Auburn top 10 job?

Tigerpro2a

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

Texas has some of the same problems we do right now, particularly with boosters. Long term, if someone can get them over the hump, I'd say it is above us, but not that above us. 

Resources & recruiting area alone will almost always have them a good ways ahead of us.

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

A&M has been a little up since Texas fell off. Who knows how long or if Texas will turn it around. But, if they do, I don't see A&M being that great of an option. Sure, you have the pull of being an SEC team, but you also have the struggle of playing Bama, LSU, and us every year. They do have a huge student body though, which equates to probably more money. I think I would put them in a place similar to Texas... More appealing than Auburn, but not a ton more appealing. 

Even though they haven't been elite at the same time there's enough resources & recruiting area for both Texas & A&M to be better programs most of the time. Look at it this way. A&M is historically the #2 school in Texas. We are the #2 school in Alabama. Texas has much better fertile recruiting grounds than Alabama. A&M also has much better resources & facilities than AU right now. None of those things are changing any time soon it looks like. Therefore A&M is a better program.

8 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

The farther we get out from Paterno, the more I'm thinking Penn State just isn't the elite program I thought they were. I'd actually put them behind us. 

There's still quite a bit of fertile recruiting ground in that area plus Penn St. has more resources & better facilities. Better program IMO.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry answer spelled correctly 

1 minute ago, Hay Field 101 said:

Ask bowl cut why he didnt take the job and you will have your anwser 

7 minutes ago, Hay Field 101 said:

Ask bowl cut why he didnt take the job and you will have your anwser 

@Hay Field 101He wasn't ever offered the job Per @WarDamnEagleWDE. Supposedly our committee was just a dog & pony show that Jar Jar orchestrated before naming Gus as HC.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Hay Field 101He wasn't ever offered the job Per @WarDamnEagleWDE. Supposedly our committee was just a dog & pony show that Jar Jar orchestrated before naming Gus as HC.

My error I had the understanding that the PTB would not hand him reins of full power.

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

May want to reconsider listening to that podcast. And no, he isn't trolling.

Why would I not want to listen just because I don't agree with an idiotic take? So many people cement themselves in their own little echo chambers now days, it makes it treacherous on expanding knowledge. 

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Why would I not want to listen just because I don't agree with an idiotic take? So many people cement themselves in their own little echo chambers now days, it makes it treacherous on expanding knowledge. 

I mean, if one of the hosts considers Malzahn THE most successful coach of all-time, he has no credibility to talk on anything Auburn, IMO.

Whether we are perceived as top 10 or not, you better believe coaches know that we let a mediocre coach hang around for 7 straight 4+ loss seasons why giving him a $50M contract.

Sounds appealing to me. 

I had a sit down with a Power 5 coach back in 2008.  He said Auburn was not a top 10.  Clemson is the unanimous #1.  SEC School in the ACC. Bama, UGA, Florida, Ohio State, LSU, FSU, Texas, USC, Oklahoma were his top 10

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Nope. Tier 2 at best right now.

I’d just call it solid tier 2. We’re a pretty consistent upper half SEC team. Of the last three coaches we’ve had, 2 have had undefeated seasons, and 2 played for national championships. There’s a lot of competition for recruits, but Auburn has a brand that puts us in a position to at least be competitive for good players. While not having the money or the huge alumni base of some schools, we have enough money and arguably a more passionate alumni base that somewhat makes up for it.  In all honesty, if there was no Bama, Auburn would probably be tier 1. Having to play them and recruit against them is a huge drawback for coaches, especially right now.

8 hours ago, Jones Field said:

Ah, but just look at how good FSU and USC are doing.

Guys, the top 10 (minus the blue bloods) shifts around. We are a top tire job.

You are not wrong.  Once upon a time Tennessee, Nebraska, Michigan, and Notre Dame were in the top ten.  Also you could say look at how good Texas is.  Well look who Texas is courting.  That being said for Fisher to bail to A&M says something about FSU

Despite all the crap that's gone on the past 8 years, Auburn is still a top 10 job for a new head coach that's coming to Auburn.

The reason it is not a top 10 job is because of the competition.  We have to recruit against Bammer, UGA, Florida and Clemson is our immediate recruiting territory.  We have to play Bammer, UGA and LSU every year.  Even though we are in a great area for recruiting and college football in general it’s probably the toughest job in the country simply because of the competition we face year in and year out.  

18 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

The reason it is not a top 10 job is because of the competition.  We have to recruit against Bammer, UGA, Florida and Clemson is our immediate recruiting territory.  We have to play Bammer, UGA and LSU every year.  Even though we are in a great area for recruiting and college football in general it’s probably the toughest job in the country simply because of the competition we face year in and year out.  

Don't forget recruiting against FSU who is currently in the toilet and we should be able to take advantage of but......

Rhett Lashlee is who we end up with if we fire Gus before we can afford to. I'm not sure how anyone can say he is a better choice. We are stuck in a bad place because of that contract extension. 

10 minutes ago, JeriahAU said:

Rhett Lashlee is who we end up with if we fire Gus before we can afford to. I'm not sure how anyone can say he is a better choice. We are stuck in a bad place because of that contract extension. 

Stop

3 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Despite all the crap that's gone on the past 8 years, Auburn is still a top 10 job for a new head coach that's coming to Auburn.

Wrong but as Bird said it could be. The collective of our admin, big money people, & fans need to get their ish together & always pursuing being the best it can relentlessly.

On 12/7/2020 at 10:09 AM, Tigerpro2a said:

I was listening to the locked on AU podcast this morning. Zac Blackerby and his partner made a claim that Auburn isn't really a top tier job in College Football and that it may not be desirable for top coaches. I have always heard this claim over the years, and our coaching hires seem to line up as well, but why would a top tier coach not want to come coach at AU?

They would have access to a recruiting hotbed here in the south. They would be able to coach and recruit against the very best. Some coaches might not find that a good thing and for those guys...I do not want them. I want a coach who wants to beat Saban and Bowl cut. To be the best you have to beat the best. 

If you go back to 1998 the start of the BCS, There are only 12 schools that have played for multiple NCs.

Florida ST, Miami, Oklahoma, USC, Texas, Florida, Ohio State, LSU, Bama, Auburn, Oregon and Clemson. Roughly 10% of FBS schools.

There are only 5 more teams that have even played for one NC. Georgia, Tennessee, Virgina Tech, Nebraska, and Notre Dame.

I believe Auburn also has more undefeated seasons the last 30 years than any other school. So when I see this, I see there is a clear pathway to success. Auburn has done more than 90 percent of other teams have not. Auburn has also done this while Saban was there. If we count those teams during the Saban/Bama Era...Only AU, Bama, Clemson, Oregon, LSU have played for multiple titles. Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Georgia being the only other teams to make it period. 

AU pays top 5 money for coaches. I feel like we have been limited in our coaching searches because we have limited ourselves. Just like Clemson, I think AU could blow up with the right coach. Now, I don't know if we are making the playoff every year, but we can definitely be a 10+win per season team. 

greetings everyone. 

may i comment as an outsider looking in?

full disclosure, i am an LSU fan and Auburn is pretty much at the top of my hate list (if anyone here ever posts on the LSU boards i’ve frequented over the years they’ll know this), so i am absolutely coming from a biased point of view. I readily admit this, but I promise to be respectful in any of my posts here. 

32 minutes ago, Nutriaitch said:

greetings everyone. 

may i comment as an outsider looking in?

full disclosure, i am an LSU fan and Auburn is pretty much at the top of my hate list (if anyone here ever posts on the LSU boards i’ve frequented over the years they’ll know this), so i am absolutely coming from a biased point of view. I readily admit this, but I promise to be respectful in any of my posts here. 

Bring it Corn Dog.

2 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Bring it Corn Dog.

ok, here goes.

Auburn unfortunately has a few built in disadvantages that everyone here is well aware of.
Sharing a state with those *expletive* in Tuscaloosa obviously hurts recruiting.
then you look at annual schedule and 8 of the last 16 National Champions (whether you're counting schools, or counting coaches, number stays the same) are there.

and while i readily admit that Baton Rouge is a ****hole, i have been to the Opelika/Auburn area. and well, there ain't much there to draw people from outside the region.

throw in Auburn's reputation (fair or not) of boosters 100% running the show there, and it's not exactly a pretty picture.
that everyone in the country knows Lowder and the Yellow Wood guys are linked to Auburn is not a compliment.

so are y'all top 10?
no, probably not.  

I wouldn't say you're very far outside of the top 10 though.
Because as multiple previous coaches have proven, you can win big there. 

To be a Top 10 program, AU needs to accelerate consistency considerably. Until we do that, we are a very solid tier 2 program. No more, no less. 

Archived