Pats cut Cam, name Mac Jones starter

TitanTiger

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

That's really stretching it to say he threw the ball extremely well.

Yes, he was strong again and could run the ball well when he had to, but his throwing was still inaccurate, and he still made poor mechanical throws at times. 

I watched his games last year, and yes he had a young and not great WRs, but he could not throw the deep ball accurately. 

He's a better QB when he has good TEs and RBs to throw to and a good slot WR.

TBH he was not a good fit in NE's offense with McDaniel. I do think he can still play well, but it has to be a certain offense.

I think the Texans with their problems with Watson would be a good chance for Cam to give it another shot...

The Pats invested a ton in free agency.  Last year they didn't have offensive power and a lot of players opted out. 

Now Jones gets the luxury of Damien Harris (he's good catching the ball out of the backfield) at RB + 2 TE's Jonnu Smith (a beast) + Hunter Henry to help him out.  It's a shame Cam won't get the chance to throw to those 3 players because they will make a QB look good. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DAG said:

I don't think vaccination was the main issue, more so, it was his play. He had not been playing good at all, if you looked at him throughout camp. Mac showed up to play, despite the hate he gets from this fanbase. Dude works hard and does the right things on and off the field. He was carrying himself as a leader on the field as well. Remember JS is on the squad too. 

Cam didn’t play badly at all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DAG said:

I don't think CAM had the job. I  I believe the patriots were doing everything possible to give Cam every opportunity. I don't think the patriots wanted Mac to start so early, but I do believe he would've eventually overcame Cam this season. If Cam had been playing lights out, even remotely decent, he would still be a patriot. Cam has been playing awful. Then you had the fact he missed some practices,  there really was no reason to keep him. So yes him missing contributing to him getting cut, but more so, he has been playing really bad, TBH. 

5 hours ago, DAG said:

That is my point. HE WASN'T A LOCK. For whatever reason, you think that. MAC was on his heels. The only thing Cam had over Mac was game experience. But when you aren't playing good and you aren't there, there is no reason for them to keep you. It is not like he is sidelined at the moment. 

You’re kinda in your own reality. Many thought Mac played better. Most thought it was just a matter of time and he was the future. But Cam was not playing badly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The thing about is even the owner knew they needed better offensive weapon. Cam was throwing to a bunch of mini me and the receiver Harry couldn’t catch a cold. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, keesler said:

The Pats invested a ton in free agency.  Last year they didn't have offensive power and a lot of players opted out. 

Now Jones gets the luxury of Damien Harris (he's good catching the ball out of the backfield) at RB + 2 TE's Jonnu Smith (a beast) + Hunter Henry to help him out.  It's a shame Cam won't get the chance to throw to those 3 players because they will make a QB look good. 

Myers is on the come up, too, imo. 

Just frustrating on several levels.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, e808 said:

The thing about is even the owner knew they needed better offensive weapon. Cam was throwing to a bunch of mini me and the receiver Harry couldn’t catch a cold. 

They spent 150 million on upgrades. Not to mention people started to come at Harry and Cam has been standing up for him time after time, empowering him. 

As a matter of fact you can't find Cam saying ANYTHING bad about anybody or blaming anybody......but you know character like that doesn't fit in with the pats! You need high quality guys not guys like cam

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Myers is on the come up, too, imo. 

Just frustrating on several levels.

Not to mention that running back they drafted that they love. They are deep at running back. Got better on the o line. Got high quality weapons at tight end. Mac will work with that and watch how people say see! Cam couldn't do that!

• Angry 1

4 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Looking at the NFL landscape right now in terms of starters, I only see three possibilities for him to land before the season starts:  Washington, Detroit and Houston.  And the latter two are dependent upon other things such as Goff being shaky with the Lions and Watson being traded from Houston.  Everyone else either has an established veteran starter or a recently drafted young guy they are still invested in.

Of course injuries can change the dynamic, but there aren't a lot of places right now that need Cam.

I could see Washington but I doubt he goes to a non-contender like Houston or Detroit. Indy would be another spot, but I think it is a poor fit. Not exactly a non-contender, but New Orleans is a possibility depending on how they truly view Winston. 

Another issue is it is going to be very hard to bring in a "starter" 1 week before the season kicks off. Im willing to bet we see more of him at AU this season unless Lamar or Murray gets hurt.

37 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Cam didn’t play badly at all.

True, not badly, but not good enough either to beat out Mac Jones who is the type of QB the OC Josh McDaniels fits better into his offense. 

They are looking to the future and think Jones is that future.

Cam did his best, was a good teammate. Now he gets to pick the team who calls him and fits him best...

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Not to mention that running back they drafted that they love. They are deep at running back. Got better on the o line. Got high quality weapons at tight end. Mac will work with that and watch how people say see! Cam couldn't do that!

Telling you bro. I am going to throw hands with my Pats fan brother in law over this. But really because of how this is going to make him show some true colors. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DAG said:

Bruh, you think miss a couple of practices cost him the job? LOL. He is a ten year vet. Thinking that is silly. Lamar jackson has been sidelined twice due to covid. Why isn't he getting cut?

Probably because he is younger, still playing at an elite level and does not have a first round guy lurking in the shadows. Cam blew it by making a poor choice at the wrong time. I think Mac was pushing him but BB was still solid with Cam, his poor choice probably made a close decision easier. Just my thoughts.

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

I agree. He was on pace to having his BEST season before he got hurt for the Panthers. Throwing the ball extremely well. Got hurt. He comes to the pats following a legend, put the team on his back without offensive weapons and major guys on defense sitting out. Throws the ball EXTREMELY well.  Showed he's still plenty good. Got covid so still drug himself out there and won a few games they shouldn't have. Took all the criticism as if it was his fault the o sucked.

Off season guys come back, upgrade offense, and ✌🏿 to him. And even people on a Auburn fan board are quick to say he's finished or he can't throw.....it's built in people's head to say he can't throw. No matter what he does they were going to say that about him no matter what.

i have thought this and so has a close friend who is a turd fan. we both agree that the officials were letting players t off on cam and i am not sure why. cam took a hell of whipping there for a couple of years. i was afraid they were going to end his career. i would love to know how the refs got away with it.

24 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

True, not badly, but not good enough either to beat out Mac Jones who is the type of QB the OC Josh McDaniels fits better into his offense. 

They are looking to the future and think Jones is that future.

Cam did his best, was a good teammate. Now he gets to pick the team who calls him and fits him best...

But I am in my own reality. No I am just not going to be a homer [yellow font]

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

You’re kinda in your own reality. Many thought Mac played better. Most thought it was just a matter of time and he was the future. But Cam was not playing badly.

I am willing to bet my reality is closer than yours. So we will see what team is going to pick him up to be the next starter. Because if he isn't playing as badly as you say, he shouldn't have a problem with that.

Edited by DAG

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Bruh, you think miss a couple of practices cost him the job? LOL. He is a ten year vet. Thinking that is silly. Lamar jackson has been sidelined twice due to covid. Why isn't he getting cut?

Because he’s still in his prime, not playing for Bellichick and not playing for a team that drafted a guy in the first round they were hoping to turn the reins over to.

Just now, TexasTiger said:

Because he’s still in his prime, not playing for Bellichick and not playing for a team that drafted a guy in the first round they were hoping to turn the reins over to.

But he is not in his prime. Once, people realize this, things will be a lot easier. You are letting your Auburn orange and blue affect your objectivity. You are looking at his completion rating and saying he didn't play badly, but I looked at every game with Cam last year because I am a huge cam fan. He is not the same player. After that shoulder injury, it truly diminished his throwing power. He is also getting older so it doesn't benefit him to be a ramming truck. He is still turnover prone when you can't afford to be this way in this offense. I believe Cam is going to have to switch his game and his mindset, if he is going to stay in this league (Just my opinion). 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am willing to bet my reality is closer than yours. So we will see what team is going to pick him up to be the next starter. Because if he isn't playing as badly as you say, he shouldn't have a problem with that.

A bit late. My point was he was playing well enough to start the season and let Mac ease into the starting job if Cam stumbled. I think Bellichick preferred to have less pressure on Mac than he has now, but also concluded it’s a reasonable risk and having Cam in the locker room as a back up would create awkwardness. Cam being unvaccinated and missing practice opened the door. Bellichick was hoping to walk thru that door when he drafted Mac, it was just a question of timing.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

But he is not in his prime. Once, people realize this, things will be a lot easier. You are letting your Auburn orange and blue affect your objectivity. You are looking at his completion rating and saying he didn't play badly, but I looked at every game with Cam last year because I am a huge cam fan. He is not the same player. After that shoulder injury, it truly diminished his throwing power. He is also getting older so it doesn't benefit him to be a ramming truck. He is still turnover prone when you can't afford to be this way in this offense. I believe Cam is going to have to switch his game and his mindset, if he is going to stay in this league (Just my opinion). 

I was referring to Lamar Jackson and what differentiates him. He’s still in his prime, Cam’s not.

Just now, TexasTiger said:

A bit late. My point was he was playing well enough to start the season and let Mac ease into the starting job if Cam stumbled. I think Bellichick preferred to have less pressure on Mac than he has now, but also concluded it’s a reasonable risk and having Cam in the locker room as a back up would create awkwardness. Cam being unvaccinated and missing practice opened the door. Bellichick was hoping to walk thru that door when he drafted Mac, it was just a question of timing.

By a very slim margin based on the reports. I agree that him missing that practice led to jones taking over, but if he had it on lock, him missing practice wouldn't have been nearly enough for a rookie QB to come in and taking the starting job.

4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I was referring to Lamar Jackson and what differentiates him. He’s still in his prime, Cam’s not.

Cam also wasn't playing at a level to justify  holding off Mac. Do you think if this happened to Aaron Rodgers they would play Jordan Love. It is more than just one thing.

Edited by DAG

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Cam also wasn't playing at a level to justify  holding off Mac. Do you think if this happened to Aaron Rodgers they would play Jordan Love. It is more than just one thing.

Cam was not playing well enough to firmly establish himself as the entrenched starter— but that was largely because Mac was playing so well. Cam’s days were numbered there. But he sped it up.

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Cam was not playing well enough to firmly establish himself as the entrenched starter— but that was largely because Mac was playing so well. Cam’s days were numbered there. But he sped it up.

So if that is the case then lets see where he lands, because there are a handful of teams such as the redskins who could use a starting QB.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

So if that is the case then lets see where he lands, because there are a handful of teams such as the redskins who could use a starting QB.

Possibly, but once again he’s in a crappy situation right before the season starts to learn a new system/teammates.