OL Coach: Will Friend

W.E.D

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

definitely not true

I'm really confused by this and even more so after googling. 

I see that he was UTk's OL coach in 2019... when did he go to USCe? Was this recent? I see an article about USCe owing UTk a buyout for Friend, dated 1/5/2021.

<Edit to add link: https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2021/01/05/tennessee-football-will-friend-contract-south-carolina-gamecocks-buyout/4130046001/>

Someone help me with the timeline?

<Edit AGAIN to add... I read the 2nd paragraph. Sounds like a recent move to USCe, then a bounce to us. Strange!>

Thanks!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Sizzle said:

What’s his recruiting like? What big time guys has he brought in? And who has he put in the NFL?

2 5* OTs in 2019, to include snatching Wanya Morris from us. 

1 minute ago, looney said:

I'm really confused by this and even more so after googling. 

I see that he was UTk's OL coach in 2019... when did he go to USCe? Was this recent? I see an article about USCe owing UTk a buyout for Friend, dated 1/5/2021.

<Edit to add link: https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2021/01/05/tennessee-football-will-friend-contract-south-carolina-gamecocks-buyout/4130046001/>

Someone help me with the timeline?

Thanks!

They missed. Will Friend is definitely at Tennessee. Just a misprint or brain fart.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

They missed. Will Friend is definitely at Tennessee. Just a misprint or brain fart.

So the knoxnews article I linked is wrong, too?

My head's spinning! 

7 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Is this confirmed that Wanya Morris will transfer?

I believe most people think it is about to happen.  Could be good for us.

He hits a bunch of check marks:  from Alabama, played in the SEC, Coached in the SEC, known as a good recruiter, has successfully coached  the o-line at top schools and is familiar with the OC.

5 minutes ago, looney said:

So the knoxnews article I linked is wrong, too?

My head's spinning! 

Apologies, it seems that maybe he was hired at USC in the offseason and we've poached him before he actually got started there. He was definitely at UT this past season.

23 minutes ago, WarEagle231 said:

Great article on Will Friend and his results as a coach and recruiter:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/tennessee/.amp/football/friend-coachs-corner

Thanks for posting this. I recommend others read it. It makes me feel a little better about Friend. He has had success as a coach in the past, and consistent success as a recruiter. I'm going to be optimistic on this one.

32 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

It's a hire that's a home run

Okay, we are looking for “splash hires” (swimming team) and a “home run hire” (baseball team), and what we really need is a “touchdown hire” (football team )! 😝 

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No, he was recently hired by Shane Beamer at USCe and announced within the last 3 weeks or so.  Went there to rejoin Mike Bobo who he worked with at UGA and Colo. St.  

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

A lot of success for Friend in Georgia, Tennessee, and Mississippi. And Bobo kills it in Georgia and the Carolinas. Now we have some West Coast and Texas with Harsin and Mason. Wow! Give us some Alabama and Florida and recruiting is about to be real in Auburn. 

57 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

A home run hire at OL would be Matt Luke. And it's absolutely mind blowing that Gus didn't even call him after Grimes left. So now he's in Athens making the rich richer. 

Outside of him, I'd be surprised if many people could come up with many home run names. But I think @bigbird has a short list of names that would make most of us  go "Huh?" but that he would consider home runs. 

So homerun hires are preferred to splash hires, right?

1 hour ago, DAG said:

definitely not true

This is a case where I am glad that I was wrong. Thank you.

I mean our main problem on OL the last 4 years has been getting them signed. It would seem this guy can recruit highly rated guys on the OL so i'm down with the hire. 

I wanted some SEC connections and proven recruiters and Will Friend checks those boxes. 

Welcome Coach Friend!

33 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

No way!!

As a swimmer, splash hires rule!!

No way!!  Belly flops make a big splash.  We don’t need a belly flop. 

3 minutes ago, around4ever said:

No way!!  Belly flops make a big splash.  We don’t need a belly flop. 

You made the case.  Home run hires are clearly much better than big splash hires.

2 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Cole Cubelic said it was a done deal.

I am curious of what he thinks of the hire as a former AU lineman.  He would offer good perspectives I think.

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I am curious of what he thinks of the hire as a former AU lineman.  He would offer good perspectives I think.

I'm sure he will give his opinion sooner or later.

2 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

Yeeesh.   Friend has a toxic rep on Vol forums...they are literally throwing a party that he is gone.  I dont like this hire at. all.

Given our struggles,  we really needed a home-run hire here.  This is really really really not it.

Will Friend ain't the reason Tennessee sucks.  They hired a dumbass hillbilly as coach, because he was the only Saban assistant they could get.  The dude is a complete disaster, and was never qualified to be a head coach at the collegiate level.

We lost a lot of OL recruits to Tennessee while he was there. Good pickup imo.

Archived