2021 NSD Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Zeek

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

2022 is a long way to go. Winning will cure all. 

That's an optimistic view point, but there's no doubt that while we're scrambling to fill out this class and continue to scour the transfer markets that our main competition is focused on 2022 and beyond. Again, that's not to say we can't pull in a good class, but we behind. Winning more hasn't helped AU maintain recruiting momentum in the past. It's more about relationships and Auburn selling Auburn until we change the game. What changes the game? Putting more and more kids in the draft. Compared to the draft classes of LSU, Georgia, and Bama it's sad. Just the reality of it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Meanwhile, I have a 45 yr old friend who is like "Let the kids have the molly and the mushrooms and GIVE ME THEM CHILL DADDY ALLERGY MEDS"

Sorry, you lost me at mushrooms.    mmmmmm boomers, yum

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

He is doing a 50/50 win/win game.  If it is big he said it first, if it is not big he said”could”. Either way he is not wrong.

True!

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

He is doing a 50/50 win/win game.  If it is big he said it first, if it is not big he said”could”. Either way he is not wrong.

Agreed. Growing the brand is all about 👀

If we get Gaston then we'll move up to 30th nationally 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Zeek said:

If we have 25 next year (does it become 24 if we give the Long Snapper a spot?)

2 QBs

2 RBs

2-3 WRs

3-5 OL

2-3 DL

3-4 LB

2-3 CB/S

1 K

Something like that. We're currently #20 in the 2022 class with three commits. I think Holden's ranking will skyrocket and help there. Not huge on Jarell Stinson (3* currently listed at 5'10" but he's mentioned in his bio as a RB on 247 so no clue).

If we don’t sign a full class (25) this year, we’ll be able to carry some over and can sign up to 30 next year. 

1 minute ago, WarEagle2423 said:

If we don’t sign a full class (25) this year, we’ll be able to carry some over and can sign up to 30 next year. 

We'll have 20 with guys we're supposed to get. The next 5 will be used on at least two OL, 1 RB, and likely use the other two spots on a QB/LB/DB from a transfer or JuCo. I don't think we reserve any extra spots to next year.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Been discussed but not speculation.

Seems to be a consensus that Bridges wasn't it. I just wonder if it's an out west guy. I've been waiting on one of those guys to "sneak" into this class.

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

If we get Gaston then we'll move up to 30th nationally 

You can't move up to 30th if you're not below 30th.

Lordy, Harsin inherited a mess. Even saban couldn't finish higher than 12th in 2007, and that was without the early signing day putting him even further behind the 8 ball as it has with Harsin.

Anyone expecting miracles from this class is just saying silly things to be, I dunno, whatever. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ValleyTiger said:

Seems to be a consensus that Bridges wasn't it. I just wonder if it's an out west guy. I've been waiting on one of those guys to "sneak" into this class.

Yeah Keith has explicitly confirmed it wasn't Bridges being alluded to.

1 hour ago, WinstonMcFlurry said:

In the SEC absolutely, we already struggling to keep up while pulling in top 15 classes. I hope Harsin can develop these guys and get them playing up to their potential but a class of majority 3 stars is disaster, even given the circumstances. What's gonna happen, like with basketball, is in year 3 and 4 we will have very few good upperclassmen meaning we will not be winning. There's a reason why Bama had one of the best teams of all time when a bunch of seniors came back. I don't care how good a coach Harsin is, without top 10 recruiting we are not winning anything .    

Well...I think our main problem was DEVELOPMENT and SCHEME. We're all very aware of the previous staff's inability to develop. We're also aware of the stubbornness of the play caller as the game passed him by. Not sure any definitive statement can be made on this class yet. Is it ideal,  you could make the case that it's not...sure, but until the end of next season and I'm able to witness what kind of development these coaches can do, I'll reserve any judgment of this class ranking. 

1 hour ago, ValleyTiger said:

That's an optimistic view point, but there's no doubt that while we're scrambling to fill out this class and continue to scour the transfer markets that our main competition is focused on 2022 and beyond. Again, that's not to say we can't pull in a good class, but we behind. Winning more hasn't helped AU maintain recruiting momentum in the past. It's more about relationships and Auburn selling Auburn until we change the game. What changes the game? Putting more and more kids in the draft. Compared to the draft classes of LSU, Georgia, and Bama it's sad. Just the reality of it.

Auburn also hasn't had a coach of this acumen either in the past. Again, it has to start somewhere, It is completely unrealistic to think this staff was just going to be pulling 4 and 5 stars from this class or the next in a month's period after the mess they inherited and with the process of the transition. That is why it is important to have established developers as well and not just the big splash recruiters everyone wanted.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kablooey Gaston!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, toddc said:

Kablooey Gaston!!!!!

No one drinks like Gaston! Picks off QBs like Gaston! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, WarEagle2423 said:

@WarEagle2423 Don't expect it. If we land everyone we expect plus the surprise we will have 4 spots left in the class. The staff is also looking at or wanting a transfer from these positions: QB, RB, WR, 2 OL, LB, & CB.

• Like 2