Thankful we got Harsin when we did

Zeek

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

The MODs did a job zapping the Penn State guys, but I truly wish they would get rid of a couple posters clearly agitated by the hiring of CBH. IMO, they are worse than the Penn State guys. 

Thank you for not top quoting them. That means that my mute button works!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, W.E.D said:

One of the best Chris Berman Sports Center names ever...Eric Sleeping With Bieniemy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2021 at 8:55 AM, woodford said:

We would lose by 17 this weekend if Gustavo was still in charge 

I'm fine with change, but history doesn't suggest that your statement would be accurate.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 1:01 PM, Viper said:

Agreed. 

After the 2013 IB, he told the players in the locker room that “Gus had one of the greatest f’n minds” and that “he worked y’alls azzes into shape.”

Love Bo, but yes, stay away from coaching searches. 

The man had just engineered the biggest turn around in major college football history.  A team that had been curb stomped a year earlier looked completely different.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 10:06 AM, McLoofus said:

Yup. I've still got 2023 circled as the year when we'll have a better idea of which kind Harsin really is.

But damn if he hasn't already shown that he's more capable of and committed to building sustainable success than the last guy. 

I  hope you are right, but in all seriousness, how has he done that exactly? 

5 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I'm fine with change, but history doesn't suggest that your statement would be accurate.

You're right. That estimate is almost half a point high!

Still, its last win against a top-10 team in a true road game was back in 2014, when the Tigers outlasted No. 7 Ole Miss 35-31.

Since, Auburn has lost nine straight such matchups. Here are those games.

2014: No. 15 Auburn at No. 2 Alabama

Score: 55-44 Alabama

2016: No. 13 Auburn at No. 1 Alabama

Score: 30-12 Alabama

2017: No. 13 Auburn at No. 3 Clemson

Score: 14-6 Clemson

2018: Auburn at No. 5 Georgia

Score: 27-10 Georgia

2018: Auburn at No. 1 Alabama

Score: 52-21 Alabama

2019: No. 7 Auburn at No. 10 Florida

Score: 24-13 Florida

2019: No. 9 Auburn at No. 2 LSU

Score: 23-20 LSU

2020: No. 7 Auburn at No. 4 Georgia

Score: 27-6 Georgia

2020: No. 22 Auburn at No. 1 Alabama

Score: 42-13 Alabama

Gus Bus still limping along on the rims. 

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, DAG said:

The MODs did a job zapping the Penn State guys, but I truly wish they would get rid of a couple posters clearly agitated by the hiring of CBH. IMO, they are worse than the Penn State guys. 

Do you sign onto a message board to simply be stroked and told that you are right all the time?  Doing something that mind numbingly stupid would be pathetic and lead to the irrelevance of any message board.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I  hope you are right, but in all seriousness, how has he done that exactly? 

Pretty much every decision he's made except one big one that isn't technically football related. And I'm not kidding. It's too much to list. But I'll start with expanding our off field recruiting staff and letting his backup QB run real plays in real games.

I mean, just compare their pedigrees and apply logic. 

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You're right. That estimate is almost half a point high!

Gus Bus still limping along on the rims. 

I just prefer facts over hyperbole.... you leave out games like...

No. 6 Washington, No. 11 Oregon, Louisville and No. 20 Kansas State... Even No. 2 Clemson was a 6 point loss and No. 3 Clemson was an 8 point loss.  All those games were similar to this PSU game.  Early season out of conference contests against ranked opponents.

The bama games happened, but they were in no way similar to the game on schedule for Saturday.

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I just prefer facts over hyperbole.... you leave out games like...

No. 6 Washington, No. 11 Oregon, Louisville and No. 20 Kansas State... Even No. 2 Clemson was a 6 point loss and No. 3 Clemson was an 8 point loss.  All those games were similar to this PSU game.  Early season out of conference contests against ranked opponents.

The bama games happened, but they were in no way similar to the game on schedule for Saturday.

Those were all true road games against top 10 opponents? Huh. 

That 8 point loss to Clemson? We put up 117 yards of total offense in that game. It was the single worst job of offensive game planning I've ever seen, which is shocking given how badly Gus coached the previous Clemson matchup. Of course, you might not have seen the problem with the CoxCat. 

How are the bama games- road games against a top 10 opponent- in no way similar? What does that even mean?

The fact is dude said that Gus typically lost games like this by 17 points, which you refuted. The exact number is 16.56 points on average so you should really just take the L and keep walking.

Lordy, why do you folks still do this to yourselves?? You don't have to apologize for him anymore. Is it because we're still paying him $7 million a year? I'd think it would work the other way but hey, that would only be like the 159th weirdest thing of the last couple years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Those were all true road games against top 10 opponents? Huh. 

That 8 point loss to Clemson? We put up 117 yards of total offense in that game. It was the single worst job of offensive game planning I've ever seen, which is shocking given how badly Gus coached the previous Clemson matchup. Of course, you might not have seen the problem with the CoxCat. 

How are the bama games- road games against a top 10 opponent- in no way similar? What does that even mean?

The fact is dude said that Gus typically lost games like this by 17 points, which you refuted. The exact number is 16.56 points on average so you should really just take the L and keep walking.

Lordy, why do you folks still do this to yourselves?? You don't have to apologize for him anymore. Is it because we're still paying him $7 million a year? I'd think it would work the other way but hey, that would only be like the 159th weirdest thing of the last couple years.

And you define games like this as primarily losses to bama with a couple uga losses thrown in.  NOBODY is apologizing for anyone. A game like this is an out of conference game early in the season against a ranked opponent.  Nobody was more frustrated with Gus than I was during the Clemson rotating twirly world qb game.  Nonetheless, it is less than honest to characterize this type game as one usually lost by 17 points.

We all want Harsin to win big.  That doesn't mean that we have to pretend that the past decade has been the worst in Auburn football history, when the facts paint a very different picture.

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Thank you for not top quoting them. That means that my mute button works!

Of course. I never quote them. They out themselves by responding. What a pathetic bunch. The Gus fringe, while the rest  of us are rooting like hell for CBH and the team to represent for Auburn.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

And you define games like this as primarily losses to bama with a couple uga losses thrown in.  NOBODY is apologizing for anyone. A game like this is an out of conference game early in the season against a ranked opponent.

Nope. Those were all of our true road games against top 10 opponents- which is what this game is- going back to October 2014. A consistent pattern over 6+ seasons. If you want to bring up Ole Miss that season and TAMU the year before, go ahead. But I personally don't think it helps your case to point out that Gus's best days were his first days and that he never really did anything impressive on the road after that. 

Also, those bama and uga losses were much more similar to this than Kansas State (lol) or "neutral site" games (heavy emphasis on scare quotes in a couple cases). But if you want to pull in other classifications of road games and neutral site games- including bowl games and the 2017 SECCG- by all means, we can do that and you can decide if it really paints a different picture of Gus. For whom you are most definitely apologizing again. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Of course. I never quote them. They out themselves by responding. What a pathetic bunch. The Gus fringe, while the rest  of us are rooting like hell for CBH and the team to represent for Auburn.

Yeah. I forgot to take my own medicine. Stay strong, my dude.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

NOBODY is pulling against CBH or the team. Suggesting that is just as childish as someone actually doing it.

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 2

Just now, AUwent said:

Ok fine. So 9-4 this year shouldn’t be unreasonable?

I'm not obsessed with win requirements right now. 9 wins would be excellent and I'm starting to think it will happen. But less than 9 does not mean Harsin is the wrong guy for the job. 

We need to have a little patience. You were bailing on Harsin before the season began. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It’s too early to say for sure.   Like others have already mentioned, after the 2013 season most of us thought Gus was gonna be a great coach!    I think some of us learned our lesson, and have a more reasonable approach to these things.   With all that said, CBH so far has checked the boxes I was looking for.   There are a lot of top notch coaching minds employed at AU right now. Hard work, 1v1s, solid planning and play calling that isnt so predictable, among many more…..   The biggest concern I have right now is how long will it take him to bring in top level talent?  So far, that seems to be the one area (and it’s a really important one) that we’re lacking in so far under Harsin.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

I'm not obsessed with win requirements right now. 9 wins would be excellent and I'm starting to think it will happen. But less than 9 does not mean Harsin is the wrong guy for the job. 

We need to have a little patience. You were bailing on Harsin before the season began. 

True.  saban’s first season at bama was 6-7, and the cupboard wasn’t full, but wasn’t bare either.    It took Dabo about 5 years to get to where they wanted to be.   It’s not about wins and losses as much as it is finding a coach with a great plan for your program, and the ability to teach and motivate players to accomplish that plan.   

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, AUpreacherman22 said:

True.  saban’s first season at bama was 6-7, and the cupboard wasn’t full, but wasn’t bare either.    It took Dabo about 5 years to get to where they wanted to be.   It’s not about wins and losses as much as it is finding a coach with a great plan for your program, and the ability to teach and motivate players to accomplish that plan.   

Exactly. And Gus got to 9 wins in 3 of 7 seasons. Why are some trying to set that as the standard for Harsin's first season? I think I know why, but it's weird.

And all wins and losses aren't the same. For example, let's not blow a huge lead with insane play calling. Let's never, ever have 117 yards of total offense in a game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Ok fine. So 9-4 this year shouldn’t be unreasonable?

I wish you would come out and say whatever it is you are thinking so somebody can explain to you how it doesn't make sense. 

Weekly you come in and ask the same random question....or at least say what it is you want to hear so somebody can say that to you.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, cbo said:

Exactly. And Gus got to 9 wins in 3 of 7 seasons. Why are some trying to set that as the standard for Harsin's first season? I think I know why, but it's weird.

And all wins and losses aren't the same. For example, let's not blow a huge lead with insane play calling. Let's never, ever have 117 yards of total offense in a game. 

The fact that anybody is trying to talk about a specific number of wins is dumb. Everybody is capable of watching the team play and then are able to make decisions as far as if we are improving or not.

One of the main variables is actually watching and discerning are we making the same mistakes over and over or are we learning and improving.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Well, as long as that isn't what it takes to get the recruits banging down our door. Currently it's pretty quiet on that front, and we still have plenty of ground to cover.

Edited by AUwent