If Gus isn’t fired tomorrow, AU is a loser institution

Swamp Eagle

1 minute ago, AUBourne said:

The funny thing about how some Auburn fans some care about image over quality is that outside of the AU fan base the nation sees Auburn as a cesspool of cheating and bad conduct anyway. The Alabama and national media always portray Auburn as the bad guy. 

Lets be honest some fans really need that LBS excuse about how Auburn develops gentlemen and Bama is just a football factory. 

Actually, the rest of the nation doesn't think about Auburn at all.  

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

There’s no defending it.

What? You’re the one who thought tank shouldn’t play because of a bruise. You’re a loser with a loser mentality. 

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yea tubby was no role model. He lied every year. Went duck hunting instead of recruiting. Gene created the biggest destruction of a program in 2012 I have ever witnessed and Gus has been a complete failure to coach these players up. Not sure where anyone got AU as having a model coach lately. 

They took their cues from Jay jacobs who rather hire who would make the best Sunday school friend than the best football coach. we got extremely lucky because we actually fired one of our better coaches all time only to hire a 5-19 head coach. IDC that he "won" a natty it was still the worst hire in sports history. Chizik true colors of how bad of a head coach he actually was came out in 2012.

I just don’t understand AU fans basking in mediocrity. AU has went to the national title game 2 times in the last ten years . AU should expect more .just be competitive. 

Just now, JDUBB4AU said:

I just don’t understand AU fans basking in mediocrity. AU has went to the national title game 2 times in the last ten years . AU should expect more .just be competitive. 

Response from the Gus advocates: That was because Gus. Who else can do that?! 

Just letting you know what is coming.

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

It’s more complicated than that. In addition to the booster problem...

1. There’s a portion of the Auburn family (count me in this group) that believes in winning with class. We care who our head coach is and how he represents the program. That group is large enough to have a voice, even though few of them hang out on message boards. That group also includes influential voices like Bo Jackson. (We passed on Petrino and Kirby Smart in the past because they didn’t have “Auburn values.”) A coach with a “win first” mentality like Saban, Kiffin, or Mullen will never win over the fanbase just like Bowden never did, and is unlikely to even get hired in the first place.

2. Especially right now, it’s impossible to get elite coaches here. Even though we are historically a great program, we have to compete with Georgia and Bama every year both on the field and in recruiting. A lot of coaches will pass us over right now because of how strong those programs are. 

3. Our fans (rightfully or not) have developed an outward perception of excessively inflated expectations. Fans in other conferences (I have a lot of friends in Michigan in particular) think we’re nuts for wanting free of Malzahn. Arkansas keeps trying to lure him away. The irony is that, the harder the fanbase pushes to get rid of Malzahn, the worse the perception will probably get, making it harder to find a new coach when we do replace him.

Its a mess. I probably sound like a broken record at this point because I keep saying this. But, as frustrated as I’ve been with Gus at times, the expectation of us winning 10-11 games a year is insane. And, a new coaching hire will more likely just lead to records at or below what we’ve had with Gus. 

Scott Adams has a new book out.  

5 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

1. There’s a portion of the Auburn family (count me in this group) that believes in winning with class. We care who our head coach is and how he represents the program. That group is large enough to have a voice, even though few of them hang out on message boards. That group also includes influential voices like Bo Jackson. (We passed on Petrino and Kirby Smart in the past because they didn’t have “Auburn values.”) A coach with a “win first” mentality like Saban, Kiffin, or Mullen will never win over the fanbase just like Bowden never did, and is unlikely to even get hired in the first place.

2. Especially right now, it’s impossible to get elite coaches here. Even though we are historically a great program, we have to compete with Georgia and Bama every year both on the field and in recruiting. A lot of coaches will pass us over right now because of how strong those programs are. 

3. Our fans (rightfully or not) have developed an outward perception of excessively inflated expectations. Fans in other conferences (I have a lot of friends in Michigan in particular) think we’re nuts for wanting free of Malzahn. Arkansas keeps trying to lure him away. The irony is that, the harder the fanbase pushes to get rid of Malzahn, the worse the perception will probably get, making it harder to find a new coach when we do replace him.

Its a mess. I probably sound like a broken record at this point because I keep saying this. But, as frustrated as I’ve been with Gus at times, the expectation of us winning 10-11 games a year is insane. And, a new coaching hire will more likely just lead to records at or below what we’ve had with Gus. 

And you just exposed once again why we will never be a top 5 program. 

12 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

AU has way to many fans on social media saying ish like it's still great to be a Auburn Tiger after getting our ass beat by our biggest rival. Also saying stuff like we will get em next year. War Eagle anyways

This is how a lot of our fan base roll. They seriously don't care about winning or losing. It's embarrassing and a loser mentality. 

Just now, AuMarine said:

And you just exposed once again why we will never be a top 5 program. 

Half of that is not even based in reality

Losing with class is still losing and I am tired of hearing Gus repeat the same worn-out excuses week after week. I don´t really consider that losing with class either, it´s more like apathy.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Half of that is not even based in reality

My opinion.. but if you are happy with our program you are part of the problem.. either we want to play with the big boys and be a relevant program or we want to keep CGM and rinse and repeat every year. It is maddening really. 

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

AU has way to many fans on social media saying ish like it's still great to be a Auburn Tiger after getting our ass beat by our biggest rival. Also saying stuff like we will get em next year. War Eagle anyways

.... GTFO. This is how a lot of our fan base roll. They seriously don't care about winning or losing. It's embarrassing and a loser mentality. 

Too many? That’s like 3/4 of the fan base. The folks on this forum are screaming about being angry are in the minority. If youre expecting Auburn to be anything different, prepare to be endlessly disappointed. Those folks aren’t going anywhere.

We aren’t bama. This fan base is not bama’s fan base. Win at all cost isn’t in the hearts of most of the Auburn family.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

.... GTFO. This is how a lot of our fan base roll. They seriously don't care about winning or losing. It's embarrassing and a loser mentality. 

To a lot of the alumni, Auburn means more than a win or loss on the football field.  So yeah, I would definitely be in the category of still saying War Eagle after a loss like this.  The loss is a bad feeling, but it doesn’t change my opinion of the school or affect my experiences as a student.

12 minutes ago, AURealist said:

They can write whatever they want.  Nobody outside Alabama cares.  

And the point is the image of Auburn is not based on the head football coach.  Nobody cares if the Auburn football coach goes to Sunday school.  Any Auburn fan that would rather have Gene Chizik over Nick Saban or Kirby Smart as a football coach is a poor supporter and doing the players no favors.

7 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

STFU you freaking goober. Got damn this is maybe the most embarrassing post I have ever seen in here. You just outed yourself saying you don't care if AU wins or loses and that you don't want a good coach who has a win first or win at all costs mentality just because ohhhh nooooo those coaches may actually curse and not be perfect little angels. Wtf do you even watch sports or post on a Auburn message board? The point of sports is to win. Period. Losing is not fun. Winning is. Sports is just entertainment and fun but guess what?! You can't have fun or be entertained if your school is losing.

You don't love Auburn as much as you think your self righteouss ass does if you don't want Auburn to be as successful as it can be by putting all these restrictions and stipulations on who they can and cannot hire.... You would make a great soccer mom with all the participation trophies you would hand out after losses from your mini van.

1 minute ago, Dan-0 said:

Losing with class is still losing

No such thing after Gus used Auburn to get a raise for himself by pitting us against Arkansas! But yes, total classy guy.

26 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

IDK what it is or when it happened but so much of our fan base would rather lose with a good man than win with a guy who is rough around the edges. 

Which is hilarious to me because our best coach ever PFD was far from a saint. 

Bruce Pearl says hello too 

19 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

They took their cues from Jay jacobs who rather hire who would make the best Sunday school friend than the best football coach. we got extremely lucky because we actually fired one of our better coaches all time only to hire a 5-19 head coach. IDC that he "won" a natty it was still the worst hire in sports history. Chizik true colors of how bad of a head coach he actually was came out in 2012.

you do know that tubbs left auburn on his own.  he wasnt fired. 

Just now, abw0004 said:

To a lot of the alumni, Auburn means more than a win or loss on the football field.  So yeah, I would definitely be in the category of still saying War Eagle after a loss like this.  The loss is a bad feeling, but it doesn’t change my opinion of the school or affect my experiences as a student.

Lol WTF does any of this have to do to our experiences as a student? Nothing. They don't go hand in hand. I truly don't get "fans" like you who always say stuff like this.

Gus bought himself another year after last season's Iron Bowl. I don't like the pandemic excuse for this year, but that may be how it goes. A whole lot of lumber has been sold this year, so maybe a big booster would fork up, but maybe not.

I'd love to see him gone, but I'm not holding my breath. 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Shoot we all say the staff needs to go,

I believe half the fans may need to go with them . What wrong with wanting your team to beat bamas ass every year. It’s all about wining. I’m so sick of the holier than thou attitudes. 

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

As alumni, I will always say War Eagle and War Eagle forever but I am not about to pump sunshine about an absolute a$$ whipping where we were never even competitive.. the game plan was stupid.. and we looked like we didn’t care. Now having said that the game played out just about as I expected for one reason and one reason only.. our head coach. 

37 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Money people always call the shots.. BUT the AD can fire him.. right now if he wanted.. 

Sure he can, but he won’t do it without the blessing of the big money boosters that pay the bills.  

Archived