DL Jaren Handy enters transfer portal

Maverick.AU

2 hours ago, AUgrad2013 said:

Academic, behavior, or culture change we have to stop losing talent we are able to sign. Handy is a very talented kid. In limited reps, in my opinion, he was one of our better edge players.  Stand up edge player or DE, its a big loss. Height and Moultry do not have the upside. 

Signed by a different coaching staff. Your first sentence sounds pretty silly to me. Panic much? How many months have these coaches been here? 

Edited by boisnumber1
  • Like 1

So I reached out to JH just to see if I could get any info. I told him I hated to hear he wouldn't be suiting up with the Tigers and wished him well. He replied with " I didn't want to leave :(" 

Not sure what happened. I think he is going to do big things wherever he ends up if it isn't a discipline or class issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

38 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So I reached out to JH just to see if I could get any info. I told him I hated to hear he wouldn't be suiting up with the Tigers and wished him well. He replied with " I didn't want to leave :(" 

Not sure what happened. I think he is going to do big things wherever he ends up if it isn't a discipline or class issue.

That's tough.  Choices have consequences

• Like 3

4 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Signed by a different coaching staff. Your first sentence sounds pretty silly to me. Panic much? How many months have these coaches been here? 

Other postered said it could be academic or behavior. My point was we have to stop losing players we sign. Period. I don’t care what the reason is. 

12 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Handy, a top-100 prospect and the No. 7 strongside defensive end in the 2018 class, contributed three tackles for loss and one sack in two seasons as a reserve along Auburn's defensive line.

That's not a lot of production for the time he was here but he doesn't seem like a trouble maker. There is some factor involved we don't know about. One thing, he wasn't run off to make room under the 85 scholarship limit, we have plenty of space.

13 hours ago, casatiger said:

The best programs don't let their best players leave without a fight.   Hope he either is not one of our best or we fought like heck to keep him. 

I’m sure even the worst programs don’t let their best players leave without a fight, unless they don’t want them stay for some reason. Seems kinda common sense to me. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

This one hurt.  We were already short on DL

I agree it hurts, but remember that transfer Leota is on the way and he has significant experience. 

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I’m sure even the worst programs don’t let their best players leave without a fight, unless they don’t want them stay for some reason. Seems kinda common sense to me. 

Yes I agree. I believe there is something that transpired behind the scenes the couple days leading up to A-Day, because he was steady posting videos online of practice and he was always out there with the 1's even a couple days before A-Day. 

11 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

What the heck happened? This is a strange one all around. Seems like a good kid

I wish I knew how to post a screenshot. He told me yesterday that again he didn't want to leave. He also said he was going to talk to Allan Greene about the issue. Never stated what the issue was. I guess that ship has sailed.

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I wish I knew how to post a screenshot. He told me yesterday that again he didn't want to leave. He also said he was going to talk to Allan Greene about the issue. Never stated what the issue was. I guess that ship has sailed.

I don't think involving Greene is the way to go. A coach can't have the AD questioning personnel decisions. This is unfortunate but I think it's a done deal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

If the brand new coach made the decision it would be a bad look if he changed his mind days later, no matter what the AD has to say.  The AD was probably consulted before hand.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 7:29 PM, AUgrad2013 said:

My point was we have to stop losing players we sign. Period. I don’t care what the reason is.

That starts with recruiting. Accurate evaluation, roster management, and culture fit all play a role. No idea what happened with Handy, but I'll bet we see less and less of this as Harsin gets his recruits on the team.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oracle79 said:

That starts with recruiting. Accurate evaluation, roster management, and culture fit all play a role. No idea what happened with Handy, but I'll bet we see less and less of this as Harsin gets his recruits on the team.

I hope your right. Sick of seeing talented guys transfer. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 7:29 PM, AUgrad2013 said:

My point was we have to stop losing players we sign. Period. I don’t care what the reason is.

I have followed this for a very, very long time. Average number of dropouts is from 7 to 11 every year and this has been constant across all SEC teams every time I checked a team other than Auburn. This number had increased somewhat lately due to the portal and relaxed transfer rules. It's not going to stop, it's going to increase from the 7 to 11 range to more like 12 to 15 as long as the rules remain as they are today.

12 hours ago, AUgrad2013 said:

I hope your right. Sick of seeing talented guys transfer. 

You're not going to see it stop. And it doesn't mean that our staff is doing anything wrong.

Now, when your *most* talented guys are transferring and your less talented guys are the ones staying, that's a problem, and it did feel like that happened a little more than usual with Gus. 

But we're going to sign more guys than we can play, and some of the guys that don't play are going to leave. That's not an Auburn thing, that's an everyone thing. (Except maybe Clemson...) Ideally, the guys leaving are talented, because if untalented guys are leaving then that means we're recruiting untalented guys. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ideally, the guys leaving are talented, because if untalented guys are leaving then that means we're recruiting untalented guys.

Lesser talented might be better phrasing here. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

I have followed this for a very, very long time. Average number of dropouts is from 7 to 11 every year and this has been constant across all SEC teams every time I checked a team other than Auburn. This number had increased somewhat lately due to the portal and relaxed transfer rules. It's not going to stop, it's going to increase from the 7 to 11 range to more like 12 to 15 as long as the rules remain as they are today.

Those numbers are nearly impossible.  If you lost 12-15 per year, in addition to graduating about 20, it wouldn't be sustainable b/c you're losing more kids than the 25 you can bring in each year

• Facepalm 1

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You're not going to see it stop. And it doesn't mean that our staff is doing anything wrong.

Now, when your *most* talented guys are transferring and your less talented guys are the ones staying, that's a problem, and it did feel like that happened a little more than usual with Gus. 

But we're going to sign more guys than we can play, and some of the guys that don't play are going to leave. That's not an Auburn thing, that's an everyone thing. (Except maybe Clemson...) Ideally, the guys leaving are talented, because if untalented guys are leaving then that means we're recruiting untalented guys. 

Clemson saw a pretty good young RB hit the portal this year.  As a Soph he was 3rd on the DC so he's bouncing.

I don't think Handy was buried on the DC.  Disappointing.  We need to stop losing our top talent and we need our top talent to actually develop.  Two things that were lacking with past staffs.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Clemson saw a pretty good young RB hit the portal this year.  As a Soph he was 3rd on the DC so he's bouncing.

I don't think Handy was buried on the DC.  Disappointing.  We need to stop losing our top talent and we need our top talent to actually develop.  Two things that were lacking with past staffs.

I didn't say Clemson *never* loses guys. Obviously. But it's well known that Dabo develops and retains his guys at a high rate. 

As for Handy, yes, it's disappointing. But no it wasn't performance related and he says he didn't want to leave. There was something else here. I'm not going to speculate as to what it was but I don't see why anyone would get emotional about the situation. He was a Gus guy who, for whatever reason, didn't work out with the new staff. Happens every time there's turnover. If Harsin exhibits the same propensity as the previous coach for losing a high percentage of his best recruits to abnormal attrition, then it's time to start expressing real concern.

• Like 1