Malzahn Accepts UCF HC Job

Paladin

Former Auburn linebacker joins Gus Malzahn’s support staff at UCF

Updated Feb 24, 2021; Posted Feb 24, 2021

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Former Auburn linebacker Tre’ Williams is headed to UCF in a support staff role this season.

Williams, who played at Auburn from 2014-17, will serve as a defensive graduate assistant for the Knights, working under new UCF defensive coordinator Travis Williams -- Williams’ former position coach at Auburn during his final two seasons on the Plains.

“Super excited to have my former linebacker (Tre’ Williams) working along side with me as my graduate assistant coach to help serve these young men,” Travis Williams tweeted on Wednesday.

A former five-star linebacker out of St. Paul’s in Mobile, Williams finished his Auburn career with 188 total tackles. He was a four-year contributor and two-year starter at linebacker for Auburn, appearing in 47 games with 18 starts, and as a senior in 2017 he earned second-team All-SEC honors.

After his college career ended, Williams signed with the New York Jets as an undrafted free agent but was cut before the season due to a lingering shoulder injury he dealt with during his senior season on the Plains. After undergoing surgery to repair his shoulder, Williams joined Gus Malzahn’s staff at Auburn in 2018 in a support role working in the Tigers’ recruiting office.

He then spent last season as an assistant coach at Thompson High, working with the freshman linebackers while also assisting with the varsity team. Thompson won its second straight Class 7A state title last season.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope TWill kills it down there as DC. I know a lot of hearsay out there about him being a problem and others say he was absolutely not a problem so i can only judge him on what i know. I know he was a great LB at Auburn and our LBs played great when he was our LB coach. I wish him tons of success

On 2/25/2021 at 4:20 PM, gravejd said:

I hope TWill kills it down there as DC. I know a lot of hearsay out there about him being a problem and others say he was absolutely not a problem so i can only judge him on what i know. I know he was a great LB at Auburn and our LBs played great when he was our LB coach. I wish him tons of success

The word "absolutely" is the problem in how these things are discussed. I brought it up in another TWill thread. All of these guys have their strengths and weaknesses. Very few of them are purely good or bad people. 

Not many guys who have left the program that I don't wish all the success in the world. Not many that I wish were still here, either. 

18 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Nate Craig Myers to UCF. hmm, that's an eye brow raiser. 

Meyers and MAR joining back up with Gus tells us that those fans who screeched and whined about Gus not using the players properly didn't know what they were talking about.

Close to home? There are any number of colleges, both major and minor in Florida. These guys had plenty of options. They didn't choose UCF because of location, they chose UCF because they wanted to play for Gus.

Good recruiting job by Gus. This might be a match made in heaven. No doubt he could be good at this level. 

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Meyers and MAR joining back up with Gus tells us that those fans who screeched and whined about Gus not using the players properly didn't know what they were talking about.

Huh? What kind of logic are you trying to infer here? How does these players going back to play for Gus disprove that point at all LMAO?

11 minutes ago, metafour said:

Huh? What kind of logic are you trying to infer here? How does these players going back to play for Gus disprove that point at all LMAO?

He just wants attention. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

NCM still has eligibility? 

I laughed because it seems like he’s been playing for years but he’s probably using his Covid year if I had to guess. 

Just now, woodford said:

I laughed because it seems like he’s been playing for years but he’s probably using his Covid year if I had to guess. 

I know, right!?

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Close to home? There are any number of colleges, both major and minor in Florida. These guys had plenty of options. They didn't choose UCF because of location, they chose UCF because they wanted to play for Gus.

I think NCM and MAR reasons for going back to play for Gus are not one in the same.

MAR was still playing for Gus when he was fired. He also got to play late in the season, so he may have stayed if Gus stayed.

NCM left bc he wasn't playing enough or targeted enough when Gus was still in middle of his coaching stint at AU.

It is easy to evaluate complaints about Gus offense for the reason NCM left, and frustrated bc he wasn't using MAR more to se what he could do with all the injuries we had at RB. 

But, who knows why NCM wants to play for Gus again..maybe he feels he's higher on the playing chart now after looking at their current WRs...and he can do that closer to his home.

12 hours ago, metafour said:

How dense are you? If the players felt mis-used they wouldn't have signed up for another stint with Gus. That's so simple even a metafour should understand it.

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

How dense are you? If the players felt mis-used they wouldn't have signed up for another stint with Gus. That's so simple even a metafour should understand it.

You still talking about Gus? Damn man. After all the grief you gave everyone on here that was "still" talking about him just weeks after he had been fired. Guess you are one of those preachers who does not practice what they preach kinda like Bernie Mac's character Pastor Clever in the movie Friday!!

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

You still talking about Gus? Damn man. After all the grief you gave everyone on here that was "still" talking about him just weeks after he had been fired. Guess you are one of those preachers who does not practice what they preach kinda like Bernie Mac's character Pastor Clever in the movie Friday!!

Some posters were wondering why these guys signed up for another hitch with Gus. I just 'splained to them that the people who had been saying players left AU because Gus didn't utilize them properly were dead, solid, wrong.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Some posters were wondering why these guys signed up for another hitch with Gus. I just 'splained to them that the people who had been saying players left AU because Gus didn't utilize them properly were dead, solid, wrong.

Mike, You had a good run. You got 8 "solid" years out of this shtick. But it is time to move on with your idol and leader of the mediocrity empire Gus. We are well aware your allegiance is to him and not AU. I will get some posters to pack your stuff. Dot not make us call security. I have found somewhere else where you would be much happier being. Farewell. Please be a stranger.

https://247sports.com/college/central-florida/board/ucf-knights-message-board-forum-59489/

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

it is time to move on with your idol

Have you already donated to UCF? Your hero T-Will (signed ZERO linebackers this cycle) trailed along after Coach Malzahn. I'm thinking you were already no stranger to that site you linked to.

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Have you already donated to UCF? Your hero T-Will (signed ZERO linebackers this cycle) trailed along after Coach Malzahn. I'm thinking you were already no stranger to that site you linked to.

Lol you just had to get one little pot shot in about T Will for old times sake didn't you? You just cannot help yourself can you? I do not get a guy who used to all the time bitch and moan about our LB play and LB recruiting STILL is bitching about it even after T Will comes in we have our best run of LB on the field play and recruiting since the Tubs years. Our first 2 ALL SEC first team LB's since *checks notes* TRAVIS WILLIAMS IN 2004!!!! lol. And yah he dropped the ball in recruiting this past class. The whole staff did. No s***. Everyone knows that. I will donate YOU to UCF. That is the best I can do. Already found a new found Assistant Coach Man Crush...  Any more questions?

cwill_Coaching_Staff_Hire_Update16_9_Whi

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

But it is time to move on

You know he's not going to. Not as long as he keeps getting the attention he's so desperate for. So it's incumbent upon the rest of us to move on. The dude only makes this place worse because we let him. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You know he's not going to. Not as long as he keeps getting the attention he's so desperate for. So it's incumbent upon the rest of us to move on. The dude only makes this place worse because we let him. 

tenor.gif

image.gif.2b9e24a90a445e53f15cf56b6fe4e4a7.gif

Archived