Notebook:

toddc

247 rankings for running backs in 2021

7. TANK BIGSBY, AUBURN

10356330.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

College stats138 carries, 834 yards, 5 TDs

If you're looking for a ballcarrier whose ready to take his game to the next level this fall, Tank Bigsby is the guy. There were murmurs this offseason he could be on the move, but Bigsby will be Auburn's most important player offensively and will once again have the ball in his hands more than any player within that unit not named Bo Nix under first-year coach Bryan Harsin. Bigsby managed four 100-yard games as a five-star true freshman in 2020, including a 192-yard outburst in his season finale vs. Mississippi State. Considering the production at running back at Boise State during Harsin's reign, Bigsby has to be excited about being a focal point this fall.

• Like 2

7. TANK BIGSBY, AUBURN

Directed at the hype,  not you toddc, or that specific article  Just the general media hype. 

There is a lot of hype around this young man.  I am worried there is getting to be too much.    Expectations are slowly becoming unrealistically high.    I have concerns when he has a "pretty good" game, it will not be enough.  fans will feel let down.  If he has an average running back type game  fans will jump off the bandwagon.  He is still just a human.   He will have a bad game eventually. 

Yes,  I have seen him play.  Yes,  I think he will deserve being motioned for the Heisman Trophy,  but...   

He is not going to take to the house every possession.   He will have some tackles for losses.  Likely to fumble the ball once or twice. Will not rush for 200+ yards in every game.  May not set many records.    With expectations getting so high this will seem like a major letdown and he could still be one of the greatest RB to go through Auburn.

Thinking he is going to be great is one thing,  but the expectations are edging closer to a superhuman RB that no one could live up to. 

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
reason for edit: like menopause, I had to remove a period

6 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

7. TANK BIGSBY, AUBURN

Directed at the hype,  not you toddc, or that specific article  Just the general media hype. 

There is a lot of hype around this young man.  I am worried there is getting to be too much.    Expectations are slowly becoming unrealistically high.    I have concerns when he has a "pretty good" game, it will not be enough.  fans will feel let down.  If he has an average running back type game  fans will jump off the bandwagon.  He is still just a human.   He will have a bad game eventually. 

Yes,  I have seen him play.  Yes,  I think he will deserve being motioned for the Heisman Trophy,  but...   

He is not going to take to the house every possession.   He will have some tackles for losses.  Likely to fumble the ball once or twice. Will not rush for 200+ yards in every game.  May not set many records.    With expectations getting so high this will seem like a major letdown and he could still be one of the greatest RB to go through Auburn.

Thinking he is going to be great is one thing,  but the expectations are edging closer to a superhuman RB that no one could live up to. 

I get where you’re coming from but sports have always been that way and then throw in a post (sort of) pandemic and this is gonna happen a lot with fans being overhyped.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

For the fans and mediots who grade solely on stats or who don't remain cognizant that things beyond a player's control can limit his production, I agree.

But for those who know what a special football player looks like when he plays, we've already seen it. You just know it with certain players. He's got it. 

Look at Jovon Robinson. Dude had a stinker of a career at Auburn. Had no career at all, really. But it can't be said that he wasn't a very special running back.

With Tank, I look at it less as having expectations and more as "I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts."

• Like 2

Tank is special, and everyone can see it.  Just the one move he made on the defender on the swing pass in the Spring game is an indicator. Reminded me of Cadillac in that moment. 

It doesn't matter to me if he doesn't have jaw dropping stats for his career.  Young man is fun to watch and I look forward to seeing Tank and Worm do what they do this year.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

7. TANK BIGSBY, AUBURN

I'm not sure a single person expects what you just wrote.  If there are people that think he will score a TD every touch, run for 3,000 yards, never have a negative play....I'd love to meet them just to laugh at them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

7. TANK BIGSBY, AUBURN

you are the first to express this concern. I know I’ve never seen him as a heisman type player . I think he is the most talented player on our team , but it is not like he has that Marcus Lattimore effect , where the nation is all talking about him. SEC fans for sure. He still got to produce a little more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DAG said:

you are the first to express this concern. I know I’ve never seen him as a heisman type player . I think he is the most talented player on our team , but it is not like he has that Marcus Lattimore effect , where the nation is all talking about him. SEC fans for sure. He still got to produce a little more.

I think he's that kind of player, 100%. I think the difference is who Lattimore played for. I see Tank entering that conversation this year. One thing that we haven't talked much about is that Harsin will ride a talented RB1 just like Gus did. That might be a function of him not usually being able to get more than one true stud RB1 on a Boise roster at one time, or maybe being able to do that against Mountain West defenses, but Alexander Mattison got over 300 carries one season. Tank might eat and eat well this year. 

But you're right, the national attention isn't there yet at all. 

• Like 3

Although there have been some, not many true freshmen RBs will get national attention. Tank is still just a sophomore this year but if he puts up some good numbers, say in the 1200-1500 yard range, he will start getting plenty of nationwide attention. One of the things that will help Tank get there is the fact that Worm added muscle and is running so well. We have 2 really tough RBs.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I agree with you,  I am just noticing the hype getting stronger every few weeks.

There is a lot of "special " about Tank.  Sooooo much talent and  potential.  Mentally I think he has that drive that makes special players special. 

But like you said  HE HAS TO PRODUCE. 

I think he will.  Watching him reminds me of watching Bo Jackson,  or Cam Newton.  I just think expectations are getting out of hand. More and more "superman" articles are coming out.   

He is just a 20 year old kid.  He will have to deal with life issues outside of football that will effect his game. (girlfriends dumping him, girlfriend getting pregnant,  his car getting hit in a parking lot with no note left, love one's getting ill,  being robbed etc.)   Life is hard,  and at 20 years old things happen that seem like the end of the world.

Expectation are deservingly high,  but  expectations are slowly getting unobtainably high.   The hype will be huge by mid July.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I'm not sure a single person expects what you just wrote.  If there are people that think he will score a TD every touch, run for 3,000 yards, never have a negative play....I'd love to meet them just to laugh at them.

I was using extremes to show my point.   Expectations are growing nation wide.  Slowly growing but never dipping.   I live a good way outside of Alabama,  and when I mention I am an AU fan and alumnus  more and more people respond with "don't you have a new coach", and then "I bet he is glad he has that Tank Bigsby  guy."     

9 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I agree with you,  I am just noticing the hype getting stronger every few weeks.

There is a lot of "special " about Tank.  Sooooo much talent and  potential.  Mentally I think he has that drive that makes special players special. 

I think he will.  Watching him reminds me of watching Bo Jackson,  or Cam Newton.  I just think expectations are getting out of hand. More and more "superman" articles are coming out.   

He is just a 20 year old kid.  He will have to deal with life issues outside of football that will effect his game. (girlfriends dumping him, girlfriend getting pregnant,  his car getting hit in a parking lot with no note left, love one's getting ill,  being robbed etc.)   Life is hard,  and at 20 years old things happen that seem like the end of the world.

Expectation are deservingly high,  but  expectations are slowly getting unobtainably high.   The hype will be huge by mid July.

First, Tank has a great marque name for a Heisman hopeful.

Second, Tank seems to be on his way to be as good as Tre Mason, and he got an invite to the Heisman presentation, so yes, I think Tank is Heisman capable.

But to move from Heisman capable to Heisman candidate, this year will tell us more, if he stays healthy and Harsin gives him a lot of carries to get into the 1,200+ rushing yards. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

So what?  Media hype is what they do -- they HAVE to have something to write about & Tanks's ability/potential is so obvious that even mediot sportswriters can recognize it.   

50 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Watching him reminds me of watching Bo Jackson

I love Tank and think he is very good, on the path to a great career. But this is a huge stretch. Bo was literally a generational athlete and Tank is not in his class. That is no slight on Tank either, just a statement about Bo’s greatness

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

I love Tank and think he is very good, on the path to a great career. But this is a huge stretch. Bo was literally a generational athlete and Tank is not in his class. That is no slight on Tank either, just a statement about Bo’s greatness

Athletes in Bo Jackson's class:

1. Bo Jackson

4. Jim Thorpe

5. A guy in a dream that Herschel Walker had in the late 80s

6. Leon Sandcastle

7. Cam Newton

I see what Quietman is saying, though. He's not actually a Bo or Cam. We just haven't had that truly electric guy in a minute who pops off the screen like he does. That's what I took from it, anyway.

And @Quietmaninthecorner, apologies, I said he's not getting the national attention but it sounds like you have personal experience that says otherwise. I'm okay with that. I want the pressure and the expectations from outside the fanbase. If we'd had that going into 2004, we would've been in the title game. (But from within the fanbase, I hope for a sober and informed collective opinion.) (Not that kind of sober, of course. I would never ask my fellow fans to endure this existence of prolonged cardiac uncertainty on the wagon.)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

1. Bo Jackson

4. Jim Thorpe

6. Leon Sandcastle

7. Cam Newton

I see what Quietman is saying, though. He's not actually a Bo or Cam. We just haven't had that truly electric guy in a minute who pops off the screen like he does. That's what I took from it, anyway.

And @Quietmaninthecorner, apologies, I said he's not getting the national attention but it sounds like you have personal experience that says otherwise. I'm okay with that. I want the pressure and the expectations from outside the fanbase. If we'd had that going into 2004, we would've been in the title game. (But from within the fanbase, I hope for a sober and informed collective opinion.) (Not that kind of sober, of course. I would never ask my fellow fans to endure this existence of prolonged cardiac uncertainty on the wagon.)

Agree. I told my wife last year after watching him run first time in college game that he reminded me of Caddy- still who his running style reminds me of the most. That wouldn’t be a bad AU career to emulate 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, fredst said:

It is a stretch , although  I see some  glimpses of greatness  similar to greats like Bo and others.  Definitely not saying he will be a "Bo",  but the way the hype is starting to build  expectations are pointing to that level of player.  

The  super-hype was not there for Bo until he started showing his exceptional talents on the field.  He also was exceptional at 2 sports  adding to his eventual super- hype.  One of the things that made Bo special was his athletic ability in just about any sport. 

Just a reminder,  we are 2 generations from Bo Jackson now.

6 minutes ago, fredst said:

Agree. I told my wife last year after watching him run first time in college game that he reminded me of Caddy- still who his running style reminds me of the most. That wouldn’t be a bad AU career to emulate 

Nor a bad draft position to equal. Not that it will happen, just because the NFL knows they don't have to draft RBs in the top 10 anymore. But if he goes anywhere in the 1st round, it will be just what the doctor ordered. 

Anyway. What you said. To Quiet's point, even that is major, major hype for a kid. But he does look like that kind of player. 

Add this to the list of spirited discussions we're lucky to have. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

1. Bo Jackson

4. Jim Thorpe

6. Leon Sandcastle

7. Cam Newton

This changes the parameters.  Are we comparing greatness to athletic ability  or football ability.  that list would look a lot different when compared to RB or football greatness.

Maybe something like 

1 Bo

4 Herschel  walker

5 Jim brown

6 Jim Thorpe

etc.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

This changes the parameters.  Are we comparing greatness to athletic ability  or football ability.  that list would look a lot different when compared to RB or football greatness.

Maybe something like 

1 Bo

4 Herschel  walker

5 Jim brown

6 Jim Thorpe

etc.

Fair enough, but Bo wouldn't be at the top of that list for me. Barry Sanders would. Jim Brown would probably come after him. Might even have Walter Payton next. 

With Bo, though, it's impossible for me to discuss him without focusing on his superhuman athletic prowess. Because that is what made him a great running back. Same with baseball. Pure physical superiority over literally everyone. I mean, Wrong Way Bo says it all. He wasn't a good running back on that play. He was a transcendent athlete. And he did that in other sports at the professional level! Bo was Bo, and that is why the conversation around him is unique and why folks will bristle at comparing another football player or any other athlete to him. 

So I hear what you're saying, but for me it's never about running back vs baseball player vs track guy vs other athletes in those sports when it comes to Bo. It's all about the fact that there just isn't anyone else to compare him to.

Bringing it all the way back around to Tank, I could see him being a more skilled running back than Bo. But, unlike Bo and unfortunately for us, he will still be governed by the laws of nature and physics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

It is a stretch , although  I see some  glimpses of greatness  similar to greats like Bo and others.  Definitely not saying he will be a "Bo",  but the way the hype is starting to build  expectations are pointing to that level of player.  

The  super-hype was not there for Bo until he started showing his exceptional talents on the field.  He also was exceptional at 2 sports  adding to his eventual super- hype.  One of the things that made Bo special was his athletic ability in just about any sport. 

Just a reminder,  we are 2 generations from Bo Jackson now.

Agree with all of this. Maybe it’s because Bo was my contemporary at AU but I can’t imagine a better athlete ever- maybe some equals but nobody better. I just remember when he signed with Auburn, long before recruiting was a thing; I know he held state records in multiple dashes, high jump, long jump, triple jump (I think) and won two state championships in decathlon without even competing in the 1500. Also drafted in second round of baseball draft by the Yankees. Even without having seen him or the hype kids have coming out of high school these days you knew we were getting something extraordinary at Auburn. Then the way players talked after his first scrimmage at Auburn....man, I get chills thinking about having the privilege to watch him play in person.

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Fair enough, but Bo wouldn't be at the top of that list for me. Barry Sanders would. Jim Brown would probably come after him. Might even have Walter Payton next. 

With Bo, though, it's impossible for me to discuss him without focusing on his superhuman athletic prowess. Because that is what made him a great running back. Same with baseball. Pure physical superiority over literally everyone. I mean, Wrong Way Bo says it all. He wasn't a good running back on that play. He was a transcendent athlete. And he did that in other sports at the professional level! Bo was Bo, and that is why the conversation around him is unique and why folks will bristle at comparing another football player or any other athlete to him. 

So I hear what you're saying, but for me it's never about running back vs baseball player vs track guy vs other athletes in those sports when it comes to Bo. It's all about the fact that there just isn't anyone else to compare him to.

Bringing it all the way back around to Tank, I could see him being a more skilled running back than Bo. But, unlike Bo and unfortunately for us, he will still be governed by the laws of nature and physics. 

Payton is my favorite. Because with him it's so much more than physics. I mean I know he had to be a supreme athlete but some of his stuff, staying on his feet after certain hits.....it just didn't make any sense to me. Like how are you doing this!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Payton is my favorite. Because with him it's so much more than physics. I mean I know he had to be a supreme athlete but some of his stuff, staying on his feet after certain hits.....it just didn't make any sense to me. Like how are you doing this!

He and Barry were my two favorites because of stuff like that. But it really is surprising to go back and watch a guy named Sweetness run as tough as any to ever do it. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

He and Barry were my two favorites because of stuff like that. But it really is surprising to go back and watch a guy named Sweetness run as tough as any to ever do it. 

Man and the weather both of those guys had to play in.....incredible. Barry would never be looking at the guy in front of him, he already saw him and had the move to shake him in his head he was always looking at the next guy after that setting him up. 😶

• Love 2

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Man and the weather both of those guys had to play in.....incredible. 

Jeez, I didn't even think about that. Lambeau and Soldier Field every year!