Cubelic on if Bo Nix has regressed

aubiefifty

41 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

It's called the sophomore slump, happens all the time to even future hall of famers. They're following a solid frosh year but push too hard. Next story...

No actually you see the biggest improvements between the first and second year.....that was a good try though!

15 hours ago, cole256 said:

No actually you see the biggest improvements between the first and second year.....that was a good try though!

So, if the QB doesn’t improve it could be as if he is in a slump.  Therefore, if the FOTY is not performing in the next year, he is in the Sophomore slump.

15 hours ago, DAG said:

Despite him winning SEC freshman POTY. Bo did not have a solid year . He had an okay year for a freshman but he played horrible against actual quality teams. Yes, this includes our win against Bama. 

It’s honestly amazing how incapable one was to say this without being smited just a month ago. Time is a crazy thing 

Has he regressed? Let's see.

Last year he had poor mechanics and threw off his back foot and couldn't square his shoulders. This year -- Ditto.
Last year he could not step up in a pocket, scrambled early, scared. This year -- Ditto.
Last year he was erratic passing, off target much of the time, under-throwing receivers, behind receivers. This year -- Ditto.
Last year he had trouble placing the ball for short passes to RBs, screens, and short routes. This year -- ditto.
Last year he did not go thru progressions, focused on one receiver rather than dropping down, going for bombs. This year -- ditto.

True, no Spring practice, but for all his study and counseling of other players, it's like book larnin' instead of practical implementation. Those who cannot do, teach. He knows a whole bunch, he just does not have the talent to play the game at a high level.

That is not a coaching failure, because he has been coached about all of this for a decade, even in elite QB camps. He just cannot actually do it in game situations.

The coaching failure was CGM promising his daddy that Bo woukd be the starter from day one in order to get him to sign with Auburn. Well, that, and not having a decent QB in reserve when his starter turned out to be mediocre.

9 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

So, if the QB doesn’t improve it could be as if he is in a slump.  Therefore, if the FOTY is not performing in the next year, he is in the Sophomore slump.

It looks more like regression than a slump. 

4 hours ago, AURex said:

not having a decent QB in reserve when his starter turned out to be mediocre.

And we'll undoubtedly never know. Gatewood never got a chance when things went sour and I highly doubt Loy will either. I don't think he can face the fact he was wrong about Bo or that political motives were in play from the start. Either way, for better or worse he hitched his wagon to Nix.

8 hours ago, leglessdan said:

It looks more like regression than a slump. 

It’s in the eye of the beholder.  I would think Bo and his followers believe it’s a slump.  Others, not so much.

On 10/20/2020 at 2:19 PM, WarTim said:

Bo has obviously been told not to take a sack EVER. Think about it......

Just like Stidham was told don't throw interceptions so we only let you throw screens, and  bombs. We know where that paranoia come from, who rather.

I'm certainly not writing this kids career off yet. We have had QBs look equally bad or worse as young guys and have then lightbulb flick on and become good QBs. It takes time

I agree with the article. Bo has been groomed since high school.  It's in his head, his demeanor, that he thinks he is a superior athletic QB. He probably tells himself in his failures that he was "so close to making that play" instead of maybe thinking I dont have to be a human highlight playmaker on every play, he may turn into a good QB. I think he brought into the hype of being a 5* an and it's in his head to prove it every play. 

I am pulling for the kid but unless his demeanor changes he will fail. 

Archived