Auburn O-Line next year

AuburnNTexas

I realize that things will change because of Covid and new rules on transfers so this is somewhat conjecture.

Who will return and how strong do we think O-Line will be next year. I am assuming none of the key players transfer or go NFL route

The O-Line was basically new with exception of Brahms and then we had multiple injuries, despite that they improved as a unit this year. At times they actually moved people when run blocking, pass blocking was hit or miss some because of missed assignment and some players need to improve first step and punch when pass blocking. Experience gained this year and depth because of injuries unit will be better then this year.  As we saw with A&M having same 5 starters all year creates a very cohesive well oiled line. We need our starters to stay healthy next year.

OT:  Hamm, Jackson, and Council can play OT and looked good at times Troxell looked a step slow as Left Tackle against better defenders not sure he is 100% might be better at RT or inside.

Zierer - JC transfer from Germany great size recovering from Knee surgery limited experience - He might be able to contribute but is a question mark.

Hamm - showed signs of being good but had injury issues -  Think will need at least one more year before will try NFL as because of injuries did not show enough this year.

Troxell - first year healthy made through season but probably not quite 100% but should be next year- Could also probably play inside.

Jackson - Showed real signs of improvement had injury issues Might be ready to make next step.  I think he will be much improved next year. He may be the left OT we need assuming he is healthy.

Council - Graded well Swiss army knife played OT and Guard could also play center - Just a solid player.

Coffee - needs to add Mass played some this year

Center: - Should be solid here between Brahms and Wilson. Could be some real competition here making both better.

Brahms - returns with a lot of experience played better this year then last year 

Wilson - GT from Harvard projected as NFL type player

Guard:

Manning - should signs of being good has the size and is getting better

Jones - surprisingly good as a freshmen will get better

Irvin - I believe got some PT

Stutts - I believe got some PT

Bell - I believe got some PT.

Johnson - Don't think he played is FR

Jernigan - Don't think he played is FR 

I am not including incoming Freshmen as usually it takes O-Line 1-2 years to be effective as SEC linemen.

Transfers in might also be an upgrade just need to wait and see.

Bottom line is I believe we will have an improved O-Line but will not be an elite O-Line.

I don't see any leaving barring guys who know they won't get playing time anyways.

I think this may have been the most improved unit midway through the season, but then injuries. I give credit Bricknell for their improvement. Now we need to continue improving our development , depth and RECRUITING. Hopefully, Bricknell is solid on all of this. Time will tell. 

17 minutes ago, creed said:

may have been the most improved unit midway through the season

Agreed 100%, but it helps the perception  when every other group seems to have taken a step back.

I think Council was very solid before injury. 

Alec Jackson was coming along as well. 

Brahms may be replaced even if he sticks it out another year, even though he was a little better this season. 

K. Jones has actually been pretty impressive for a Tr Fr.

Hamm has had moments. I think another year and he could be an NFL lineman. Really wish he was at Guard though. 

Coffee has played some and if he can add weight and strength, I think he could be a great OT. He is athletic and is very strong for his size. I have been impressed with him.

All in all, JB did a good job with what he had to work with. I firmly believe all in all this years OL was better than last years and I believe they can be decent next year. 

I thought before the injuries they were really starting to gel. I doubt we lose any, but that doesn't mean our returners are the starters either. I'm interested to see how everything shakes out with all of these transfer rules. 

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Agreed 100%, but it helps the perception  when every other group seems to have taken a step back.

Tackle play is still spotty and realistically our Harvard transfer (some think is a legit NFL prospect) is a Guard.

56 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I don't see any leaving barring guys who know they won't get playing time anyways.

I believe E said Hamm may declare due to needing to support his family.

Just now, abw0004 said:

I believe E said Hamm may declare due to needing to support his family.

Sounds like the job of a rogue booster lol

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think our running game improved from last year up until tank got hurt. Worm and DJ are good, just not Tank good. I believe we will be very good rushing the ball next year. Passing is a timing finesse thing so hopefully that will improve too with more practice and repetition. 

3 minutes ago, creed said:

I think our running game improved from last year up until tank got hurt. Worm and DJ are good, just not Tank good. I believe we will be very good rushing the ball next year. Passing is a timing finesse thing so hopefully that will improve too with more practice and repetition. 

Our biggest goal should be to convince a bunch of seniors to use their extra year.

I'd tell Schwartz he could be your #1 guy next year and tell Stove whatever he needs to hear. Otherwise, if both of those two leave almost all of our receiving production would be gone. Yes there are young bucks coming up with a lot of talent but you need that veteran force. Keeping at least one of these two is key.

Part of the pass protection issues are QB related. DE's will sometimes line up further out when they think it is a pass play which means OT does not get the initial punch but has to chase and push DE past QB. This works well when QB sees it and steps up in the pocket but to often Nix leaves the pocket when he sees this which helps DE and hurts OT.  The other problem is our WR's, TE's and QB's don't do a very good job of hot reads at times on Blitz's which allows QB to get rid of ball quickly when more players coming then blockers to block them.  

I would like to see the following:

LT Zierer 

LG Manning

C Council

RG Jones

RT Hamm

If Zierer  is not good enough to start, we are in trouble at LT.  Troxell and Jackson were not good.  Manning was Ok at LG and flashed sometimes.  Brahms has been manhandled at center this year.  Council was pretty consistent, so I would put him at center in an effort to get the best 5 on the field.  Jones has been OK at RG, hopefully he will improve going into his sophomore year.  Hamm would be much better at guard, but this is where we are.  He is the best option at RT.  If Zierer  pans out (and adds weight), Jones improves and Hamm can get a little better on the edge the line could be average or a little better.  There is zero depth as the drop-off from this line is significant.  

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Our biggest goal should be to convince a bunch of seniors to use their extra year.

I'd tell Schwartz he could be your #1 guy next year and tell Stove whatever he needs to hear. Otherwise, if both of those two leave almost all of our receiving production would be gone. Yes there are young bucks coming up with a lot of talent but you need that veteran force. Keeping at least one of these two is key.

I agree but Schwartz needs to be used properly. He is catching two many short passes often times running horizontally because of play calls instead of quick slants behind LB's that isolates him on one DB.  This has been staple of bama passing attack for many years getting ball quickly to fast receivers in stride where the is a chance to take it to the house.  Schwartz is not a big receiver but gets hit a lot because of the type plays that are called. I give him credit he takes the shots and gets back up but you know he wants the chance that he sees passes similar receivers on other teams get.

Just now, Howard Roark said:

LT Zierer 

LG Manning

C Council

RG Jones

RT Hamm

If Zierer  is not good enough to start, we are in trouble at LT.  Troxell and Jackson were not good.  Manning was Ok at LG and flashed sometimes.  Brahms has been manhandled at center this year.  Council was pretty consistent, so I would put him at center in an effort to get the best 5 on the field.  Jones has been OK at RG, hopefully he will improve going into his sophomore year.  Hamm would be much better at guard, but this is where we are.  He is the best option at RT.  If Zierer  pans out (and adds weight), Jones improves and Hamm can get a little better on the edge the line could be average or a little better.  There is zero depth as the drop-off from this line is significant.  

I think him and Brenden Coffey are both OT projects that both suffered injuries and both need to add weight.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

I think him and Brenden Coffey are both OT projects that both suffered injuries and both need to add weight.

Yeah if Hamm goes pro, Coffey ends up at RT.  He needs to put on a good 20 lbs.  Zierer was the number 1 JUCO OT, so I am hoping he has talent.  He needs about 10 lbs.

5 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

LT Zierer 

LG Manning

C Council

RG Jones

RT Hamm

Center will probably be the GT Wilson from Harvard making Brahms a Backup at both Center and guard. As for LT I think it will be Alex Jackson even though he is converted from D he has much more experience then Zierer.  Council would remain Swiss army knife and play well wherever you put him. Second year after his latest Knee Injury and Troxell may play better next year also.

2 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

Yeah if Hamm goes pro, Coffey ends up at RT.  He needs to put on a good 20 lbs.  Zierer was the number 1 JUCO OT, so I am hoping he has talent.  He needs about 10 lbs.

I'm sure by now, or hoping at least, they have put on some mass already. By next season 10-20 pounds from when they arrived is incredibly reasonable.

Hey. What’s going on here? This thread is borderline Positive!! 😎

2 minutes ago, WarTim said:

It's hard to imagine an entire position group returning could be worse 🤷‍♂️

Plus, I like Bicknell and it does seem like there has been some improvement. Still never seems like we have the type of holes other RBs run through on teams like Bama and UGA. Could be scheme and blocking from the OC/HC though.

I said a few weeks ago this is the only group that improved every game. Very ironic some people will try to say the o line was the reason the offense sputtered. 

11 minutes ago, WarTim said:

I normally am a Sunshine Pumper but this year thunder storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, sand storms, and nor'easters made it almost impossible to be a Sunshine Pumper, but the funny thing is the area I worried about the most prior to the season  the O-Line every now and then brought in a sliver of sunshine. 

We’ve got some decent serviceable guys but are still in desperate need of the elite level road graders some of our primary rivals seems to have an abundance of. Gotta keep improving and making better what we’ve got, but the talent gap is continuing to widen. 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Tackle play is still spotty and realistically our Harvard transfer (some think is a legit NFL prospect) is a Guard.

No biggie, we've played with 5 guards for years now.

59 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Just like RB, tFR and underclassmen can make a big impact at WR.

46 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

There is zero depth as the drop-off from this line is significant.  

lips-sealed.gif

Archived