2021 4 * SG Trey Alexander Signs With AU! (Update 11/18/20)

GwillMac6

I just took a peak at the Top 100 2021 Bball recruits on 247.  A huge portion have already committed so this is a huge pickup considering  there are not a ton of  uncommitted kids left in the Top 100. Loved, loved, loved this kids commitment video!

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think if trey wasn't here we'd still have a chance. I've seen offenses where Bruce was able to really showcase 2 high level guards. I think 3 would be too much though. I don't think any other guard on the roster would make scoot worried about beating them out

I guess I can see where you're coming from, but I rather doubt he'd be all that willing to play the Samir Doughty role if he's looking to be a one and done at the point position, so I don't think that's a particularly high probability. 

50 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I guess I can see where you're coming from, but I rather doubt he'd be all that willing to play the Samir Doughty role if he's looking to be a one and done at the point position, so I don't think that's a particularly high probability. 

Doughty just wasn't elite. Pearl has offenses where two small guards averaged 20. Now since these guysare elite they should get buckets. 

I forget what year but one of his offenses 5 guys pretty much averaged double figures.....that's sick. 

And I love how Pearl conforms his offense to his players. One year the two small guards averaged doubles next year his big men. And I was most impressed how he used Tyler Smith. Inside, outside didn't matter he made him a mismatch for everybody....but that's why Pearl is AMAZING

• Like 2
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I just want to give a shout out to muhhhhhhh boy my ride or die my best fraaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnd @Tiger He has known for a couple of weeks that the hay was in the barn and Trey was AU bound. But he was sworn to secrecy and could not say anything!!!!! WHAT A NICE SUPRISE THIS WAS!!! Just a couple of weeks ago it looked like we were 2 or 3!!! WOOOOO!!!!!! WAR DAMN BRUUUUUUUUUUCE!!! and War damn our bball crutin insider TIGERH!!!!!!! LETS GOO!!!!!

Lol I missed this one @Tiger is an insider!?! Man is there anything you don't do?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Tennessee was number 1 in the nation with a bunch of talent. 

He seems to be getting back to those types of players. The long, lean, break you down or shoot over you type. I'm excited to watch the team continue towards that trajectory

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He seems to be getting back to those types of players. The long, lean, break you down or shoot over you type. I'm excited to watch the team continue towards that trajectory

If I remember correctly his teams would be very aggressive and switch everything. Imagine on defense having big guards when we had chumma Wiley and Horace! 

But that's what I'd tell people to go look at his teams when he recruited a few years.....it defense l seemed for a while a good amount of people felt that Bruce went out and wanted small guards. If he sees talent he's going to go after it but he prefer taller guards. Heck any smart coach would.

• Like 3

As Cole says Bruce prefers tall guards if they are very talented but if he can't get the tall guard he wants he will get the best guard he can (Harper, Brown, Doughty, Mccormick). Then he develops them.  The more I watch this young mans film the more impressed I am with him. He has a really good handle for a SG, his pull up jumper is a thing of beauty, his three is effortless and while he can sky he finds different ways to score inside.  He may be the most complete offensive guard Bruce has had since he has been at Auburn. Then his length and quickness he has the potential to be a really good defender. 

One thing about a Bruce coached team is every player becomes a better player both offensively and defensively when he plays for Bruce, but especially defensively.  I would not be surprised after a year or two under Bruce if this young man becomes a scoring machine who also knows how to setup other players for easy baskets.

23 hours ago, cole256 said:

I know it was but they also talked about he couldn't shoot and that was bs so I don't too much believe it. Unless he was doing some shady like recruiting for another team a coach would be an idiot to not recruit him and I don't think Bruce is an idiot.

There's no way cooper is a one year guy. He won't be a two year unless his shot becomes absolutely incredible

I just passed it along. It could've been that his press for Jabari and Scoot ramped up (as they have), and that was what he wanted more. Or Nate Oats just made a killer late push. I just think it's strange how much momentum we had for the kid and then it was all but assured Bama got him with like a week and a half left.

I personally have personally felt like Sharife is going to be abt as close to his ceiling as he's gonna be by soph year. His frame is already getting to where it needs to be, I think he's already nearly a NBA level facilitator. He's always gonna have undesirable arm length and I just personally think he'll work around those as much as he can by that point. but who knows 

you can look to how hard BP pushed for Ashton Hagans to see that he'd ultimately like the tall, super strong, defend 1 and 2 equally type of guards. Plus Davion was supposed to be the face post JH

I would love to get that mold for a backup again 

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

you can look to how hard BP pushed for Ashton Hagans

And had him silently committed to Auburn before the Chuck Person fiasco.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I just passed it along. It could've been that his press for Jabari and Scoot ramped up (as they have), and that was what he wanted more. Or Nate Oats just made a killer late push. I just think it's strange how much momentum we had for the kid and then it was all but assured Bama got him with like a week and a half left.

I personally have personally felt like Sharife is going to be abt as close to his ceiling as he's gonna be by soph year. His frame is already getting to where it needs to be, I think he's already nearly a NBA level facilitator. He's always gonna have undesirable arm length and I just personally think he'll work around those as much as he can by that point. but who knows 

Yeah I was just like you at first saying maybe.....then they said he couldn't shoot. When that was said then there wasn't any credibility to the story after that.

I watched him play against Tommy murr live, with my own eyes......and if he can't shoot then a majority of our guys past and present can't shoot.....you don't give the ball to a guy to win the state title if he can't shoot.....and if he can't shoot he probably misses the big shot.....

If he can't shoot then the NBA isn't interested in you when you are a guard. And I think we had a conversation before and you told me you hoop. If you hoop you know you can tell by a guy's shot attempts if he can shoot or not. A guy who takes NBA range 3's and a guy who will pull up almost half court can shoot.

And he dropped 57 today. A guy can't score like that when the game plan is literally just stop you. To score that many points you have to shoot over the top of them because they are definitely going to clog the lane and double you if you try to drive too much. 

I'm not directing this to you I'm just saying in general it's ok to say we just lost the recruit. 

• Like 1

sfa.gif

On 11/14/2020 at 10:44 PM, cole256 said:

If he can't shoot then the NBA isn't interested in you when you are a guard. And I think we had a conversation before and you told me you hoop. If you hoop you know you can tell by a guy's shot attempts if he can shoot or not. A guy who takes NBA range 3's and a guy who will pull up almost half court can shoot.

Yeah I don't want this to be a thing where it seems like I bought in that logic. I do think:

1. The guys connected on here was probably told that 

2. Nate Oats has been on a streak of recruiting about as well as anybody 

As for JD, I thought the world of him too. Combo guard that gives you everything Trey does with better athleticism, and he has true facilitating/PG instincts. I think you made the DLo comparison on here in terms of those two fields, right? 

(Thank you for mentioning this 57 point game, I'm watching it right now, and...sheesh)

not to deviate too far off and take away from Trey, but I think it's worth applauding that we can even hypothesize that Bruce chose between this 5 star guard now for another 5 star guard later. That would've got you laughed off even this board a few years ago 

Welcome to AU Trey! He looks like exactly what we needed to pair with Jabari. Great combo guard that can score in bunches and also is comfortable handling the ball when needed. Pearl nails it again with getting a high quality player that fits exactly what the team needs. 

Also loved the mid range game Trey showed in the highlights i watched. Thats always a good sign the kid can actually shoot vs a highlight reel that is just dunks and finishing at the basket

On 11/16/2020 at 12:22 PM, gravejd said:

Welcome to AU Trey! He looks like exactly what we needed to pair with Jabari. Great combo guard that can score in bunches and also is comfortable handling the ball when needed. Pearl nails it again with getting a high quality player that fits exactly what the team needs. 

Also loved the mid range game Trey showed in the highlights i watched. Thats always a good sign the kid can actually shoot vs a highlight reel that is just dunks and finishing at the basket

It is his mid-range game that has me the most excited. It is the one thing Auburn has been missing we have had great finishers and great 3 point shooters some who could do both finish and hit the three but nobody who could consistently hit the pull up jumper which is sadly becoming a lost art.

• Like 2

• ellitor changed the title to 2021 4 * SG Trey Alexander Signs With AU! (Update 11/18/20)
  • 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Tiger said:

This kid is going to be an incredible addition to our team next year

Alexander and Powell will be quite a duo at SG. 

• Love 1