Thankful we got Harsin when we did

Zeek

24 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I would also take our absolute best coach ever again! But you’re not bad because you’re not that, and that stretch didn’t lead to multiple championship appearances/a championship yknow. If you preferred that stretch, then fine yknow 

‘83 is a robbery of a Championship from AUburn. As far as championship appearances, there weren’t championship games then. Again, 4 conference championships, numerous top 10-5 finishes, and VERY FEW let down/mind boggling, looking unprepared losses. I also don’t think anyone that was on the staff then would’ve said a 6-4 season is a “good season”. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's clearly a referendum on Gus Malzahn as head coach but if you want to go that route, the last ten years don't include 2010. They do include 2011, though, for those who like to credit offensive coordinators for a team's successes and, necessarily, failures.

Where are these technicalities getting you? 

I appreciate Gus for his high points. At the same time, I also recognize and acknowledge his deficiencies.

I am also hopeful for Harsin and his staff. I recognize and agree with some of the changes he has made. I am also aware that he still has to prove himself here. 

Not that anyone asked.

Now, carry on...

vBH6CeC.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

‘83 is a robbery of a Championship from AUburn. As far as championship appearances, there weren’t championship games then. Again, 4 conference championships, numerous top 10-5 finishes, and VERY FEW let down/mind boggling, looking unprepared losses. I also don’t think anyone that was on the staff then would’ve said a 6-4 season is a “good season”. 

All that said…2010s still featured a tangible, indubitable championship…one of the two the program possesses

23 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Where are these technicalities getting you? 

Huh? 

You said that prior generations of Auburn fans haven't had anything like what Gus delivered. I showed you exactly why that's wrong. Seems you are as invested in technicalities as anyone else in this conversation.

Also, nobody is disregarding the good things that he did. They just don't forgive all the bad things for most fans like they do for you. It's a shame that a certain group of fans always has to misrepresent the conversation that way.

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You said that prior generations of Auburn fans haven't had anything like what Gus delivered. I showed you exactly why that's wrong. Seems you are as invested in technicalities as anyone else in this conversation.

No I didn't 🤣🤣🤣 You can actually find what I said in the preceding page and you make this nonsense up. I have said multiple times I was talking about the "2010s" and explicitly mentioned the "2010s" at least three different times. I never once said the "last 10 years". If I agree with a post and explicitly mention the part of the post I cared to discuss about, why would you insert lies? It's a shame that you'd misrepresent the conversation that way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

He didn't destroy the '10 national championship, which certainly wouldn't have happened without Gus. There are plenty of other huge wins that will be in the record book forever. Those things cannot be destroyed.

Bruh he wasn't the head coach then.

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Who are these people?  I honestly haven't seen any of them outside my Mickey who def seems like he's a huge Gus, but not necessarily rooting against Harsin.  Just curious, not challenging

That's because they don't exist. There's a few guys who've had the wait and see approach with Harsin and don't immediately call Gus a plague, and a certain group of people seem to kick the (metaphorical) desk like Jimmy McNulty that others are able to be level headed about both coaches lol 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’ll take the most frustrating if it results in some of the highs we had 

What’s the last generation of Auburn fans who had it that well?

The one that came of age around 1982 (my brother)...won a NC in 83 (NYT, but still) and won three straight SEC titles from 87-89, then undefeated in 93, etc.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

the vehement pursuit to disregard anything positive Gus has done is way more prevalent on here than the supposed Harsin haters

I don't think the "Harsin haters" are so much of a thing, but there are enough people still defending Gus that it tends to get those who are glad he's gone up in arms.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Who are these people?  I honestly haven't seen any of them outside my Mickey who def seems like he's a huge Gus, but not necessarily rooting against Harsin.  Just curious, not challenging

They know who they are . I don’t need to give them life. That is absolutely what they want . So I will pass. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Huh? 

Also, nobody is disregarding the good things that he did. They just don't forgive all the bad things for most fans like they do for you. It's a shame that a certain group of fans always has to misrepresent the conversation that way.

You are wasting your time with buddy. Good for you fighting the good fight. This is the same dude who tried to argue with me about how Bret Beliema is a quality coach because what he did at Wisconsin. That should tell you all you need to know .

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That's because they don't exist. There's a few guys who've had the wait and see approach with Harsin and don't immediately call Gus a plague, and a certain group of people seem to kick the (metaphorical) desk like Jimmy McNulty that others are able to be level headed about both coaches lol 

I really like the Harsin hire, was a little skeptical on a few of the coaches that were hired.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

You are wasting your time with buddy. Good for you fighting the good fight. This is the same dude who tried to argue with me about how Bret Beliema is a quality coach because what he did at Wisconsin. That should tell you all you need to know .

Seeing that now. Gonna post one more time about it and shut it down. 

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

LMAO.

Mikey is the most obvious one, but there are others like aucanucktiger, AUWent, etc. You're up there too, but not as blatant as the others.

They are extremely easy to pick out because they can't hide their posting well at all. The tone just seeps through uncontrollably. When Malzahn was the HC, they had no problem coming into threads in his 8th season as the HC here and finding excuses as to why we'd lose to a team like South Carolina, or come out looking like we had no gameplan whatsoever. Under Harsin, you see these same people giving backhanded compliments, or all of a sudden showing "tough love" that I never once saw from any of them during Malzahn's entire tenure which featured MANY failures. And here's the kicker: Harsin hasn't even failed yet - we're 2-0, and we're 2-0 in dominating fashion. But again, you'd have to literally pull these same people's teeth to get them to admit a mistake that Malzahn made over and over and over again.

The post that I quoted by aucanucktiger on the first page is a perfect example. He's being snarky all of a sudden because people are excited that despite playing two cupcakes, we won in the fashion that a much stronger and well coached team SHOULD win by. But if Gus Malzahn was still the HC, he'd have NO ISSUE being happier than a pig in s*** if we were 2-0 with those victories coming to the tune of 60-10 and 62-0 (you'd probably hear all about Malzahn's offensive genius). But because it's not Malzahn, he can't help himself from trying to rain on everyone's parade - because everything on the field so far has shown that the Malzahn to Harsin switch has been a godsend.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

They did have it very good yep 

Honestly, 04-06 was a pretty good stretch, too, and 07 wasn't bad. Gus, as a head coach, brought us one SEC Championship and another West title. The only coach since Barfield not to do that is Bowden, and he went undefeated in his first year, much as Malzahn went to the national title game.

I mean, in my lifetime, there hasn't been a particularly long stretch where we didn't have some success. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

It seems that all of you have let the fog of time block '84-'85 from your collective memories. Those were NOT good years, particularly the way they ended the regular season. Then there were periods of complete offensive ineptitude under CPD. Yeah, it was a "different era", but there were plenty of games we should have won, but didn't because we couldn't get the O to produce points. I give you the Earthquake Game as Exhibit 1. Score once more in that game, and there is no earthquake. CPD also had more than enough talent to have blasted Syracuse, but we had to settle for the tie. 

The Dye years were my years on the Plains, and I remember much about CPD fondly, and he had a good run bracketed by bad years in the middle and the end, but while he might have been better than Gus overall, it wasn't by light years the way some people tend to remember it. 

In my view of our modern coaches, it's CPD>Shug>Gus/CTT>Tater Rot>Barfield. We'll see where CBH lands in that order. 

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, au302 said:

It seems like a lot of people are just wanting Harsin to fail. 

Who?

Edited by Proud Tiger

2 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

In my view of our modern coaches, it's CPD>Shug>Gus/CTT>Tater Rot>Barfield. We'll see where CBH lands in that order. 

Chizik? I mean, he's the one that actually won a title. And we only had to suffer through 2 more years of him. And he left Gus with a ton of talent. All in all the Chizik experience was vastly superior to the Gus experience. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

It seems that all of you have let the fog of time block '84-'85 from your collective memories. Those were NOT good years, particularly the way they ended the regular season. Then there were periods of complete offensive ineptitude under CPD. Yeah, it was a "different era", but there were plenty of games we should have won, but didn't because we couldn't get the O to produce points. I give you the Earthquake Game as Exhibit 1. Score once more in that game, and there is no earthquake. CPD also had more than enough talent to have blasted Syracuse, but we had to settle for the tie. 

The Dye years were my years on the Plains, and I remember much about CPD fondly, and he had a good run bracketed by bad years in the middle and the end, but while he might have been better than Gus overall, it wasn't by light years the way some people tend to remember it. 

Are you giving Malzahn credit for 2010, or just leaving Chizik out because of the brevity of his tenure?