Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

Just now, AUDub said:

No it is not, Loof.

Clark is worthy of a shot should we hire him. He is a good coach. 

You may think that, but anyone with their finger on the pulse of college football understands that we just passed on far superior candidates. That doesn't mean he's a bad coach. It's about how and why these decisions are being made more than anything.

The really egregious part of your post, though, was suggesting that this opinion was introduced by a small number of idiots and that the rest of us are just "parroting" that. Both of those things are inaccurate and unnecessarily insulting. 

If you want to be a cheerleader for Clark, best find another way to do it. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

You'd be surprised. Go back to the fire Gus threads over the years and his name always comes up.

I like him a lot and think we could do much worse, but he's not one of my top choices.

We should be able to hire whoever we want, but we've got to get out of our own way first. 

I remember people mentioning a bunch of other names first and then mentioning him as an afterthought  I never remember anyone that seriously thought he would be a high priority if we went looking   Regardless, I believe this is a disastrous hire.   This is like hiring a coach that runs the triple option.  

Pretty clear that the institutional issues aren't going to be corrected before this pending hire. Looks like it's going to take a poor hire and a sub-8-win-seaon or two before there's another chance to course correct those issues either internally or with a high-powered hire that will minimize if not eliminate them. Sigh.

Quick, somebody sell DJ Uiagalelei a stolen laptop with "DJ" on the cover.

Just now, Taco said:

Okay but seriously. If you think a guy who’s bashed on Auburn his whole adult life should be the next coach of Auburn. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Whatever lmao

Where in the Sam Hill did I say he SHOULD be the next coach?  I just made a statement that the dude can coach.  Actually, you will see that I said he was not the guy for Auburn.

16 minutes ago, orangemaskman said:

Unfortunately it looks like we will be getting Richt along with his OC.

16 minutes ago, orangemaskman said:

Unfortunately it looks like we will be getting Richt along with his OC.

Press conference today at 4:30...Richt is the new coach!!

4 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Multiple times seeing this now. 

670A76B4-16DC-4BA2-B490-321EB3D35925.jpeg

This is absolutely true.  I worked, as an assistant, under one of Clark’s former assistants from Prattville.  There was a major hatred for Auburn there that was blatantly obvious.

13 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Gotta start a stop Clark ASAP. 

I actually feel bad for Clark. That’s how screwed up this whole mess has been. 

I’d hardly call our BoT “power brokers” at this point. Media keeps throwing that term around when referencing our BoT, but our BoT have clearly displayed through this whole ordeal that there’s really nothing powerful about their decisions or their process. Man, I thought they’d flex, but all we got were small d*ck vibes for a week and a half. So sad. 

11 minutes ago, AUDub said:

No shut up. We won't get any coach worth a damn at this rate. 

With all this mess with the money men, this might be the best option. If they are going to be doing this level of meddling, I have a hard time seeing him be successful. As much as it pains me to say it,  I think Auburn needs the most brutal of gut punches to ever get real change.

Auburn shouldn't be settling. We should be turning down top notch suitors who would love to get the job.

Thanks PTB for screwing up yet another HC search, now and the foreseeable future.

Just now, casatiger said:

I remember people mentioning a bunch of other names first and then mentioning him as an afterthought  I never remember anyone that seriously thought he would be a high priority if we went looking   Regardless, I believe this is a disastrous hire.   This is like hiring a coach that runs the triple option.  

I don't think it's a home run hire either, but I still think we could do much worse 

I don't think it's in the same ballpark as hiring a flexbone coach, as that would essentially kill all recruiting. 

The biggest issue with this hire isn't Bill Clark, but the fact that Bill Clark will be at the mercies of the PTB. The same can be said for any coach that agreed to their meddling. 

1 minute ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

The biggest issue with this hire isn't Bill Clark, but the fact that Bill Clark will be at the mercies of the PTB. The same can be said for any coach that agreed to their meddling. 

Exactly. Bill thinks he’s getting a promotion but really he is jeopardizing his career coming into this mess. 

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

With all this mess with the money men, this might be the best option. If they are going to be doing this level of meddling, I have a hard time seeing him be successful. As much as it pains me to say it,  I think Auburn needs the most brutal of gut punches to ever get real change.

Man, the only thing that will change this situation is these sorry sob's finally keeling over and dying. Period. 

Would Clark bring in Patrick Nix as OC?😎

4 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

This is absolutely true.  I worked, as an assistant, under one of Clark’s former assistants from Prattville.  There was a major hatred for Auburn there that was blatantly obvious.

Greatttttt. Let’s hire an Auburn hating Bammer that is being forced to keep Steele and Garner. 

Guys,  guys, guys.....don't turn on each other. Put your anger towards the University for continually allowing these boosters to dictate things. Our infighting is doing nothing productive amongst us.

Clark knows exactly what he's getting in to. He gets to step up to an SEC team as a stepping stone to other P5 jobs and have an easy excuse when things don't pan out (I didn't get to hire my own staff, etc.)

Just now, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Greatttttt. Let’s hire an Auburn hating Bammer that is being forced to keep Steele and Garner. 

It's all part of Bama's plan. Stage a shutdown of UAB, secretly give Clark the resources to make it a successful turnaround, knowing AU can't resist hiring him at some point, get him in after years of Gus complacency, destroy us from the inside.

It's a conspiracy I say! 

Honest question, did you most of you expect anything different? Look at the Bowden, Tubberville, Chizik and the Malzahn hires and tell we what's different. They didn't go out and get the best option, they took their best option that pleased the PTB. We got lucky with Gus/Cam/Marshall, etc..  We had to pay Tubbs because someone thought Houston "freaking" Nutt would be a great idea. MOTSS!  

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Now Kevin Green has passed away. What an awful awful day.

My day sucks beyond anything since my brother died last month. I'll be just damned because I was thinking about AU needing somebody like Greene to coach Lb's or DE's, this morning, plus for some reason, my chimney stopped drawing and the house filled up with smoke(not stopped up)....I wsa actually thinking about Kevin this morning and his story.DAMN FOOTBALL, DAMN WINTER,DAMN AU BOT and ANYTHING ELSE thats needs it...Laughingstock....Hell, does anybody actually want the ***ing job?

Just now, AUGunsmith said:

You don't get hired at auburn to "see what he can do" 

I mean, to be fair, you kinda do. We have always hired coaches to “see what they can do”. 

Archived