Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

He's a very good coach.  I just think he's more of the same.  He reeks of Tommy Tuberville 2.0 to me.  If he gets the job, I hope he proves me wrong.

I'm trying to keep in mind that Dan Mullen was Florida's 3rd choice and that's worked out well so far.

But I always felt Mullen would be successful.  My wife is a MSU alum.  Go back and look what that program was when he got there.  Look at the stadium, what it looks like then and now.  What he did in Starkville was transformational.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, USATiger said:

Clark is most definitely a better football coach.  No question about it.  He has worked his way to the top not promoted from HS by a powerful booster that thinks they know more about football than the HC.  

You know who else did this? 

Gustavo Malzahn. 

This is embarrassing...why can’t they go after Cristobal or Napier until they get which ever one they can get?   Hiring a coach that the fans and students aren’t excited about seems detrimental to our football program.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Bad, bad take brother. Terrible take. 

No it is not, Loof.

Clark is worthy of a shot should we hire him. He is a good coach. 

1 minute ago, Taco said:

You know who else did this? 

Gustavo Malzahn. 

Sorry Gus was who I was referring to.  Do you think Houston Nutt hired Gus from HS?  Gus was forced on him.   Good grief

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Ok. But seriously, is there anyway we can make the boosters hear us?

They've heard us LOUD AND CLEAR. They do not care what is best for Auburn nor what everyone else wants. All they care about is getting their way - no matter how effing stupid that is. The President needs to step in and put a halt to this, but apparently they have his balls in a case too.

22 minutes ago, chimes said:

Can y’all imagine turning down a job offer for literally five times more than what you currently make, with exponentially more resources at your disposal? Can you fathom what it would take for you to say no to that?

This whole debacle is saddening and maddening for me, but honestly it breaks my heart for my kids. My oldest is starting to love football and gets a huge kick out of yelling “War Eagle” during games and whenever he sees someone wearing AU gear. This steaming pile of s**t they’re calling a “coaching search” is , in all likelihood, going to setback the football program for a decade or more and will have ripple effects throughout the whole university. I met my wife at Auburn, bonded with my ailing father through Auburn football, have children who are growing to love Auburn, and these a**holes are going to ruin it. 

Also hard to fathom that we had the perfect confluence of events- our job comes open at the same time that no other top level gigs are open- and there are multiple candidates that are of a far higher quality than what we typically get, and they are in our price range- and this is how we choose to take advantage of that opportunity. 

1 minute ago, AUGrad1996 said:

But I always felt Mullen would be successful.  My wife is a MSU alum.  Go back and look what that program was when he got there.  Look at the stadium, what it looks like then and now.  What he did in Starkville was transformational.

Don't disagree.  And I want to preface this by saying again, Clark is not on my wish list.  But I will give the man this:

What he has done at UAB is pretty remarkable.  They literally killed that program and he helped not only bring it back, but win championships quickly.  I can at least see some reason for hope.

I still think he's going to end being another Tuberville, but at this point, given the idiots in our freaking power structure, I think he's the best we do.  And that really depresses me.

5 minutes ago, casatiger said:

No. 

You'd be surprised. Go back to the fire Gus threads over the years and his name always comes up.

I like him a lot and think we could do much worse, but he's not one of my top choices.

We should be able to hire whoever we want, but we've got to get out of our own way first. 

9 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Nobody is in denial. Nobody wants Clark. 

Well there are sure a lot of people on this board that are rooting for him. Does he have a large family who lurk on here?

I don't understand coming from HS Gus to 'never left Alabama' Bill. Why would anyone want to see what he could do here?

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

No it is not, Loof.

Clark is worthy of a shot should we hire him. He is a good coach. 

What makes him worthy?   Sorry.  He is an old school defense first coach.  It works at UAB.  It will not work in Auburn.  We will be South Carolina under his leadership.  He is Will Muschamp without the recruiting ability.  

2 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Multiple times seeing this now. 

670A76B4-16DC-4BA2-B490-321EB3D35925.jpeg

You wonder if Clark has some resentment for Bama now though?  It was Bama and their board that killed the UAB program right as he took over.

I feel for Clark. He’s a very good coach that has built a miracle at UAB, in spite of the bama machine, because he had a ground swell of support to get there.  He will not get that at Auburn because he is not ready for the job. If he is hired, he will have been destined to fail by the actions of those that hired him. Maybe he feels it’s worth the retirement nest egg he’ll be able to build in his short time as Auburn’s coach. Maybe he thinks he’ll not get another offer of this magnitude in the future. I’d hate to know that I could get stuck in the back by my staff or those that said they wanted me here at any given time, if I didn’t carry out their plans. 
If Clark is named the coach, and the BOT’s are not held accountable, Auburn will continue to experience mediocrity and the gap between us and the elite programs will continue to widen. 

We don’t have to sit back and allow this. Create havoc on social media and through emails. Don’t let them just push this guy through without A fight. 

4 minutes ago, USATiger said:

Sorry Gus was who I was referring to.  Do you think Houston Nutt hired Gus from HS?  Gus was forced on him.   Good grief

Okay but seriously. If you think a guy who’s bashed on Auburn his whole adult life should be the next coach of Auburn. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Whatever lmao

Archived