Notebook:

toddc

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Why the emotion, @toddc? Honest question and I thought a fairly simple and uncontroversial one. 

Nothing emotional about it. It seemed pretty obvious so I thought you were being smart.

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

To anyone who wants information from experts about a player you follow. 

Just now, toddc said:

Nothing emotional about it. It seemed pretty obvious so I thought you were being smart.

I mean, a facepalm is objectively an emotional reaction. But no, I was not being smart. 

But thank you for answering the question. So let me ask you a follow-up, and again, this is an honest question: What does your opinion of Jordan Palmer's reputation- or that of other people who follow Bo Nix- matter to Palmer? How does it affect him professionally or even personally? How is his reputation on the line or at stake?

As for the fact that it speaks volumes to you in the first place, that's what we're trying to explain. As you noted yourself, Palmer isn't a journalist, so his comments about Nix aren't even directed to you, or me, or anyone here. Well, unless someone here is in the market for a high-priced QB coach or participating in the 2022 draft process for an NFL team. Anyway, nothing he says should speak volumes to you. 

Now, when Gus used to get all fast and loose with comments like that, that spoke volumes, and was 100% relevant to Auburn fans. Spoke volumes about his leadership and culture. But hopefully it didn't speak volumes to any fans about the actual players he referenced. Not after the first couple seasons of it, anyway. 

My question is how can you really think a guy that couldn't identify a Mike running free at him when he's the only linebacker present and on the line of scrimmage; can't throw downfield; and I can't go through progressions just a year ago can in one year turn into the#1 pick in the draft? Are we really believing that?

• Like 1

This take on Bo by Palmer reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Samuel Johnson (although his was about second marriage): “The triumph of hope over experience”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, fredst said:

This take on Bo by Palmer reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Samuel Johnson (although his was about second marriage): “The triumph of hope over experience”

Damn your old had no idea you knew Sammy too

• Haha 1

I believe the Palmer quote was from prior to the 2020 season. Listen to yesterday’s Locked On Auburn podcast, it gets explained.

it’s an entertaining segment...said Gus had to do a background check on Palmer’s qualifications before letting Bo work with him.

Edited by AUDevil

22 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I believe the Palmer quote was from prior to the 2020 season. Listen to yesterday’s Locked On Auburn podcast, it gets explained.

it’s an entertaining segment...said Gus had to do a background check on Palmer’s qualifications before letting Bo work with him.

I am surprised Gus did that since it is the same QB coach Stidham worked with so Gus should have been familiar with Palmer by now.  

11 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I am surprised Gus did that since it is the same QB coach Stidham worked with so Gus should have been familiar with Palmer by now.  

You never know.  Something may have changed in that 18 mo time period

#paranoia

Sorry I missed this thread but the most recent conversation screams “too much time on my hands.” That graphic is for fanatics to argue or smile about . Nothing more, nothing less. I doubt the average student athlete even cares about that graphic versus current actions. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

I doubt the average student athlete even cares about that graphic versus current actions. 

I think that a DB recruit knowing that Derek Mason coached Richard Sherman or a QB or WR recruit knowing that Mike Bobo coached Matt Stafford and AJ Green is important, at least in this cycle and maybe in the next one, too. Recruits want to know if a staff can get them to the NFL. No, this isn't going to be the primary way recruits learn our staff's resumes, but it all feeds into the perception of the program. It's the same with the new football facility. There was a major Twitter blitz from the staff about that this week. They've got to build the brand. 

This won't be a thing a year or two from now. But it's very smart right now. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think that a DB recruit knowing that Derek Mason coached Richard Sherman or a QB or WR recruit knowing that Mike Bobo coached Matt Stafford and AJ Green is important, at least in this cycle and maybe in the next one, too. Recruits want to know if a staff can get them to the NFL. No, this isn't going to be the primary way recruits learn our staff's resumes, but it all feeds into the perception of the program. It's the same with the new football facility. There was a major Twitter blitz from the staff about that this week. They've got to build the brand. 

Yes but most DB recruits know this with or without a graphic. These guys go to camps. They have connections. A lot of their head coaches have the ins. AS high school coach, Patrick Surtain SR, was the main plug between him and Randy Moss. I am sure Randy Moss knew about flash well before he got to Auburn and definitely before he entered the draft. Like I said, it probably builds buzz for the twitter fan, but guys in the know, already know. 

Edited by DAG

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You're right. It's really nothing to argue about, fact is this is marketing so if you are going to do it let's do it well. It's just a shame the marketing team doesn't have too much to work with like we're some kind of bottom feeder. The team is in a very unique situation

• Like 5

As someone who was one of the first to openly wonder how this Bo experiment was going to go, I feel like I’d actually be on the more hopeful side of the spectrum if one play went differently. I’d think way better of the guy if one thing went different 

That throw to Harold Joiner in 2019 haunts me more than the entirety of 2020. Maybe because I didn’t care about 2020 pretty quickly lol 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You're right. It's really nothing to argue about, fact is this is marketing so if you are going to do it let's do it well. It's just a shame the marketing team doesn't have too much to work with like we're some kind of bottom feeder. The team is in a very unique situation

Exactly. I am sure they get paid to do this and this is all they have. That why to me it doesn't make very much difference to a recruit, although it might sway the opinion of the fan to know this stuff. Ultimately the results will be the difference maker. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Exactly. I am sure they get paid to do this and this is all they have. That why to me it doesn't make very much difference to a recruit, although it might sway the opinion of the fan to know this stuff. Ultimately the results will be the difference maker. 

I agree with you on the results part. That is what speaks loudest. Regarding the graphic, one thing to consider is our recruiting footprint. This staff is recruiting in places (NY, Maryland, Oregon, etc...)where AU might doesn’t have the same brand identity it does in the Deep South. For that reason, I am glad to see some of the new approaches. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree with you on the results part. That is what speaks loudest. Regarding the graphic, one thing to consider is our recruiting footprint. This staff is recruiting in places (NY, Maryland, Oregon, etc...)where AU might doesn’t have the same brand identity it does in the Deep South. For that reason, I am glad to see some of the new approaches. 

Yes I like that we are going out the box and I also like reading the article about CBH finding QB gems. You can find a pro and a con about that article I suppose, but it was a cool read and I hope it brings success to us. 

45 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Thank you. I don't think anyone's suggesting that this is going to lock down some 4* WR. Just like a Ford truck commercial isn't going to get me to buy a Ford truck. Yet those folks spend bazillions of bucks for Super Bowl ads as though there's a single person that didn't already know what a Ford truck is. Branding, branding, branding. Gotta keep Auburn fresh in recruits' minds at all times. 

Exactly what you said. This isn't some miracle strategy that's gonna save Auburn football but it's the best thing they can do right now. And it is has almost nothing to do with fans. 

• Like 1

Just now, McLoofus said:

Thank you. I don't think anyone's suggesting that this is going to lock down some 4* WR. Just like a Ford truck commercial isn't going to get me to buy a Ford truck. Yet those folks spend bazillions of bucks for Super Bowl ads as though there's a single person that didn't already know what a Ford truck is. Branding, branding, branding. Gotta keep Auburn fresh in recruits' minds at all times. 

Exactly what you said. This isn't some miracle strategy that's gonna save Auburn football but it's the best thing they can do right now. And it is has almost nothing to do with fans. 

Because when you look at it if you just get one of those good guys from out of state it's worth it. And if the brand gets built to be viewed as consistent now you have the most powerful tool you can have. I absolutely agree. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Results man for sure the loudest. A PowerPoint about who coached who 5 years ago may stick for about 5 minutes. Its definitely not a point to be arguing about lol.

Edited by DAG

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Just like a Ford truck commercial isn't going to get me to buy a Ford truck.

I feel like such a dumba**. I went and bought a Ford truck after seeing those ads recently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

I feel like such a dumba**. I went and bought a Ford truck after seeing those ads recently.

"Wait, WHAT? Honey, come look at this!"

(My wife bought a hybrid Escape last week. She's getting 50 mpg. That thing is suhWEET. I only get 45 mpg in my hybrid Fusion. :()

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

"Wait, WHAT? Honey, come look at this!"

(My wife bought a hybrid Escape last week. She's getting 50 mpg. That thing is suhWEET. I only get 45 mpg in my hybrid Fusion. :()

Actually, I was kidding. I’m the ugly American with a gas-guzzling GMC with a V8. Good news- I’ve had it >2 years and it only has 9k miles so I’m not burning a ton of gas

6 minutes ago, fredst said:

Actually, I was kidding. I’m the ugly American with a gas-guzzling GMC with a V8. Good news- I’ve had it >2 years and it only has 9k miles so I’m not burning a ton of gas

Well yeah because you mostly travel by float plane :poke:

I knew you were kidding, of course. But one thing about us hybrid drivers is that we never kid. I don't think you're allowed to have a sense of humor and drive a hybrid. Pretty much the only thing you're allowed to say at parties (or on message boards) is, "I drive a hybrid, soooo..." before literally turning your nose up and walking away. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AUGoo said:

You never know.  Something may have changed in that 18 mo time period

#paranoia

This from Saturday Down South article a few months ago:

the "coach" is Jordan Palmer.    maybe the change in Head coach gives him a reason for the Nix optimism.

"Why hasn't Jarrett Stidham played more? QB coach says Gus Malzahn's offense 'is the furthest thing from NFL offense' he's ever seen"

13 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

This from Saturday Down South article a few months ago:

the "coach" is Jordan Palmer.    maybe the change in Head coach gives him a reason for the Nix optimism.

"Why hasn't Jarrett Stidham played more? QB coach says Gus Malzahn's offense 'is the furthest thing from NFL offense' he's ever seen"

And he still ain't playing after couple of years under the patriots, although some on here swore he just needed a new scenery.