If Gus isn’t fired tomorrow, AU is a loser institution

Swamp Eagle

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Don't forget the Kentucky game too.  We are 2-3 really bad calls away from being 3-5 at best.

Nope, I was told that it was silly to look at the game this way. Misfortunate calls, luck, crazy mishaps? All hogwash.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Don't forget the Kentucky game too.  We are 2-3 really bad calls away from being 3-5 at best.

I have no idea why this is so hard to comprehend. 

26 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Matt Campbell and Luke Fickell are just begging for a chance at a place with our potential.

And the bolded part is so spot on.

50/50 one of them ends up at Michigan this time around because Harbaugh is toast after today. I would give my right nut for Luke Fickell to come coach for Auburn. 

This....this is the point.  Gus is responsible for four of these performances.  It's not that we are getting beat by Bama when we play there.  It's that we aren't even competitive.

PXL_20201129_021602624.jpg

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Nope, I was told that it was silly to look at the game this way. Misfortunate calls, luck, crazy mishaps? All hogwash.

Lol when I point out anything that I think is flawed in a debate with him it's you are so petty. Other guy who literally said the exact same thing I said he told him no problem no harm no foul...... lol

1 minute ago, WalkingCarpet said:

50/50 one of them ends up at Michigan this time around because Harbaugh is toast after today. I would give my right nut for Luke Fickell to come coach for Auburn. 

No way they fire Harbaugh. Their leadership is almost as pathetic as ours. 

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol when I point out anything that I think is flawed in a debate with him it's you are so petty. Other guy who literally said the exact same thing I said he told him no problem no harm no foul...... lol

For me I just don't understand the extremes and the constant spinzone type of stuff. 

4 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Man, I've already had a vasectomy.  What's a testicle at this point?  Take it from me if it means getting Fickell.

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

Everybody look up above! This is the exact excuse some posters also said would happen in the pseudo optimism thread. As soon as we get killed a portion of the fanbase would be like "This Alabama team is bona fide studs, they are the greatest, we shouldn't be surprised." But these same folks were fine questioning others loyalty when the opposing opinion was of be realistic.

But the real truth is not the fact that we loss (Although that sucks). It is the fact that we get manhandled when that should not be the case.

1. Because of our talent

2. Because we are paying a coach top tier money to field a top tier team

Why is this so hard to comprehend?

For me, I just don’t see us getting anyone better. It’s a matter of probability. Gus averages 8-9 wins a year. Getting up to an average of 10-11 wins would mean hiring one of if not the greatest coaches in Auburn history. I’ve not seen anyone throw out a name that I think can be that. The last three names I’ve heard are Fleck, James Franklin, and Cristobal. (Before that it was Tom Herman and Scott Frost.) Go look at how the first two are doing this year and evaluate whether you think they’d actually be better than Gus here. Cristobal just lost to Oregon State, whose coach had a like a 7-18 record. That sounds like the exact thing people here are mad about with Gus... losing games he shouldn’t lose. So, how is he an upgrade either?

If someone could answer these three questions, my opinion would be different. Who is it now that people think will be better? Why should I trust those names when posters on this forum were so wrong on pretty much all the coaches in the past? What is this magic success plan that’s going to yield us someone that’s going to get us to 10-11 win seasons?

1 minute ago, DAG said:

For me I just don't understand the extremes and the constant spinzone type of stuff. 

I have no idea how anyone can spin the product we put on the field. Literally there is no defending it.  

2 hours ago, DAG said:

The money thing is killing me. Quite frankly to me it is about risk and reward. It is one thing if we were still performing from an offense stand point or recruiting was high but that is not the case. We are going backwards quickly . 

Exactly. At the time when bama hired Saban, we ridiculed them how they basically sold their souls with the kind of money they paid him. After he resurrected their program, how many tens of millions of dollars have they generated since? Pump new fire and optimism into this program and the money will quickly follow.

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

For me, I just don’t see us getting anyone better. It’s a matter of probability. Gus averages 8-9 wins a year. Getting up to an average of 10-11 wins would mean hiring one of if not the greatest coaches in Auburn history. I’ve not seen anyone throw out a name that I think can be that. The last three names I’ve heard are Fleck, James Franklin, and Cristobal. (Before that it was Tom Herman and Scott Frost.) Go look at how the first two are doing this year and evaluate whether you think they’d actually be better than Gus here. Cristobal just lost to Oregon State, whose coach had a like a 7-18 record. That sounds like the exact thing people here are mad about with Gus... losing games he shouldn’t lose. So, how is he an upgrade either.

If someone could answer these three questions, my opinion would be different. Who is it now that people think will be better? Why should I trust those names when posters on this forum were so wrong on pretty much all the coaches in the past? What is this magic success plan that’s going to yield us someone that’s going to get us to 10-11 win seasons?

This. We can easily go from the frying pan, into the fire.

Just now, AUFriction said:

For me, I just don’t see us getting anyone better. It’s a matter of probability. Gus averages 8-9 wins a year. Getting up to an average of 10-11 wins would mean hiring one of if not the greatest coaches in Auburn history. I’ve not seen anyone throw out a name that I think can be that. The last three names I’ve heard are Fleck, James Franklin, and Cristobal. (Before that it was Tom Herman and Scott Frost.) Go look at how the first two are doing this year and evaluate whether you think they’d actually be better than Gus here. Cristobal just lost to Oregon State, whose coach had a like a 7-18 record. That sounds like the exact thing people here are mad about with Gus... losing games he shouldn’t lose. So, how is he an upgrade either.

Okay but at this point. I am not of the mindset of even worrying about getting better (Although that is what I prefer). I think it is frankly maddening to keep someone who you are paying lots of money to meet certain expectations when that is not the case. Gus Malzhan has not mastered the offensive side of the ball and now he has let recruiting get off the rails. What benefit do you see keeping him here? There are people who can get paid half of what Gus makes and have the results we are seeing now this season. 

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

For me, I just don’t see us getting anyone better. It’s a matter of probability. Gus averages 8-9 wins a year. Getting up to an average of 10-11 wins would mean hiring one of if not the greatest coaches in Auburn history. I’ve not seen anyone throw out a name that I think can be that. The last three names I’ve heard are Fleck, James Franklin, and Cristobal. (Before that it was Tom Herman and Scott Frost.) Go look at how the first two are doing this year and evaluate whether you think they’d actually be better than Gus here. Cristobal just lost to Oregon State, whose coach had a like a 7-18 record. That sounds like the exact thing people here are mad about with Gus... losing games he shouldn’t lose. So, how is he an upgrade either?

Just a question... you would rather hang with Gus than have say.. Cristobal.. or Fickell or Napier? 

1 minute ago, Never2Yield said:

This. We can easily go from the frying pan, into the fire.

I hate to tell you this but the iceberg is a couple kilometers ahead and we are sailing straight to it. 

6 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Cristobal could at least recruit.

Remember when everybody was picking Kentucky to win and Auburn won going away?

Auburn is 5-3 with losses to a bad USCe, a good UGA team, and probably the eventual national champ Bama team.  All the other games are wins no matter what way you want to come up to count them as Ls.  

The goal going forward is 7-3 in a year that Auburn is rebuilding both lines of scrimmage.  Probably a 9-3 season in normal times.  That’s not too bad.

26 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Man, I've already had a vasectomy.  What's a testicle at this point?  Take it from me if it means getting Fickell.

I'll do the job if we can get Mario C

7 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Just a question... you would rather hang with Gus than have say.. Cristobal.. or Fickell or Napier? 

Gus versus Cristobal- Toss up with a slight Gus lean. Cristobal had a senior heavy team and a first round QB last year, and they couldn’t win that wimpy conference. This year... well I address that specifically in my post. He just lost to a horrible team. For me, my biggest Gus complaint is one unacceptable loss a year. So, to me, Cristobal seems like he could be even with Gus. In that case, I’d rather stick with the status quo... the devil you know if you will. 

Ficknell versus Gus- Still Gus. Ficknell has done good things with that program, but he’s never been in charge of a power 5 team. On top of that, he has not left Ohio in his career. That makes me think he’d be hesitant to come here anyway, but that could also lead to recruiting problems especially early on. So much of recruiting is knowing the local coaches in the areas you want to recruit in. For me, there’s just too many question makes with hiring him, and that’s assuming he wants to leave Ohio. 

Napier versus Gus. Gus hands down would be my answer. He’s achieved modest success in a group of five conference. There’s nothing in his history that screams likelihood of success here. As a case for comparison, someone else had almost similar success with a group of five school from Louisiana... Derek Dooley.

The best option in this bunch I think would be Ficknell, but I still have concerns that he could actually bring the program down from where it is now. He’d either be a great hire, or he’d completely flop. But again, I don’t see him leaving the Midwest. 

17 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Have no answers for your questions but I guess your OK with....................

PXL_20201129_021602624.jpg

lets just keep going the same old same old if so lets justs

God we have got to do something this is just misery

9 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Remember when everybody was picking Kentucky to win and Auburn won going away?

Auburn is 5-3 with losses to a bad USCe, a good UGA team, and probably the eventual national champ Bama team.  All the other games are wins no matter what way you want to come up to count them as Ls.  

The goal going forward is 7-3 in a year that Auburn is rebuilding both lines of scrimmage.  Probably a 9-3 season in normal times.  That’s not too bad.

i agree though i suspect we lose one of the next two games. Gus isn't going anywhere this year. It is delusional to think he will be fired. Next year sets up nicely for a run at it all. if it doesn't manifest I'll join the chorus of fire gus but he has done enough and shone enough to make me believe this team will be pretty damn special next year. 

14 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Cristobal could at least recruit.

Okay. This recruiting knock is nonsensical. Gus has put together some of the best recruiting classes we’ve ever had. The lowest ranked one I believe had several players like Seth Williams that were way under ranked. If you are talking about this year’s class, I don’t think you should fixate on it too much. Zac Blackerby in my opinion is the most objective of the Auburn podcasters/reporters. He said earlier this week that his sources are all saying the recruiting class is actually likely to finish very strong, citing that he’d heardseveral elite level players have essentially picked Auburn but haven’t announced yet. So, the recruiting knock really doesn’t hold up.

Archived