for one of two reasons:

1.  Fears that he wouldn’t be able to have unfettered ability to talk over everyone else at will. 

2.  He sees the writing on the wall and is laying groundwork for the litany of excuses for the big fat ‘L’  he’s probably taking in a few weeks.

Do you really see #2 as a possible reason? The man appeared amazingly energetic in Sanford tonight. Hard to believe he is getting over a mild case of the flu or a bad cold. 

Can buy #1 and him not being allowed to talk at will. So be it....makes no difference to the people that intend on voting for him. 

2 hours ago, jptiger said:

Therefore you're pretty new around here when it comes to this forum.

23 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Do you really see #2 as a possible reason? The man appeared amazingly energetic in Sanford tonight. Hard to believe he is getting over a mild case of the flu or a bad cold. 

Being energetic and laying ground work for excuses on a potential upcoming loss don't correlate.

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Being energetic and laying ground work for excuses on a potential upcoming loss don't correlate.

I can understand your thinking Brad. Just did not appear to be a man looking for "excuses".....left me wondering if he has actually had Covid.

3 hours ago, Leftfield said:

Jesus. It's not a change in format. It's a change in medium. 

Your sheer callousness toward a human life continues to amaze and gall me. Your last sentence gives the very reason this debate should still be virtual - JOE BIDEN HAS NOT HAD THE CORONAVIRUS. The man is 77 years old and in a high risk group. Why is it so many Trump supporters think Biden wouldn't live through his first term but he for some reason has nothing to worry about if he gets Covid?

Your last sentence is predicated on the assumption that Trump and his doctors are being completely truthful about his recovery. Given their lack of transparency, why the hell would anyone trust them? We're just supposed to believe his case was not severe, even though the drug regimen he was given would indicate otherwise? Would you trust these people with your life? How many of us would be allowed to return back to work as quickly as Trump? Just being exposed to someone often forces you into quarantine for 14 days, even if you don't test positive. 

Additionally, Donald Trump would not be the only person from his administration there. He will have numerous aides, assistants, campaign workers, and others with him. What are the chances of one of them crossing paths with someone from Biden's staff? Given their recent track record, I ask again, would you trust them with your life?

Cut it out with this ridiculous attempt to defend this pathetic man and realize that human lives are at stake.

This is completely illogical given the fact Biden agreed to 3 face to face debates and even participated in one. According to you he callously disregarded his own life already. 

21 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

This is completely illogical given the fact Biden agreed to 3 face to face debates and even participated in one. According to you he callously disregarded his own life already. 

You cannot be this dumb. Trump's administration hadn't exploded with Covid when Biden agreed to them.

13 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

What part of the situation changed is it that you don’t understand? They had a massive spread of the virus presumably at the first debate so the commission decided that virtual was safer than in person. Sometimes plans change, I’m pretty sure all these NFL teams agreed to play on Sunday, Monday or Thursday...but guess what? Some are playing on a Tuesday night. 

I’m pretty sure the commission has the right to change things to protect people involved. I’m pretty sure the candidates have the right to agree or not. But as the sitting president you suck it up and try to represent yourself and defend your side of things. Instead he’s acting like a child. Funny thing is everyone said Biden would do this and bail on the debates. 

I don't see why it is risky. They can put up plexiglass like they did at the VP debate.

And what about science? Scientists at the CDC say that 10 days after a positive test you are safe if you have had no symptoms for at least 24 hours.

Does the debate commission not believe in science?

Archived