Fall Practice Observations and Videos

toddc

45 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Off to a good start. Commanding the offense well

Tonight I thought Bo looked very much like 2020. Like what I saw from Davis. It will likely be a long season.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

Seems Bo and TJ both led the 1st team to TDs. Bo's was a Shivers short TD run and TJ's was a pass

2 minutes ago, Builder said:

Tonight I thought Bo looked very much like 2020. Like what I saw from Davis. It will likely be a long season.

Hearing that doesn't bother me knowing that we have dudes behind him and a coach who is going to coach them all up and make it an honest competition.

• Like 4

So I have been reading this week and apparently in the scrimmage, Irvin is rolling with the 1s at G. What happened to Keondre Jones? I thought he was one of the better pieces on the OL last season? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Hearing that doesn't bother me knowing that we have dudes behind him and a coach who is going to coach them all up and make it an honest competition.

It's not like we have anyone truly established. Bo still being exactly the same isn't encouraging from a coaching standpoint... Or maybe he is just uncoachable

One of the guys on another site said that on Bo's second INT it was a miscommunication by the WR and he ran the wrong route, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Said likely picked either way as was double coverage. Take it for what it's worth.

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Without assuming it's bc the OL is a disaster... I'm pumped to hopefully have a pass rush and encouraging that JJ is playing with ll so quickly 

Sounds like OL was very much like 2020, too. 

I'm excited about the defense. We should be top tier in the conference this year.

Jarquez apparently held out of the scrimmage.

6 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Sounds like OL was very much like 2020, too

Not good, but I've been told we were fine on the OL by Mikey bc we took 0 transfers

Edited by W.E.D
  • Haha 2

The defense being nasty is always fun to watch, but you just can’t compete anymore without a good passing attack. This team would be great if it was 2003 and Tubs was coaching. But if we can’t find some protection and a decent passing attack, we are likely to just wear the defense out by the time we hit the meat of the schedule.

Hard to read too much into it. It's still early and the defense usually has the upper hand in scrimmages anyway.

Coaching staff will get it figured out, that's what these scrimmages are for.

• Like 2

Finley struggled a lot under pressure whereas Bo and DD did much better. DD was calm under pressure and stepped up when things broke down. They’re saying he’s got great football instincts oozing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Bo had a couple of 30 plus yard pass completions  which is a good sign.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheDob06 said:

Hard to read too much into it. It's still early and the defense usually has the upper hand in scrimmages anyway.

Coaching staff will get it figured out, that's what these scrimmages are for.

Exactly. Defense is supposed to win the early scrimmages. I remember hearing about scrimmages in 2010 how the Defense dominated.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, toddc said:

DD was calm under pressure and stepped up when things broke down. They’re saying he’s got great football instincts oozing.

Almost like being the kind of guy that dominates big time Texas ball to the point that other kids want to follow you to east central Alabama matters 

• Like 4

Bo is going to go through the touch part before getting better already said that. Learning a bunch of stuff on the fly.

• Like 2

the d is learning a knew d as well so you would think they might struggle but i am sure  they are keeping it simple.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Some just don't understand...or don't want to.

Some are workout heroes and some thrive under the lights.

6 minutes ago, toddc said:

Finley struggled a lot under pressure whereas Bo and DD did much better. DD was calm under pressure and stepped up when things broke down. They’re saying he’s got great football instincts oozing.

Just went back and watched his junior film. He looks awesome. I wonder where hes at film study,dissecting defenses wise since hes only a freshman. Either way Bobo and Harsin seem to be a great fit for him. Plus if we have a solid D to lean on and take pressure off him that would be great

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

the d is learning a knew d as well so you would think they might struggle but i am sure  they are keeping it simple.

In a scrimmage environment they will still have the upper hand. They have more time to figure out what theO is doing than the O has to figure out how to attack. Once the O fogures out how to attack each look at a glance theyll speed up and start performing better

Just now, W.E.D said:

12 minutes ago, toddc said:

Finley was at his worst last year when LSU's OL broke down and he faced a lot of pressure. Pretty understandable for a freshman QB, but probably his biggest learning curve 

39 minutes ago, Builder said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e21488676n6n0fw4b2b95q2g4

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, toddc said:

That's what he showed in the Spring game.

On 6/8/2021 at 12:06 PM, CodeRocket said:

I know a lot of people on this board are very high on Finley as the heir to or even replacement for Nix, but I still like D.Davis.

From what I saw in the spring game, he moves around in the pocket really well, was pretty accurate on deep throws, checked down quickly under heavy pressure, and when he did run, he was pretty dangerous. Showed a lot of poise for someone a few months out of high school. People say that spring games tell you nothing but I think the guy can play. Time will tell.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

At this point  I assume the Defense knows the plays, tendencies and weakness of the offensive players, etc.     D has a lot of advantages early.     

I never played on the line,  but I have always been told OL  need a lot of time to gel,  and we are just now picking who will be where.  In a couple weeks I expect it to come together on O.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, toddc said:

You don't say. Interesting

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Finley was at his worst last year when LSU's OL broke down and he faced a lot of pressure. Pretty understandable for a freshman QB, but probably his biggest learning curve 

Then that doesn't bode well for him with this team.

• Like 1