Auburn's Outgoing Transfers

Zeek

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

"Somewhat"

"Mitigate"

As for our vertical game, it's not like we had much of one to replace. Among guys who actually caught the ball downfield last season, Jackson and Canion had higher YPC averages than Schwartz or Stove, and Capers was right there with Schwartz. Also keep in mind that Stove didn't even get drafted, so I'm not sure why anyone would be super concerned that a Hudson, Javy Johnson and/or Jet Johnson (almost as fast as Schwartz) couldn't replace him. And this is from a guy who picked Stove as his man crush last season. 

Nobody's claiming we're going to set records this year but that was a trash ass offense and it really wouldn't take much to improve upon it. Particularly if we now have a play caller who understands game script, down and distance, diversifying routes, using quick passes to big targets to mitigate pass rushes, attacking the entire field instead of just throwing screens and deep balls where every receiver just runs a straight vertical route, substituting, building depth... Yeah, I think that when the defense's edge guys can't just pin their ears back on every third down and when the LBs and safeties know that they'll never have to defend an intermediate pass to the middle third of the field, and when CBs don't know the route that they'll be covering on every play... yeah, I think those kinds of things will somewhat mitigate the loss of a sixth rounder, a third rounder and a guy who didn't get drafted.

Also, I'm curious how you came to the conclusion that we don't have talent at WR. What exactly have you seen from these guys that tells you they're not good enough?

No past production and what I saw at Aday.  The more fitting question is what do any of you guys touting them have to support it.  They've combined for a historical 150 college yards.  One was a 4 star recruit (Johson); but beyond that I will see it when I believe it.  Replacing the production of 2 NFL draftees and one that will wind up on a FA contract is no small matter.  And last, but not least; they will still have the same QB throwing to them...who may; or may not; show any improvement vs last year.   He didn't Aday.  I don't really see anything other than wish-casting that would imply improved performance...and A day sure didn't provide any signs for either QB or receiver.   

55 minutes ago, japantiger said:

No past production and what I saw at Aday.  The more fitting question is what do any of you guys touting them have to support it.  They've combined for a historical 150 college yards.  One was a 4 star recruit (Johson); but beyond that I will see it when I believe it.  Replacing the production of 2 NFL draftees and one that will wind up on a FA contract is no small matter.  And last, but not least; they will still have the same QB throwing to them...who may; or may not; show any improvement vs last year.   He didn't Aday.  I don't really see anything other than wish-casting that would imply improved performance...and A day sure didn't provide any signs for either QB or receiver.   

Well if recruiting rankings inform so much of your opinion of these guys, then you should know that Kobe Hudson was a four-star recruit and a top 150 recruit in the nation.

And if ADay informs most of the rest of your opinion, then I would encourage you to look back at past ADays and see how many of the standout players stood out in the fall.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Well if recruiting rankings inform so much of your opinion of these guys, then you should know that Kobe Hudson was a four-star recruit and a top 150 recruit in the nation.

And if ADay informs most of the rest of your opinion, then I would encourage you to look back at past ADays and see how many of the standout players stood out in the fall.

It's why they play the games...hopefully I am wrong.  But I don't think so.  

Harsin needs time to get quality talent.  He didn't finish his recruiting too badly.  But the class is still out of the top 20 and too few numbers.  I think we've had one top 10 class now in the last 5.  We play in a division in a league loaded with the best talent in the NCAA; top 10 class talent.  Harsin was hired to do better than Gus's seasonal mediocrity and losing bowl games.  We do not have talent on the roster or the attitude on the field to do that yet.  Pat Dye's 1st team was 500.  But it set an expectation for toughness and commitment that every team after knew it had to live up to.  Then the wins came.  If Harsin can ingrain that culture in year one, the recruits and the wins will come.  It won't happen the other way around.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

" Pat Dye's 1st team was 500.  But it set an expectation for toughness and commitment that every team after knew it had to live up to.  Then the wins came.  If Harsin can ingrain that culture in year one, the recruits and the wins will come.  It won't happen the other way around. "

EXACTLY. That team was also one of the two favorites he ever coached, and he ran off most of the "talent" on the team in the spring. I have wanted to shout this every time someone is hyperventilating about our latest transfer. This doesn't mean I think Harsin will be a new Saban or Dye. It means that to change a culture requires change, of course, and complete buy in by everyone on board. The latter is every bit as important. It's very hard, but it's the only choice  BH has. I hope he succeeds, but regardless of the outcome, he's got to do this as the first step, IMHO. 

• Like 4

For what it's worth...

I trust Dukes personally 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Zeek said:

For what it's worth...

I trust Dukes personally 

I don’t doubt the veracity of this but who really knows outside of those players? Yet another example of why change was needed and long overdue. If the team in any sport stops being a meritocracy then mediocrity is soon to follow.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zeek said:

For what it's worth...

I trust Dukes personally 

Just goes to what I said, especially when you are a new coach your team won't trust you unless you just go by performance. Maybe we'll find out we had some talent that nobody even knew about

• Like 6
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Just goes to what I said, especially when you are a new coach your team won't trust you unless you just go by performance. Maybe we'll find out we had some talent that nobody even knew about

Tyler Fromm at A-Day was an absolute surprise for me to see how many targets he had and separation he had.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

For what it's worth...

I trust Dukes personally 

This is a good thing for me 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Tyler Fromm at A-Day was an absolute surprise for me to see how many targets he had and separation he had.

I really didn't even pay attention. I think I read he was really really good though. Iconic Gus left the roster with so much potential at tight end isn't? If it was any other team I'd laugh but it hurts so 😭

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

For what it's worth...

I trust Dukes personally 

Someone else on here basically mentioned the same thing as he did but whatever reason, no one believed him.  Every player met with position coach and Harsin before going home.  I am sure a few were told where they stand on depth chart, wasn’t happy and decided to enter portal.  

41 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

Someone else on here basically mentioned the same thing as he did but whatever reason, no one believed him.  Every player met with position coach and Harsin before going home.  I am sure a few were told where they stand on depth chart, wasn’t happy and decided to enter portal.  

When these situations happen, I'm always reminded of the story my Dad used to tell me about the major league manager during the depression having contract discussions with his players.  Their top player came and asked for a raise and said if he didn't get it he would quit.  The manager asked him what place the team finished the season;  the player said last.  The manager said; well, I think we can finish in last without you....

You have to wonder has/had the new staff not made that clear? If so, that would be a bad way for a new staff to handle the players...or are so many of these kids so "Gussified" that they didn't really understand that they were underperforming and had to be hit over the head with reality before they "got it"; that is, the new expectations...I can understand that.  

Can you imagine anyone on Saban's teams not understanding where they stand?

On 5/8/2021 at 10:38 PM, japantiger said:

You have to wonder has/had the new staff not made that clear? If so, that would be a bad way for a new staff to handle the players...or are so many of these kids so "Gussified" that they didn't really understand that they were underperforming and had to be hit over the head with reality before they "got it"; that is, the new expectations...I can understand that.  

Can you imagine anyone on Saban's teams not understanding where they stand?

NS makes the expectations crystal clear to every person involved with that program.  Lays out a plan and a detailed process for achieving excellence.  They aren't perfect, but everyone knows where they stand and and they all have a choice to make the minute they enter that program.  

"Keep the main thing the main thing."  Dr. Kevin Elko 

I mean, it's spring with a new staff after mostly only virtual communications. This was the first opportunity for players and coaches to do their jobs in front of each other on a football field. Any hand wringing over communication of expectations is very strange to me. Spring separates the wheat from the chaff even in stable, continuous coaching regimes, and it is very normal that more chaff is identified when it's a new staff. Compound that by the current transfer environment and, again, the very limited and limiting offseason, and I can't imagine this catching anyone by surprise. Especially the players being alluded to in the posts above. They were probably already wary, but like normal, rational human beings wanted to actually get on the field before throwing in the towel. 

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Spring separates the wheat from the chaff even in stable, continuous coaching regimes,

Nice subtle Bible reference- Matthew 3:12

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Nice subtle Bible reference- Matthew 3:12

Hey, there's even a barn reference! I had to look it up. I hope none of our guys that transfer out burn in flames and stuff. That seems excessive.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I hope none of our guys that transfer out burn in flames and stuff. That seems excessive.

Seems right to me if the transfer is within the SEC. Out of conference maybe we can cut some slack....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I hope none of our guys that transfer out burn in flames and stuff.

Auburn to Bloomington Indiana is a close second though. Ouch.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Auburn to Bloomington Indiana is a close second though. Ouch.

Yeah. But Tom Allen’s players seem to love him so I get it

• Like 3

Some rumors that two more DBs and an OL might leave 

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

DB wouldn't be surprising since we're probably about to add two more from the portal. 

OL would suck

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Interesting. Be curious to see who the OL is. Jones and Council are the two I think we cannot afford to lose. Both should be starters so don't think they will.. but who knows.