DL Jaren Handy enters transfer portal

Maverick.AU

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Those numbers are nearly impossible.  If you lost 12-15 per year, in addition to graduating about 20, it wouldn't be sustainable b/c you're losing more kids than the 25 you can bring in each year

Schools seldom graduate 20. Why? Because so many have dropped out before their senior year. The 12-15 is new because of the newly  laxed transfer rules and it remains to be seen how this works out long-term. The 7 to 11 attrition every year is solid data, going back to the 1970's.

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I didn't say Clemson *never* loses guys. Obviously. But it's well known that Dabo develops and retains his guys at a high rate. 

As for Handy, yes, it's disappointing. But no it wasn't performance related and he says he didn't want to leave. There was something else here. I'm not going to speculate as to what it was but I don't see why anyone would get emotional about the situation. He was a Gus guy who, for whatever reason, didn't work out with the new staff. Happens every time there's turnover. If Harsin exhibits the same propensity as the previous coach for losing a high percentage of his best recruits to abnormal attrition, then it's time to start expressing real concern.

Right, Clemson has small classes and keeps almost all their players.  Just pointing out that they are starting to get hit too.  It'll be interesting if Dabo changes his stance on taking transfers.  I'm going to assume he will.

I'd like to know what Handy did or what happened that he can't stay.  IDK if it is Harsin trying to establish some ground rules and make an example out of a kid.  I hope it isn't something tedious.  Hopefully it is for the best for both, IDK.  We'll see.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Right, Clemson has small classes and keeps almost all their players.  Just pointing out that they are starting to get hit too.  It'll be interesting if Dabo changes his stance on taking transfers.  I'm going to assume he will.

I'd like to know what Handy did or what happened that he can't stay.  IDK if it is Harsin trying to establish some ground rules and make an example out of a kid.  I hope it isn't something tedious.  Hopefully it is for the best for both, IDK.  We'll see.

Can't imagine we'll ever know. I just don't get worried about things until I sense a trend. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Can't imagine we'll ever know. I just don't get worried about things until I sense a trend. 

Hopefully the other 3 that missed A-Day don't have the same outcome.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Hopefully the other 3 that missed A-Day don't have the same outcome.

Who were the other two? Handy just entered portal.

4 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

Who were the other two? Handy just entered portal.

Alec Jackson & Moultry.  Did Hardy miss A-Day too?

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Welp.

Damn it.  I know there is always going to be loss in a transition, but the exodus has been pretty big.  I know we'll get some hardos convinced we're just running off players who aren't tough enough of something stupid  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Sounds like a guy who might have been invited to leave due to this actions or inactions. 

On 5/3/2021 at 9:44 AM, W.E.D said:

IDK if it is Harsin trying to establish some ground rules and make an example out of a kid.  I hope it isn't something tedious.  Hopefully it is for the best for both, IDK.  We'll see.

Someone posted this quote from Harsin from a recent interview with the Athletic

Coach Harsin 🗣
“We’re at the stage now where, right now, I’d say it’s probably 50-50. Some guys have figured it all out, and some are still just trying to show up on time. That’s what this is about every day. We can do something well for two or three days and we can absolutely have a disaster — five, six guys just don’t show up. Don’t show up. Where is your culture? Is it still solid or has it gone backwards? The culture piece is about expectations and behaviors. … To do that day-in and and day-out is the consistency piece. Are you disciplined enough to do that? Are you tough enough to do that? Do you believe in what we’re doing?”

Showing up and being on time aren’t hard. Sounds like those who can’t or won’t are being invited to play elsewhere and I fully support that approach. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Hate it for him.

Yep, really sounds like it wasn’t his choice. I do wish him the best.

21 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Showing up and being on time aren’t hard. Sounds like those who can’t or won’t are being invited to play elsewhere and I fully support that approach. 

Agree fully. The deal with rules and limits are that when they are enforced it doesn't give you any room for negotiation... 2 minutes late? May as well be an hour late. You still pay the price. Some people learn the hard way. 

27 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Which means there was a reason

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

@Zeek or @Tigerpro2a, I think it was, communicated with him directly and he confirmed this.

His tweeter feed is brutal to read this week. I don't follow him but have seen several of his tweets circulated. Might be his own doing but still hate it for the guy.

40 minutes ago, Paladin said:

I think that is a great decision/destination for him 

• Like 2

I remember when Pat Dye first got to Auburn the players said it was “Dye’s Ways or Trailways”.   It’s all part of changing the culture.  If you signed with Auburn expecting things to be one way and the new coach comes in and says “no that’s not the way we are going to do it here” then you can expect some guys are not going to be onboard with it.  Plus the new transfer rules make it much easier for them to go somewhere else.  Now, if the new coaching staff starts having players they recruited leave then maybe we have an issue but for now I think it’s just all a part of the coaching change.  Wish Jaren the best and move on.  

• Like 6

6 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I remember when Pat Dye first got to Auburn the players said it was “Dye’s Ways or Trailways”.   It’s all part of changing the culture.  If you signed with Auburn expecting things to be one way and the new coach comes in and says “no that’s not the way we are going to do it here” then you can expect some guys are not going to be onboard with it.  Plus the new transfer rules make it much easier for them to go somewhere else.  Now, if the new coaching staff starts having players they recruited leave then maybe we have an issue but for now I think it’s just all a part of the coaching change.  Wish Jaren the best and move on.  

I agree with this, but I would also add that even with the recruits this coaching staff brings in, there will be every year some of those recruits who see they aren't getting playing time, don't mix with their position coach over time, and for many other reasons too, will jump into the transfer portal, just bc it's easier now, and find other teams that seem to fit them better, they think. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I agree with this, but I would also add that even with the recruits this coaching staff brings in, there will be every year some of those recruits who see they aren't getting playing time, don't mix with their position coach over time, and for many other reasons too, will jump into the transfer portal, just bc it's easier now, and find other teams that seem to fit them better, they think. 

I don't think so. Right now there a literally thousands of players in the portal, but there aren't even hundreds of openings, considerably

less than that at the power 5 level. FCS is an option, but probably not the one these guys are planning on. Experience is a great teacher, and I hate it for the ones that are the expiremental group. Many will be disappointed. The big problem will be the 5 stars and the schools that would -skirt- the rules to contact players on a team before anyone enters the portal. Not naming names, but I don't have to.  

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

I hate it for the ones that are the expiremental group.

I like that word. Kind of like a failed experiment.🤓

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2021 at 12:37 PM, AUgrad2013 said:

Academic, behavior, or culture change we have to stop losing talent we are able to sign. Handy is a very talented kid. In limited reps, in my opinion, he was one of our better edge players.  Stand up edge player or DE, its a big loss. Height and Moultry do not have the upside. 

I really thought Moultry would have the upside but, so far, that has not been the case.

On 5/5/2021 at 6:02 PM, Gowebb11 said:

Someone posted this quote from Harsin from a recent interview with the Athletic

Coach Harsin 🗣
“We’re at the stage now where, right now, I’d say it’s probably 50-50. Some guys have figured it all out, and some are still just trying to show up on time. That’s what this is about every day. We can do something well for two or three days and we can absolutely have a disaster — five, six guys just don’t show up. Don’t show up. Where is your culture? Is it still solid or has it gone backwards? The culture piece is about expectations and behaviors. … To do that day-in and and day-out is the consistency piece. Are you disciplined enough to do that? Are you tough enough to do that? Do you believe in what we’re doing?”

I wonder if this is how things rolled under the previous regime..