Does UCF want to Play us?

aubiefifty

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

As has been said, it's a no-win solution for Auburn.

Annnndd, I'm confident AD Greene could do a LOT better with scheduling OOC opponents.  He's a Notre Dame grad, isn't he?   Hmmm ... .... home & home?  Heck, I wouldn't mind a 2 fer 1 with ND.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Hilarious, but come on . They are a powerhouse . I get what your saying lol 

We've played them a bazillion times and it never goes well for us...they took us to the brink when they went 6-7 and we won the NC. If Jay didn't love playing them we probably would've gone to the playoffs instead of UAT in 2017. Cal-Berkeley is the type of home and home we should be doing--they're an opponent we haven't played much if ever, it's a scenic local (when not on fire), and they shouldn't be too difficult a team (weren't we just complaining about how we always have one of the toughest schedules in CFB?)

Also, it's interesting to think that the two of us would've been the opponents for USCw and Oklahoma if a playoff existed in '04 (w/ selection committee, of course).

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Uhh no, it's a goofy idea. Why in the world would we want to do that ? AU is already "helping him out" to the tune of $20 million left on his buyout. I am more concerned with helping out Coach Harsin get his feet wet and getting off to a good start before he has to deal with this kind of silliness.

AU signed a contract.  Nobody forced anyone to do anything. It would be childish to expect a coach that is let go to not collect what he is owed under the terms of his contract.  You will never hear Gus bad mouth Auburn, which is the way it should be. Likewise, there is no reason that Auburn people should be anything but cordial toward Gus.  Stomping our feet and whining doesn't make us look like the program we strive to be.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 1

41 minutes ago, AUwent said:

We've played them a bazillion times and it never goes well for us...they took us to the brink when they went 6-7 and we won the NC. If Jay didn't love playing them we probably would've gone to the playoffs instead of UAT in 2017. Cal-Berkeley is the type of home and home we should be doing--they're an opponent we haven't played much if ever, it's a scenic local (when not on fire), and they shouldn't be too difficult a team (weren't we just complaining about how we always have one of the toughest schedules in CFB?)

Also, it's interesting to think that the two of us would've been the opponents for USCw and Oklahoma if a playoff existed in '04 (w/ selection committee, of course).

I totally get it man . Just wanted AU to have more national exposure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

As has been said, it's a no-win solution for Auburn.

It would be a scenario like when we Gus-ed up the bowl against UCF but exponentially worse. Only way we should ever play them is if we get forced to in another bowl scenario... then we should beat their f’ing brains out

• Like 5
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

AU signed a contract.  Nobody forced anyone to do anything. It would be childish to expect a coach that is let go to not collect what he is owed under the terms of his contract.  You will never hear Gus bad mouth Auburn, which is the way it should be. Likewise, there is no reason that Auburn people should be anything but cordial toward Gus.  Stomping our feet and whining doesn't make us look like the program we strive to be.

Not disagreeing with your take in this as a whole but the stomping and whining is based on fans feeling Auburn didn't get their money's worth while Gus was on the sideline. It's not really about fulfilling the contract on Auburn's side as much as feeling our Happy Meal was missing the french fries. Everyone just wanted what they thought was paid for. You are right, Gus won't badmouth Auburn but he has zero reason to. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I live near UCF and hear the local sports talk radio guys talk about UCF scheduling.  2 for 1 deals are about the only way they can get someone outside of the AAF to play them.  The previous AD resisted because he wanted UCF to be on equal footing with big name schools.  Not going to happen.  UCF has a nice little program.  Huge school, but not alot of money.  Stadium seats 45k, day games are hotter than hell and there is no demand for a larger stadium unless they play all of their games at night and/or at home late in the season.  UCF has a new AD, maybe he has figured out they have to go for 2 away games to get anyone to come to UCF for one home game.  Notice that UCF does not play UF, FSU, or Miami.  Those are their dream games....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Lower division? UCF is D-1 FBS just like the SEC. And ya know, this season AU has games against Alabama State and Akron. I concede that those aren't two-fer deals, but "lower division"? ASU is. Akron may as well be. Anyway, I think our players might enjoy the trip. But this deal is very unlikely to happen, and with schedules being set often years in advance, it likely wouldn't be anytime soon even if it did.

I meant to say lower conference, not division. American Athletic Conference is closer to the Sun Belt than it is to the SEC. 

Auburn would never schedule an away game at UL-Monroe, so why go to UCF? Cause our fired former coach is there? The idea doesn’t make any sense to me. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger

3 hours ago, fredst said:

It would be a scenario like when we Gus-ed up the bowl against UCF but exponentially worse. Only way we should ever play them is if we get forced to in another bowl scenario... then we should beat their f’ing brains out

This /endthread 

• Like 1

I think they'll be a fantastic program, I'd love to make that happen. I think they'd win this season...in a few seasons, IDK

Many P5 teams duck them, and I think it's in part bc they're a hard team to position, if you're the AD of a major program. They shouldn't be your marquee game, mainly bc they won't be hype enough nor will they really elevate your program's resources or status, and they're way way way too good to be that second OOC team you schedule

I hope if Auburn has a dead year they put them on the docket

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

Not disagreeing with your take in this as a whole but the stomping and whining is based on fans feeling Auburn didn't get their money's worth while Gus was on the sideline. It's not really about fulfilling the contract on Auburn's side as much as feeling our Happy Meal was missing the french fries. Everyone just wanted what they thought was paid for. You are right, Gus won't badmouth Auburn but he has zero reason to. 

I've always said that when Arkansas came calling and backed up the Brink's truck, I would have patted Gus on the back and thanked him for his time and hard work at Auburn.  Instead, the President and BOT decided that we had to prove that ours was bigger for some reason. To Gus's credit, wins over our rivals when they were both ranked #1  at the end of the season helped his cause, but nobody would have looked down on the program for simply insisting on a reasonable buyout.  Nothing we can do about that now, but carry on.  I do feel comfortable saying that the program, much to the surprise of some, is actually in a better place than it was when Gus rode back into town in 2012 from a talent perspective.  There is an article on AUC detailing the position rankings of recruits that made up the 2013 team vs the 2021 team.  The advantage actually belongs to 2021.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I have been waiting for years to not have to watch that man on our sidelines and in press conferences, a hard no.  Now pictures of him golfing at a charity event in Auburn, sure.

rumor around the coffee maker is you are just mad gus of that gus tat you got and you cannot afford a coverup   lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Risk/reward isn’t there. Easy no. 

well what would your hard no be?

if gus did want this and we refused then we are chicken right? everyone knows the media. and if we play them and we lose then we catch hell. some folks would love to play gus and kick his arse even tho i believe any auburn fan was offered the money gus was you guys would take it. you can lie about it all ya want. and this is not taling up for gus i am just pointing out how fickle some fans can be right? all schools have them. people should be mad at leath and not gus. love or hate gus he always wants to win. again, i got off the gus bus when he lied to gatewood and did not let him play when his parents came down. and i am pretty sure joey helped us get some decent recruits. he sure recruited hard for us. and even tho i know it was not personal it was just gus and his paranoia.

but what a bad look if the coach we ran off came back and beat us. am i right? my conclusion too many bad things could happen and only one good thing which is a win. but i lean towards having the game because i do not want to hear all the crap of being scared and all that nonsense.

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

not want to hear all the crap of being scared

We are scared but we always play a OOC power 5 opponent and UGA/Bama every year. I doubt majority of media members would say that . The only media  people who would want this is folks who want drama. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

We are scared but we always play a OOC power 5 opponent and UGA/Bama every year. I doubt majority of media members would say that . The only media  people who would want this is folks who want drama. 

i remember back in the day we would not play someone tho i forget who and we were chicken. it pissed me off. thus i have always liked the we will play anyone anywhere. and yes i know times change but i loved that anyone anytime. but for the record a lot of my replies have been  humorous in this thread. i guess i need more coffee.

Only if the 1 is in the Citrus Bowl and not their on campus stadium.  Treat the tickets like a neutral site game.  Central Florida has become a place where AU pulls recruits and playing there would help.  Maybe go to a HS where they have some big time recruits and upgrade their facilities "for practice" like the t-town cheaters do.  

• Like 1

I’d be fine with it but let’s wait a couple years. It would be a huge advantage for them if we played within next couple of years because Gus would know the roster so well. Maybe Gus even has some early success there and UCF would come into the game with some clout. I’d want to space out the games though cause having UCF as the marque out of conference game would be kind of a let down three years in a row. And having UCF and another power 5 matchup on top of our sec schedule is too much. 

But I’m all for playing most any team and we do owe them payback from the last meeting. 

9 minutes ago, gravejd said:

It would be a huge advantage for them if we played within next couple of years because Gus would know the roster so well.

If it wasn't an advantage for him while he was here, it wouldn't be an advantage for him there. Wish I was kidding even a little bit. (But also he won't know much about our roster at all starting in 2022.) 

15 minutes ago, gravejd said:

It would be a huge advantage for them if we played within next couple of years because Gus would know the roster so well.

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886gjzn3gun9ourchc7o3

That’s assuming he knows everyone’s strength and weaknesses. MW has determined that’s a lie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Auburn would never schedule an away game at UL-Monroe, so why go to UCF? 

I was thinking of recruiting...and a fun trip for the players. (Lots going on around Orlando.) Florida is full of talent. Good press and a high profile for our Tigers on a trip like that may help get AU into the heads of some recruits down that way. That said. I seriously doubt this game happens, much less a two-fer.