Fall Practice Observations and Videos

toddc

19 minutes ago, USATiger said:

Hell, if I'm ranking the QB's based on the video, it's Davis, Finley Nix.  I'm actually surprised at some of the responses. 

Can't believe I'm saying this but I agree. DD's pocket presence seems really good. Bo seems improved, but the first clip of the 11 v 11 that was semi live he got pressured and fell to the side with that incompletion. It was one play, and it was Bro Hamms fault for not even getting a hand on Pappoe, but Nix gotta stand in there. They should learn a lot tomorrow at the scrimmage, but Davis does look good, even though we're only seeing small clips. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I have been saying it. T.J. will end up starting by penn state IMO.

I agree. Thinking Nix past struggles show up on the road. Finley comes in and takes over.

Regardless, I honestly don't care who starts. Just please hit the open receivers on the deep routes. The overthrows make the blood pressure go way up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, USATiger said:

Hell, if I'm ranking the QB's based on the video, it's Davis, Finley Nix.  I'm actually surprised at some of the responses. 

Probably hard to rank em of just 1 play from Scrimmage and some drills, but one thing thst stood out was Finely's arm strength/release vs especially Davis. Davis release is slow and the ball takes a while to get it the receiver. 

Compare the two quick screens. Finely's ball was in the WR immediately. DD's seemed to kinda float and take forever, especially after watching Finley. 

Arm/Release observations... 

Elite TJ

Above Avg Bo

Below Avg DD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Interesting

I know, Texas kid so young u have to rep him. 

But look at those quick screens. How ever they are want to rank em. He has the weakest arm of scholarship QBs in our roster 

Just now, W.E.D said:

But look at those quick screens. How ever they are want to rank em. He has the weakest arm of scholarship QBs in our roster 

Interesting

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Interesting

K

Glad to have a conversation. Sorry I hurt your feelings 

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There is no reason to conversate with one that isn't equipped to have the discussion. 

https://qbhitlist.com/profile/dematrius-davis-tx/

"Dematrius' throws are made of high velocity and an accelerated arm motion. A strong armed QB who can let it rip anywhere on the field. " 

Maybe that looks like this vs HS kids, but throwing next to two college QBs, one with debatable arm strength on this board, is throwing slower, longer motion, and with less velocity 

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

"Dematrius' throws are made of high velocity and an accelerated arm motion. A strong armed QB who can let it rip anywhere on the field. " 

Maybe that looks like this vs HS kids, but throwing next to two college QBs, one with debatable arm strength on this board, is throwing slower, longer motion, and with less velocity 

Interesting

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Interesting

Yes, the video is wrong. Dee is just lazy in practice and only going through the motions while the other two are practicing hard. 

8 hours ago, DAG said:

I have been saying it. T.J. will end up starting by penn state IMO.

His arm and release look great. 

I'll be interested to see the split of time the first two games. Still think it's like 75/25 or maybe 60/40 with Bo being the starter. Maybe more 50/50 if it's 35-0 at half. 

Still think Bo is the starter going into PSU and he's got the 1st half to make or break his job. 

I'll be interested to hear how today's scrimmage goes. Excited for some real action/news

I think you all are reading a lot into a small amount of video.  Sometimes QB's don't put a lot of velocity on a short pass intentionally. High school receivers in particular tend to drop bullet screen passes.  My personal bias is always toward the one who can also pull it in and run, but I'm just happy we have 3 guys who look very capable.  I like Bo, but If Bo misses the passes he did last year, I have no doubt somebody else will get a chance.

• Like 2

Just now, Cardin Drake said:

My personal bias is always toward the one who can also pull it in and run

Idk, I prefer my QB to be a legit passers of being able to run 10x a game

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

His arm and release look great. 

I'll be interested to see the split of time the first two games. Still think it's like 75/25 or maybe 60/40 with Bo being the starter. Maybe more 50/50 if it's 35-0 at half. 

Still think Bo is the starter going into PSU and he's got the 1st half to make or break his job. 

I'll be interested to hear how today's scrimmage goes. Excited for some real action/news

I think information will still be a measured release by Harsin which is as it should be. His goal is to build the football team, not feed the fans at this point.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

I think information will still be a measured release by Harsin which is as it should be. His goal is to build the football team, not feed the fans at this point.

Agree, but things will leak. Players usually talk about the Scrimmage in interviews after. There will be some highlights from Auburn media hyping the program. 

It's going to be real news/football for the first time since April 

5 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

You think his performance against Akron and Alabama State will change their mind? 0% chance. 

We will see. If I am wrong I will be here. But if I am right I hope to see you around. 

• Like 1

I think Bo keeps his job this year. I predict his fundamentals are going to be improved enough to give him that extra step and make him an effective game manager. He may not have the sexiest arm on the team, but he brings in the experience of a 2 year starter who has played in big games against the big boys. That’s invaluable for a first year coach like Harsin in a brutal schedule. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think Bo keeps his job this year. I predict his fundamentals are going to be improved enough to give him that extra step and make him an effective game manager. He may not have the sexiest arm on the team, but he brings in the experience of a 2 year starter who has played in big games against the big boys. That’s invaluable for a first year coach like Harsin in a brutal schedule. 

I think he has more talent than being a game manager. He's essentially been thst the last two years. 

If he's a game manager only he'll lose his job @Penn State 

The biggest story is going to be the second Scrimmage, IMO. 

I think Bo is going to get most of the 1at team work today and TJ 2nd. If we hear reports of TJ lighting it on fire, Scrimmage 2 is gonna be interesting to hear who runs with the 1s.

Either way, I'm excited 

22 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I think he has more talent than being a game manager. He's essentially been thst the last two years. 

If he's a game manager only he'll lose his job @Penn State 

By game manager I mean that I don’t think they’re ever going to build the offensive scheme around him making tons of difficult throws and decisions. But at the same time, I’m thinking that you’re going to see him make a lot less boneheaded decisions. I just don’t see him being bad enough to warrant sitting him and bringing in another QB.