Thankful we got Harsin when we did

Zeek

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I just haven't seen him do anything football related wrong yet so I don't have a reason to bet against him.

THIS RIGHT HERE WAS THE WHOLE POINT OF MY ORIGINAL POST. Yet, we got people doing mental gymnastics trying to figure out what I was saying. If you not going to like the guy, give valid reasons besides, he is from Boise or he never coached in a power 5 conference. Some of these people been against him from the jump just because they have some weird loyalty and obsession with the past HC.

• Like 3

On 9/15/2021 at 2:41 PM, AU9377 said:

And you define games like this as primarily losses to bama with a couple uga losses thrown in.  NOBODY is apologizing for anyone. A game like this is an out of conference game early in the season against a ranked opponent.  Nobody was more frustrated with Gus than I was during the Clemson rotating twirly world qb game.  Nonetheless, it is less than honest to characterize this type game as one usually lost by 17 points.

We all want Harsin to win big.  That doesn't mean that we have to pretend that the past decade has been the worst in Auburn football history, when the facts paint a very different picture.

Great post

19 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That doesn't mean that we have to pretend that the past decade has been the worst in Auburn football history,

Just the most frustrating

• Like 2
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, DAG said:

THIS RIGHT HERE WAS THE WHOLE POINT OF MY ORIGINAL POST. Yet, we got people doing mental gymnastics trying to figure out what I was saying. If you not going to like the guy, give valid reasons besides, he is from Boise or he never coached in a power 5 conference. Some of these people been against him from the jump just because they have some weird loyalty and obsession with the past HC.

I agree 100%. There's no reason to not be pulling for this guy right now. His foundation so far has been impeccable, we'll learn more when we have some adversity but if you're not behind this guy right now your slip is showing

• Like 5

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Just the most frustrating

image.gif.058fba14facf0d03bfdb8cc29cb6a056.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, DAG said:

. Some of these people been against him from the jump just because they have some weird loyalty and obsession with the past HC.

Who are these people?  I honestly haven't seen any of them outside my Mickey who def seems like he's a huge Gus, but not necessarily rooting against Harsin.  Just curious, not challenging

On 9/14/2021 at 8:08 AM, metafour said:

Post upvoted by AUwent, the other blatant Gus altar-boy who is just fuming that we haven't "turned into Tennessee" after letting the last guy go

I think we're all hoping for the best out of Harsin & co.

As far as turning into the next Tennessee, the jury will be out on that for three or four more years. Just look at Florida: They thought they had the answer in SEC coach of the year Will Muschamp, then two years later Muschamp was fired. Then they thought they had the answer in SEC coach of the year Jim McElwain but two years later McElwain was fired. It takes time for these things to reach their level.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Who are these people?  I honestly haven't seen any of them outside my Mickey who def seems like he's a huge Gus, but not necessarily rooting against Harsin.  Just curious, not challenging

I haven't seen anybody rooting against Harsin either. I'm certainly pulling for him. Apparently some people lack the intellect to understand that one can appreciate Gus's contributions and still hope that Harsin does better.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’ll take the most frustrating if it results in some of the highs we had 

What’s the last generation of Auburn fans who had it that well?

I’d take from about 82-89 again. To go with the couple years around those to make the decade. 

Edited by aubearcat
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’ll take the most frustrating if it results in some of the highs we had 

What’s the last generation of Auburn fans who had it that well?

Fans in 2010 got an undefeated season, a national championship, and a Heisman for the greatest single season of any college player in history.

Fans in the Aughts got an undefeated season, several huge wins over top-10 and even top-5 teams, and the best 3-year record in the country from 04-06.

Fans in the 90s got an undefeated season and several huge wins over top-10 and even top-5 teams.

Fans in the 80s saw a team win a national championship that was not awareded, a Heisman for the greatest athlete in American history, an Outland and Lombardi winner, and the first Iron Bowl ever played in JHS. They named the field after that guy. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I’d take from about 82-89 again. To go with the couple years around those to make the decade. 

In this span: 4 conference titles, Bo Jackson, national title aspirations and for all purposes should’ve been national champions in ‘83. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

understand that one can appreciate Gus's contributions

I don't think there is anything here that he didn't destroy by the end of his time here

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I don't think there is anything here that he didn't destroy by the end of his time here

He didn't destroy the '10 national championship, which certainly wouldn't have happened without Gus. There are plenty of other huge wins that will be in the record book forever. Those things cannot be destroyed.

• Like 3

It seems like a lot of people are just assuming that and wanting Harsin to fail. Granted, a lot of it is created and spread by the media, with other fanbases eating it up. However, a lot of our own are also buying into it. So far, I've heard, "he's a horrible fit down there", "Bret Bilemna 2.0", "failed leader", "mid-major head coach", etc. At least let him lose before disliking him lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

I would also take our absolute best coach ever again! But you’re not bad because you’re not that, and that stretch didn’t lead to multiple championship appearances/a championship yknow. If you preferred that stretch, then fine yknow 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Fans in 2010 got an undefeated season, a national championship, and a Heisman for the greatest single season of any college player in history.

Fans in the Aughts got an undefeated season, several huge wins over top-10 and even top-5 teams, and the best 3-year record in the country from 04-06.

Fans in the 90s got an undefeated season and several huge wins over top-10 and even top-5 teams.

Fans in the 80s saw a team win a national championship that was not awareded, a Heisman for the greatest athlete in American history, an Outland and Lombardi winner, and the first Iron Bowl ever played in JHS. They named the field after that guy. 

So fans in the 10s got a championship, Cam Newton, Nick Marshall, the Hail Mary and the Kick Six 

I’m going with the 10s 

If it just stopped on championship, I’d probably still go 10s, but everything else is just overkill 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

So fans in the 10s got a championship, Cam Newton, Nick Marshall, the Hail Mary and the Kick Six 

I’m going with the 10s 

Gus wasn't the head coach in 2010. 

Being able to have a legitimate argument that the 2010s was the greatest decade for Auburn football is just so sad. 

I think the 80s were the best decade for AU football btw. The only time in our history we were consistently good.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gus wasn't the head coach in 2010. 

That doesn't mean that we have to pretend that the past decade has been the worst in Auburn football history, when the facts paint a very different picture.”

Original post that was made 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I think we're all hoping for the best out of Harsin & co.

As far as turning into the next Tennessee, the jury will be out on that for three or four more years. Just look at Florida: They thought they had the answer in SEC coach of the year Will Muschamp, then two years later Muschamp was fired. Then they thought they had the answer in SEC coach of the year Jim McElwain but two years later McElwain was fired. It takes time for these things to reach their level.

You know, you don't have to keep repeating this -- for God's sake, please not for the next 3-4 years.  It was dumb the 1st time you said it, and it hasn't changed since then.  AU got the coach they wanted & needed.  He's made some outstanding asst coaching hires who can both recruit & develop players.  He's changed the culture immensely from strength/conditioning to work ethic/attitude and general football IQ.  The future looks bright already.  All true AU fans can see & sense that.  We don't have to wait "3-4 years" for the jury to deliver a verdict.  Get on board ... now.  WDE

Edited by AUloggerhead
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

Being able to have a legitimate argument that the 2010s was the greatest decade for Auburn football is just so sad. 

I think the 80s were the best decade for AU football btw. The only time in our history we were consistently good.

A heisman, two national championship appearances, 3 conference championship appearances and other finalists would be the best decade for 99% of programs lol 

• Like 1

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

A heisman, two national championship appearances, 3 conference championship appearances and other finalists would be the best decade for 99% of programs lol 

It does look amazing when you only call out the good things. We also had maybe the worst AU football team ever in that decade. Been a crazy ride, no doubt!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That doesn't mean that we have to pretend that the past decade has been the worst in Auburn football history, when the facts paint a very different picture.”

Original post that was made 

It's clearly a referendum on Gus Malzahn as head coach but if you want to go that route, the last ten years don't include 2010. They do include 2011, though, for those who like to credit offensive coordinators for a team's successes and, necessarily, failures.