Notebook:

toddc

11 hours ago, toddc said:

I'm all for hyping our staff but I really hate the graphic of players

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm all for hyping our staff but I really hate the graphic of players

Aesthetically or conceptually?

I'm glad that they're starting to sell NFL alums to recruits, but I have no idea what looks good to the youngsters these days. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Aesthetically or conceptually?

I'm glad that they're starting to sell NFL alums to recruits, but I have no idea what looks good to the youngsters these days. 

These are NFL alums from other schools.

I get the notion that our current coaches helped get these kids to the NFL, but when 50% are from UGA I'm not really sure that is helping us.

Just list out XX 1st round Draft picks, XX players drafted or something.  not "Come to Auburn, look at all these great players from UGA".  Not a single AU alum on there

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

These are NFL alums from other schools.

I get the notion that our current coaches helped get these kids to the NFL, but when 50% are from UGA I'm not really sure that is helping us.

Just list out XX 1st round Draft picks, XX players drafted or something.  not "Come to Auburn, look at all these great players from UGA".  Not a single AU alum on there

Not any AU alums on there because Caddy is the only coach with any AU experience and he's only been here for 2 seasons and the only good RB he inherited is still here. 

As for the number of players drafted, it's probably not that impressive. But what is impressive is some of those names. Guys like Gurley, Stafford, Sherman and Wynn... those are big time NFL players. I think there's value in saying those names. 

And I can't imagine that 2022 kids aren't savvy enough to understand that Matt Stafford or AJ Green playing at uga over 10 years ago has absolutely nothing to do with kirby smart or Bryan Harsin. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not any AU alums on there because Caddy is the only coach with any AU experience and he's only been here for 2 seasons and the only good RB he inherited is still here. 

As for the number of players drafted, it's probably not that impressive. But what is impressive is some of those names. Guys like Gurley, Stafford, Sherman and Wynn... those are big time NFL players. I think there's value in saying those names. 

And I can't imagine that 2022 kids aren't savvy enough to understand that Matt Stafford or AJ Green playing at uga over 10 years ago has absolutely nothing to do with kirby smart or Bryan Harsin. 

Yeah I don't know.  I associate them with UGA, not Bobo.  I get the intent, I just don't think it really sells well.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Not really. Hot takes are currency these days. 

It’s a lot different when you’re putting your reputation on the line, and it’s not like he’s a reporter looking for clicks.

6 minutes ago, toddc said:

It’s a lot different when you’re putting your reputation on the line, and it’s not like he’s a reporter looking for clicks.

He's not putting his reputation on the line, though. It's not that deep.

And clicks aren't just a thing for reporters. Clicks are a thing for anyone with a brand. He's getting his name out there. Did you notice this other thing that article says?

As for how head coaches view Palmer when it comes to his word and analysis of quarterbacks? The word that keeps coming up is trust.

“That trust comes in part from the reputation Palmer has built over the years. When Auburn’s Bo Nix approached coach Gus Malzahn about working with Palmer last summer, Malzahn called his former quarterback Jarrett Stidham, who had worked with Palmer before being drafted by the Patriots. After Stidham sang Palmer’s praises, Malzahn gave Nix his blessing.”

Trust me, Palmer knows exactly what he's doing. People have ridden this strategy to far higher places saying far more improbable and controversial things than that. 

Edited by McLoofus

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He's not putting his reputation on the line, though. It's not that deep.

And clicks aren't just a thing for reporters. Clicks are a thing for anyone with a brand. He's getting his name out there. Did you notice this other thing that article says?

Trust me, Palmer knows exactly what he's doing. People have ridden this strategy to far higher places saying far more improbable and controversial things than that. 

You’re making my point about his reputation and saying things like this could damage it if he’s way off base.

55 minutes ago, toddc said:

That's pretty extremely put.  He's not putting his reputation on the line, that's silly.  He's hyping the guy that is paying him.  If Bo doesn't work out he's still going to coach a lot of QBs.

Here is him hyping Stidham.  The Patriots drafted another QB b/c they don't believe in JS.  Did he ruin his reputation?  No.

“To be clear, I think (Jarrett Stidham) is a star, and he is going to be a big-time franchise quarterback,” Palmer said, via Jeff Howe of The Athletic. “I have felt that way for a couple years now. I’m totally fine saying that. I don’t care that he went fourth round (of the 2019 draft). I think he is legitimate. He is going to be the leader of New England for a long time, whenever that starts. Go ahead and jump on that bandwagon.” 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, toddc said:

You’re making my point about his reputation and saying things like this could damage it if he’s way off base.

I'd be making your point if his job was predicting draft picks. It's not, though, and it doesn't matter in the least that he is saying these things in unimportant places a full year before the draft. His job is coaching QBs and helping them get drafted and his customer base sees a guy selling his clientele. I assure you that he couldn't care less if toddc and mcloofus on the Auburn forum remember this obviously calculated hot take a year from now. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, toddc said:

Not a huge fan of this graphic.  It Doesn’t feature Auburn players and features four UGA players.  UGA fans are having a field day with this graphic on Twitter.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

UGA fans are having a field day with this graphic on Twitter.

Don't give a rats ass what uga dawgs are saying these coaches help get these guys in NFL. I think its fine this will be old news by 3:00 today

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's promoting the abilities of our coaches. Since none have ever coached at Auburn previously, why would anyone think there would be Auburn players displayed?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lol what else would Palmer say? His business depends on getting guys on a team....also z so he's been getting one on one coaching from a guru and that's where he was at? And doesn't that throw the reason he's so far behind because he didn't get a spring with Morris?

• Like 2

I mean how would we be able to use auburn players on the graphic when they aren't getting drafted?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's promoting the abilities of our coaches. Since none have ever coached at Auburn previously, why would anyone think there would be Auburn players displayed?

The intent is fine, it just not done well.  

IDK maybe kids will not pick up on it vs adults.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

IDK maybe kids will not pick up on it vs adults.

They won't. The players these graphics are aimed at don't think like fans. They see football players just like them in NFL uniforms and they'll receive the message our coaches are sending them about how those guys got there. They don't care what town it happened in. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Don't give a rats ass what uga dawgs are saying these coaches help get these guys in NFL. I think its fine this will be old news by 3:00 today

33 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I don’t disagree with any of that, and understand the point that was conveyed, but I just feel like the graphic was off the mark.  One of the few times I could ever say that about our video/graphics team.  

I think the message is perfectly clear and screams volumes to who it is targeting.  Hint it is not targeting Auburn fans.

• Like 3

The first thing that came to my mind was that the whole report would be more believable if it was quoting Jordan Rodgers and he was predicting Bo would finish #1 on the Bachelorette.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'd be making your point if his job was predicting draft picks. It's not, though, and it doesn't matter in the least that he is saying these things in unimportant places a full year before the draft. His job is coaching QBs and helping them get drafted and his customer base sees a guy selling his clientele. I assure you that he couldn't care less if toddc and mcloofus on the Auburn forum remember this obviously calculated hot take a year from now. 

Well we disagree on this. A guy who has trained several NFL qbs says Bo has the tools to be a top draft pick speaks volumes. I don’t see how that’s not a big deal. He’s obviously earned the right to be heard on the topic and there’s no reason to believe he wouldn’t be qualified to make this assessment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

They won't. The players these graphics are aimed at don't think like fans. They see football players just like them in NFL uniforms and they'll receive the message our coaches are sending them about how those guys got there. They don't care what town it happened in. 

Exactly

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, toddc said:

A guy who has trained several NFL qbs says Bo has the tools to be a top draft pick speaks volumes.

To who?

• Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Why the emotion, @toddc? Honest question and I thought a fairly simple and uncontroversial one. 

To anyone who wants information from experts about a player you follow.