Finebaum opines on Gus / AU coaching search

RunInRed

Not a big Finebaum fan in general.  But I thought his comments were insightful. 

I wish they had fired Gus a few weeks ago so that we could get a glimpse at how Kevin Steele would handle the team (kinda like an audition for the job). 

14 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Before reading or listening to anything....**** Finebaum on anything Auburn related.  

"Auburn is a top 12-13 job"

"they dont understand how special a place  Auburn is" -  Paul finebaum 

The simple fact is talking-heads like Finebaum and the ESPN crew, or other fans across the nation. They don't like or respect Auburn. In their eyes Auburn is pinned between Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M, LSU, and Florida... Auburn should feel grateful that they had Gus Malzahn never had a losing season; Auburn needs to know their place in the world, stop being primadonnas, and accept that losing to the big dogs more often than not is the way things should be. And that's the problem - there has always been a caste system created by sports media and most folks unknowingly tend to buy into - unless of course it's your team.

Honestly it's a lesson in masochism if you listen to any national football analyst's opinion on the situation and I feel bad for the Auburn fans who still think we made the wrong move because they've been fed this kinda crap.

18 minutes ago, countoff said:

Not a big Finebaum fan in general.  But I thought his comments were insightful. 

I wish they had fired Gus a few weeks ago so that we could get a glimpse at how Kevin Steele would handle the team (kinda like an audition for the job). 

Steele? Seriously? What was he, 1-31 as a HC? MAJOR step down from CGM. 

2 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

The simple fact is talking-heads like Finebaum and the ESPN crew, or other fans across the nation. They don't like or respect Auburn. In their eyes Auburn is pinned between Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M, LSU, and Florida... Auburn should feel grateful that they had Gus Malzahn never had a losing season; Auburn needs to know their place in the world, stop being primadonnas, and accept that losing to the big dogs more often than not is the way things should be. And that's the problem - there has always been a caste system created by sports media and most folks unknowingly tend to buy into - unless of course it's your team.

Honestly it's a lesson in masochism if you listen to any national football analyst's opinion on the situation and I feel bad for the Auburn fans who still think we made the wrong move because they've been fed this kinda crap.

Alot of fans act as if we just fired Saban and will never recover. It's hilarious and embarrassing at the same time.

5 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Sometimes Finebaum says good things about Auburn right before he drops the hammer.  He really likes to wait a few days before he scoured us.  I’ll wait.

4 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

That was a very long time ago and it was at Baylor.  Sometimes it's the lessons learned during failures that breeds success.

Besides....I wasn't necessarily saying Steele should be the next HC (frankly, I can't think of anyone right now that is "perfect" for the job).  But I just wanted to see how Steele would handle the team.  He might have impressed us.

18 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

I don't know about you but '99-'02 was a long time ago and well before Briles came and made Baylor a respectable name (in football of course). No, Steele wouldn't be my top pick. Not when there's quality and tested options out there. But Steele's record with Baylor may as well be ancient history and wouldn't be a terrible Plan-K if A thru J fall through. But I doubt we get there...

2 hours ago, auskip07 said:

A top 12-13 job is in the top quintile of the P5. 

Archived