DL Jaren Handy enters transfer portal

Maverick.AU

Auburn pass-rusher Jaren Handy enters transfer portal

• by Nathan King

Two weeks after missing Auburn's spring game for undisclosed reasons, Auburn edge rusher Jaren Handy has entered the transfer portal, a source told 247Sports on Friday.

Handy, a top-100 prospect and the No. 7 strongside defensive end in the 2018 class, contributed three tackles for loss and one sack in two seasons as a reserve along Auburn's defensive line.

Handy was one of six players not present at Auburn's A-Day spring game earlier this month. Bryan Harsin did not share why they were absent, saying, "They just weren’t out there today for different reasons.”

Auburn Undercover will update this story. Check back soon for additional information.

Well that stinks.  The couple times he played last year he looked good.  Sounds like there may be some other things going on though.

Really confused by this. I follow him on Twitter and he always said good things about the new coaches and how he loved how the program was going and to watch out for him this season. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Really confused by this. I follow him on Twitter and he always said good things about the new coaches and how he loved how the program was going and to watch out for him this season. 

Yea, kinda surprising since he did so multiple times on social media.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Yea, kinda surprising since he did so multiple times on social media.

I think Wooden, Hall, Height, Moultry, Brooks, and Leota are all probably pegged to get more reps than Handy. Getting to the point in the spring where these frank discussions take place. Wish him the best.

• Like 2

If my math is right we're now down to 9 scholarship Juniors

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Yeah. Makes me think it isn’t his choice. Academic issue or behavior issue maybe?

• Like 1

Academic, behavior, or culture change we have to stop losing talent we are able to sign. Handy is a very talented kid. In limited reps, in my opinion, he was one of our better edge players.  Stand up edge player or DE, its a big loss. Height and Moultry do not have the upside. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

42 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Dammit. After @Tigerpro2acommented on the A Day thread, I felt pretty good.

Yea, I did too. This is a huge shock. Man...I knew not to put too much stock into that, but I believed what he told me.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, AUgrad2013 said:

Academic, behavior, or culture change we have to stop losing talent we are able to sign. Handy is a very talented kid. In limited reps, in my opinion, he was one of our better edge players.  Stand up edge player or DE, its a big loss. Height and Moultry do not have the upside. 

Height has tremendous upside and more ability as a linebacker as well.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Also

Sounds like that 2019 class is going the way of Tubs 2008 class.  Harsin really needs a strong 2022 class because he’s already fighting uphill. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

We chat on FB often and he has said nothing but good things about the staff and scheme and has seemed really excited. I hope we get more details about this, but I doubt we ever know what happened. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

I agree...HEight is the most promising of the bunch to me, but Handy was really coming on. I think Joko will be a huge addition in the fall.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I think Wooden, Hall, Height, Moultry, Brooks, and Leota are all probably pegged to get more reps than Handy. Getting to the point in the spring where these frank discussions take place. Wish him the best.

Throughout most of spring Handy was said to be working with the 1's at OLB. 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

If we want a defense that is comparable to bama and uga in scheme and to beat them on the field we have to start having bigger, more physical edge guys. 215 pounds OLBs dont match up well with TEs and 330 pounds OTs. 

5 minutes ago, AUgrad2013 said:

If we want a defense that is comparable to bama and uga in scheme and to beat them on the field we have to start having bigger, more physical edge guys. 215 pounds OLBs dont match up well with TEs and 330 pounds OTs. 

With transfer today, I would like to see wooten get more reps at edge. He can slide back inside if needed. 

18 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I might be more excited for Walker, although both could be stars for us.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I might be more excited for Walker, although both could be stars for us.

Which Walker you talking about? Zykevious? He plays a totally different position than Height.

• Like 1

The best programs don't let their best players leave without a fight.   Hope he either is not one of our best or we fought like heck to keep him. 

7 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Which Walker you talking about? Zykevious? He plays a totally different position than Height.

Yes, although I just talking about the DL as a whole with that class.

• Like 1