OL Coach: Will Friend

W.E.D

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

Yeeesh.   Friend has a toxic rep on Vol forums...they are literally throwing a party that he is gone.  I dont like this hire at. all.

Given our struggles,  we really needed a home-run hire here.  This is really really really not it.

UT has been bad and had bad coaching for so long now that I wouldn’t trust their assessment as a fan base. I’ll choose to trust Harsin and acknowledge we’ve been mediocre here for several years, whether coaching or talent or combination of the two. Hopefully this works out well but he’s starting in the hole, especially since Bill Taylor is likely moving on.

10 hours ago, WarEagle231 said:

Great article on Will Friend and his results as a coach and recruiter:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/tennessee/.amp/football/friend-coachs-corner

"The development Tennessee's offensive line has undergone from the day Will Friend was hired to the present is one of the most dramatic anywhere in the country. To recruit and develop a line from one of the worst in the nation to what could be one of the best in the SEC in so short a time, while landing players that fit the scheme and vision is nothing short of remarkable. Friend's unit is now the core of the leadership for this Tennessee team, as well as being one of the most talented. If Friend can continue to develop his line this season, taking the next step from a good unit to a great, potentially dominant one, then it will serve as the catalyst that allows Tennessee's program to turn the corner as a whole. Will Friend has faced enormous pressure every season he has been in Knoxville, and 2020 is no different in that regard. The change is that he is expected to bring a unit that plays at an elite level. History says this is the most difficult step to take, but it also shows that Friend has a plan in place to achieve just that."

Sounds to me, he's exactly what we need.

10 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

People about to understand the recruiting machine that Harsin in trying to build at Auburn.

It looks like Harsin has set consistent top 5 recruiting as his goal.  I think being a program that could sustain recruiting at an elite level is one of the main reasons he chose to come here.

What a breath of fresh air to have a coach who is methodically building a recruiting dept, and bringing in experienced highly regarded coordinators and coaches.  We have ourselves a real college football coach.

35 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

People about to understand the recruiting machine that Harsin in trying to build at Auburn.

2F5A44BD-2655-49CE-A16B-221F500FE44D.jpeg

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

identifying   

I am excited about this ^...

From what I have read,  we already have some recruiters on board  that are very personable  and have that charismatic "it"  factor.   They are excellent closers.       

We also have some recruiters that have that rare "eye for real talent".    Not distracted by numbers or hype from high school.   They just see the good ones often  "diamonds in the ruff."   Anyone could watch Cam Newton play and see he was a special talent, but a lot of special talent players are hidden on bad  high school teams or teams that are outmatched every game.  etc.

We already have one or two very rare coaches that excel in both these areas.

Some identify, and the closers do the contact work. 

Also,  we already have some coaches on board that have a strong development pedigrees. 

I finally feel like we are playing 21st century football.  I am so hyped about what is about to happen in Auburn in the near future. 

10 hours ago, toddc said:

Okay, we are looking for “splash hires” (swimming team) and a “home run hire” (baseball team), and what we really need is a “touchdown hire” (football team )! 😝 

I think Bruce was quoted as saying the guy was a Slam Dunk. 

(wow - that was really bad....)

1 hour ago, ValleyTiger said:

Paying off already?

34 minutes ago, GoAU said:

I think Bruce was quoted as saying the guy was a Slam Dunk. 

(wow - that was really bad....)

Pretty good 😌 

1 minute ago, ValleyTiger said:

Don't think he's coming brAU

Nah but his face is exactly how I’m feeling about the machine that is about to unleash on the SEC. 

Not that it means much by one of my good friends is a big UT football fan and he's pissed that they lost Friend to us.

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Nah but his face is exactly how I’m feeling about the machine that is about to unleash on the SEC. 

Put Pearl AND Harsin on him.....

tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, thewhiz7 said:

Not that it means much by one of my good friends is a big UT football fan and he's pissed that they lost Friend to us.

Laugh at your friend for me plz. They lost him to USCe first AND UTk is the biggest dumpster fire imaginable.

Just now, AU80cruiser said:

:headscratch:

What are y'all talking about?

Dayne Shor, a 2022 OT recruit from GA

1 minute ago, jAUSon said:

It's weird to me coach Friend already had that hoodie. This must be some kind of diabolical plan they got unfolding here. 

Must be fate

Archived