Thankful we got Harsin when we did

Zeek

On 9/13/2021 at 5:32 PM, Zeek said:

My understanding is mister fresh water leaves places in a pretty crappy way. Think they'll aim for an outside guy sort of approach. 

Yeah he typically torches the bridges as he leaves town.

28 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm curious how many coaches or teams that win consistently don't recruit well?

None.

Boise dominated their conference in recruiting. #1 class in the conference year in year out under Harsin and Petersen. Harsin won't dominate the SEC but I fully believe he'll recruit better than we've seen before. I think he'll match Chizik's and Malzahn's best rankings but also land balanced classes with quality kids.  

It's just crazy that we've never hired a coach with this kind of pedigree before other than maybe Tuberville but we've still had as much success as we've had. Now we've got an honest to goodness accomplished football coach who's still plenty young and hungry. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

None.

Boise dominated their conference in recruiting. #1 class in the conference year in year out under Harsin and Petersen. Harsin won't dominate the SEC but I fully believe he'll recruit better than we've seen before. I think he'll match Chizik's and Malzahn's best rankings but also land balanced classes with quality kids.  

It's just crazy that we've never hired a coach with this kind of pedigree before other than maybe Tuberville but we've still had as much success as we've had. Now we've got an honest to goodness accomplished football coach who's still plenty young and hungry. 

It's just funny to me how many people talk can he recruit as if there are a bunch of examples of coaches that are very good that win but can't get players.....If you win more often than not and show that you are a good coach you'll recruit well......that's it.

Recruits aren't stupid it's either you can show me how to get to the NFL and prepare me or you win, and I'll play. The best situation is all the above.

Sometimes it seems like people don't think the recruits have brains. Recruiting isn't hard. It's hard if you're at a small school without any rep or tradition but at a school like ours? The hard part is scouting the right players

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

None.

I think the fact that Harsin is now in a power conference as a HC for the first time, it's too early to tell about his recruiting. Outside of his Boise guys he brought with him, he really doesn't know how these guys will recruit for Auburn, especially surrounded by recruiting juggernauts like Saban, Smart, etc...

I do like his approach so far, but we will have to win a lot of top level guys over the next few years before we can feel good about his recruiting ability.

And I agree, he definitely comes across as young and hungry. I like it so far...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I think the fact that Harsin is now in a power conference as a HC for the first time, it's too early to tell about his recruiting. Outside of his Boise guys he brought with him, he really doesn't know how these guys will recruit for Auburn, especially surrounded by recruiting juggernauts like Saban, Smart, etc...

I do like his approach so far, but we will have to win a lot of top level guys over the next few years before we can feel good about his recruiting ability.

And I agree, he definitely comes across as young and hungry. I like it so far...

I hear you, but see Cole's response above. As he alluded to, the only word that *really* matters in this conversation is "Auburn". No matter how small we may think we are compared to bama, uga and, to a lesser extent, LSU, we are sexy, sexy destination for recruits. We're a top 15 program by any measure, including- again as @cole256 pointed out- most active NFL players. We will recruit at a high level just by being Auburn. 

But you're looking for elite, championship level recruiting. And that's not technically a given. But we can enjoy a little informed optimism. Look at what he did relative to his competition up there, and look at his resume relative to previous Auburn coaches that recruited at a high level. It makes a lot more sense to me that he will be a great recruiter than he won't. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I have zero concerns about this but it's a fair point to bring up until he proves it.

By the way, I don't think he'll prove it to everyone in the 2022 cycle. We'll have a fine class but I don't think we start talking about >= top 7 classes until 2023. After that, I'll expect them consistently and I'll expect us to flirt with top 5 at least every other year. I truly believe that should be our expectation for this program.

Need top 20 this year, top 12 next year and top 10 each year after.

Edited by AUwent

22 hours ago, AU9377 said:

The man had just engineered the biggest turn around in major college football history.  A team that had been curb stomped a year earlier looked completely different.

For one season. Your point?

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I think Northwestern might fall into that category.  TCU?

Edited by abw0004

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I see where you are going with this but others clearly won’t 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I think Northwestern might fall into that category.  TCU?

Those schools are looked to be inferior as far as their schools. We aren't like that, well we weren't but we have made ourselves look pretty bad here lately but nothing close to your examples. 

My point is if we show we play a good brand of ball we'll recruit well easy. It won't be this coach don't have the right connections so nobody will play for him.

Hell we actually ruined most of our Alabama connections with Gus if we really wanted to go in depth about it, so it really doesn't make sense for guys who were fine with Gus saying they worry about Harsin recruiting. I'd bet my bottom dollar Harsin wouldn't go years without recruiting o line

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Those schools are looked to be inferior as far as their schools. We aren't like that, well we weren't but we have made ourselves look pretty bad here lately but nothing close to your examples. 

My point is if we show we play a good brand of ball we'll recruit well easy. It won't be this coach don't have the right connections so nobody will play for him.

Hell we actually ruined most of our Alabama connections with Gus if we really wanted to go in depth about it, so it really doesn't make sense for guys who were fine with Gus saying they worry about Harsin recruiting. I'd bet my bottom dollar Harsin wouldn't go years without recruiting o line

Ah I guess this is my fault.  I have been so busy with work I only read the last page of threads and didn't see your conversation before that.  I was just looking at your post by itself and tried to think of programs that have not recruited well, but developed well enough to put respected teams on the field.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I hear you, but see Cole's response above. As he alluded to, the only word that *really* matters in this conversation is "Auburn". No matter how small we may think we are compared to bama, uga and, to a lesser extent, LSU, we are sexy, sexy destination for recruits. We're a top 15 program by any measure, including- again as @cole256 pointed out- most active NFL players. We will recruit at a high level just by being Auburn. 

But you're looking for elite, championship level recruiting. And that's not technically a given. But we can enjoy a little informed optimism. Look at what he did relative to his competition up there, and look at his resume relative to previous Auburn coaches that recruited at a high level. It makes a lot more sense to me that he will be a great recruiter than he won't. 

Harsin, definitely gives the impression that he doesn't cut corners, and will work as hard as necessary to recruit well enough to beat the best teams on a competitive, consistent level. If not, he also seems like the guy that will make the changes necessary to make any holes in recruiting better. That's all we can ask for...bc the past coach seemed to find different gaps, or simply left holes in a key recruiting group(i.e. OL).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

Virtually none.  Ever team that wins a natty is consistently in the top 4.  Every team that gets into the playoffs is consistently in the top 10.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Virtually none.  Ever team that wins a natty is consistently in the top 4.  Every team that gets into the playoffs is consistently in the top 10.

At least in recent history anyway.

11 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

At least in recent history anyway.

Teams that win it without superior consistent recruiting have transcendent players.  See Cam Newton/Fairley and nearly Nick Marshall 

Edited by W.E.D

Harsin has a history of finding diamonds in the rough cc: Zach Wilson, Trey Lance and now Jarquez Hunter. Not saying we can win championships with a bunch of three stars but I’m confident that we’re actually scouting and developing players much better than the previous staff. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Harsin has a history of finding diamonds in the rough cc: Zach Wilson, Trey Lance and now Jarquez Hunter. Not saying we can win championships with a bunch of three stars but I’m confident that we’re actually scouting and developing players much better than the previous staff. 

Definitely scouting. Hoping for the development part, but seems like his “process “ is intent on the development part.

24 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Explain the trey lance to me please

Harsin was one of the only FBS coaches to offer him (and Wilson). Not a development thing but definitely an evaluation thing. (Kellen Moore was a development thing.)

I think Holden Geriner could be a really, really important recruit for us. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Harsin was one of the only FBS coaches to offer him (and Wilson). Not a development thing but definitely an evaluation thing. (Kellen Moore was a development thing.)

But did he offer at QB? I followed Lance during the draft process and I thought he said nobody offered him at QB so that's why he went to where he went. He said the other schools offered him at safety

Edited by cole256

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nevermind I found it, they offered trey at the last minute, literally the day before it's time to commit, when Wilson decommitted. I mean they offered but under the circumstances I don't know if I'd credit anybody for Trey besides North Dakota. But he definitely saw something in Wilson

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Nevermind I found it, they offered trey at the last minute, literally the day before it's time to commit, when Wilson decommitted. I mean they offered but under the circumstances I don't know if I'd credit anybody for Trey besides North Dakota. But he definitely saw something in Wilson

True, but they had to go searching after Wilson decommitted in December of that recruiting cycle after being committed for a long time. Lance was their next guy. 

I personally can't ignore that he offered two first rounders that almost nobody else did in one cycle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

True, but they had to go searching after Wilson decommitted in December of that recruiting cycle after being committed for a long time. Lance was their next guy. 

I personally can't ignore that he offered two first rounders that almost nobody else did in one cycle.

Yes it's nice that he was on their board but like you said they were scrambling after a guy decommited, days before signing. Everybody else is already committed if you are going to go for somebody go after a guy who may want to play D1 ball. 

I can't give him he scouted him and saw something in him that nobody else saw and he saw a diamond, if he saw all of that he would've been recruiting him. Of course that's just my opinion but to use that to say Harsin has an eye that others don't..doesn't really seem right to give him credit for Lance when really he missed too.

Seems like the only guy that really saw Lance for what he was was the coach for North Dakota. Similar story to Steph curry going to Davidson and Virginia tech and North Carolina would've let him on their team but Davidson's coach actually saw someone special. But that's just me.

I think it's apparent that Harsin is great at identifying talent, at schools like that you have to be, it will be interesting to see how he does when he has a much bigger reach now. Now he 'll have to sort through a bunch more guys. I just haven't seen him do anything football related wrong yet so I don't have a reason to bet against him.

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1