OLB coach

auburn4ever

No disrespect intended, but I'm not one of those who prays at the altar of TWill and whose feelings will get hurt if he's not retained. I see it posted all over the place as though he's god's gift to linebackers and recruiting. Keeping him should not be a condition on whether or not CBH and DM are accepted by the fans. If they want him, great. If not, fine.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

No disrespect intended, but I'm not one of those who prays at the altar of TWill and whose feelings will get hurt if he's not retained. I see it posted all over the place as though he's god's gift to linebackers and recruiting. Keeping him should not be a condition on whether or not CBH and DM are accepted by the fans. If they want him, great. If not, fine.

Agreed.  Let CBH and CDM do their thing.  If T-Will is not their choice, I’m sure he will land on his feet and have some great opportunities to continue to grow as a coach. 

Travis Williams is a bit of an interesting conundrum. A lot of people swear by him, some don't really see the appeal.

I don't know how a lot of people view T-Will but from meeting and working with T-Will in my brief stint, he seems like a guy that is able to communicate with players on a more genuine level. Even when I was in the midst of my compliance battles with trying to be eligible at AU, T-Will was always available to talk even if it was to tell me that he hadn't heard anything from the front office. I know for a fact a lot of guys probably like that, though its not a make or break feature. I do think his mentality and way of coaching and working w/ players is a net positive for LBs in general since there needs to be that "edge" in your LB room.

That being said, I would be sad if he didn't stay on, because I think the attitude component of what he brings is more important than his coaching. The OLBs coach isn't just relegated to only handling OLBs, but in meetings he will be required to basically sit and work with the OLBs one on one and will have more time during indi periods. But when the defense is working on circuit trainings and overall skills, he usually takes a hand in working with other hybrid players on cross training and bringing his LB expertise that is universally applicable to other position groups, thereby also bringing ENERGY to the entire defense. A good example of this was Coach Nick Gentry at JSU for us. Coach Gentry was arguably one of the most energetic and well-liked coaches on D, even when Coach Reeves wasn't really the go to. Most of us felt like we could sit down and have a beer with Coach if that were allowed and just hash things out about how we were feeling.

I think this role would be great for Coach T-Will to stay on in, but I don't know if its the career move he would like to make after having been the entire LB room coach. The outlook could be good for a few years if Coach Harsin's tenure is stable and coach Schmedding basically stays on until he goes to be HC or DC at some other school, but we just don't know 100% yet. 

21 hours ago, api1957 said:

I'm assuming whoever it shall be would need experience as a special teams coach. Or did I miss if one of the previous hires is handling that duty?

Can we not just have an off the field coach be the ST coach?  They can be on the sidelines during the game, right?  He just can't recruit...

1 hour ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Travis Williams is a bit of an interesting conundrum. A lot of people swear by him, some don't really see the appeal.

I don't know how a lot of people view T-Will but from meeting and working with T-Will in my brief stint, he seems like a guy that is able to communicate with players on a more genuine level. Even when I was in the midst of my compliance battles with trying to be eligible at AU, T-Will was always available to talk even if it was to tell me that he hadn't heard anything from the front office. I know for a fact a lot of guys probably like that, though its not a make or break feature. I do think his mentality and way of coaching and working w/ players is a net positive for LBs in general since there needs to be that "edge" in your LB room.

That being said, I would be sad if he didn't stay on, because I think the attitude component of what he brings is more important than his coaching. The OLBs coach isn't just relegated to only handling OLBs, but in meetings he will be required to basically sit and work with the OLBs one on one and will have more time during indi periods. But when the defense is working on circuit trainings and overall skills, he usually takes a hand in working with other hybrid players on cross training and bringing his LB expertise that is universally applicable to other position groups, thereby also bringing ENERGY to the entire defense. A good example of this was Coach Nick Gentry at JSU for us. Coach Gentry was arguably one of the most energetic and well-liked coaches on D, even when Coach Reeves wasn't really the go to. Most of us felt like we could sit down and have a beer with Coach if that were allowed and just hash things out about how we were feeling.

I think this role would be great for Coach T-Will to stay on in, but I don't know if its the career move he would like to make after having been the entire LB room coach. The outlook could be good for a few years if Coach Harsin's tenure is stable and coach Schmedding basically stays on until he goes to be HC or DC at some other school, but we just don't know 100% yet. 

Always a sober, well thought out perspective sir. Thanks. I think some of us fans fail to recognize that sometimes coaches may have ideas and ambitions about what their role should be, and it may differ from what the new staff has in mind. Nothing personal, wrong, or conflicting about it. Just different point of views. Either way, I really hope it works out for TWill.

3 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I appreciate your sharing your first-hand knowledge of the kind of man T-Will is.  I’ve heard nothing but positive things about his engagement with the players/recruits, but it helps to hear it directly from someone who has interacted with him.  Of course, I’d love for him to stay and continue to develop his craft through working with Coach Mason and the other new coaches (and seeing how Coach Harsin runs things), it may be in his best interest long-term to go elsewhere (perhaps as a DC at a G5 or FCS school?) - at least for a time.  If he left,  I wouldn’t mind seeing him come back to Auburn in the future as a DC or HC.

The coach Mason wants, with the approval of Harsin of course, should be the guy imo. After all, they are the ones who will be held accountable for the choice. Having said that, I hope they keep T-Will.

Mason’s LB coach at Vandy accepted an on-the-field position for the Tennessee Titans today. I wonder if that’s who they were waiting on. Maybe it opens the door for T-Will to come back

I know I'm in the minority but I think maybe 4 ex-AU players (outstanding ones and popular ones by the way) on the staff might be a little much for a new coach.  We did fine a lot of years with none, but I do like that connection with a couple.  Come on pile on.

Just a theory. Suppose the last spot is TWill's for the taking. But the responsibilities are equal/different/less than before. That may not be appealing for someone who's been there done that, and feels the urge to advance his career. The job stays open until TWill decides what he wants.

8 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

Just a theory. Suppose the last spot is TWill's for the taking. But the responsibilities are equal/different/less than before. That may not be appealing for someone who's been there done that, and feels the urge to advance his career. The job stays open until TWill decides what he wants.

I definitely see this as a possibility. Good theory.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:56 AM, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I think on here people look at stuff like things are in the corporate world or the blue collar world. You look at whatever player and the performance and think there's some sort of practice exercise that covers it they are the manager or supervisor of the player so they cover all performance of a player. 

Coaches most important thing is to be motivators and inspire players in college. The actual teaching as far as learning something brand new is really minimal. They teach plays and concepts but position stuff is mostly reps and doing it right every single time. But a coach that inspires....touches EVERY guy on that team

13 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

T-Will has gone woke, participating in BLM which teaches a victim mentality, belief in the breakdown of the nuclear family, and was founded by Marxist.  He's leading by example and it's a terrible example.

Stop it now on the political talk. I will lock in a heart beat. Keep this about football

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Stop it now on the political talk. I will lock in a heart beat. Keep this about football

Shouldn't even be allowed there

18 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

No political discussion here take it to that forum. Jesus this gets old

Just positive vibrations, man. ;)

35 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

LOL Jesus..... 

You mentioned Jesus?...TWill's birthday tweet from this morning...a good dose of morning gospel.  Would love to see an announcement today, on his birthday, that he's being retained.

44 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

No political discussion here take it to that forum. Jesus this gets old

Guy is so lame I didn't even insert my you're as old as Jesus joke smh

43 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Shouldn't even be allowed there

It's not, just wasn't on when it was posted to redirect.

T-Will would be such a great way to close out this staff. It does feel less and less likely but you never know; Harsin could just be doing his due-diligence.

Vic So'oto is a name I keep seeing mentioned for what it's worth.

It's not supposed to be the Vandy LB coach (he's heading to the Tennessee Titans) or the dude from Texas (I think they said he was going to Ole Miss)

Archived