Thankful we got Harsin when we did

Zeek

Just now, McLoofus said:

Chizik? I mean, he's the one that actually won a title. And we only had to suffer through 2 more years of him. And he left Gus with a ton of talent. All in all the Chizik experience was vastly superior to the Gus experience. 

Fair point, I was considering coaches with enough time here to really evaluate them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

Are you giving Malzahn credit for 2010, or just leaving Chizik out because of the brevity of his tenure?

As much the latter as the former. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Chizik? I mean, he's the one that actually won a title. And we only had to suffer through 2 more years of him. And he left Gus with a ton of talent. All in all the Chizik experience was vastly superior to the Gus experience. 

The same posters who are claiming that Gus supposedly doesn't get any credit (as if he didn't get credit in real-time when his accomplishments actually happened) want to literally usurp the 2010 Championship away from Chizik. Imagine claiming that you aren't incredibly biased, and then turning around and placing all the praise for a National Championship away from the actual Head Coach.

And yes, Malzahn's 2013 season doesn't even happen without Chizik's recruiting either. Most notably the OL which was entirely the work of Jeff Grimes.

If there's a coach who "doesn't get any credit", it's Gene Chizik LMAO. He doesn't even get any credit for the National Championship that he was actually the HEAD COACH for.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, metafour said:

Mikey is the most obvious one, but there are others like aucanucktiger, AUWent, etc. You're up there too, but not as blatant as the others.

I don't recognize those usernames.  I guess they are a little more quiet or rare or make forgettable posts. 

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

I don't recognize those usernames.  I guess they are a little more quiet or rare or make forgettable posts. 

There is another blatant obvious one as well although his tone has changed lately, especially after I quoted his responses when CBH got hired .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

There is another blatant obvious one as well although his tone has changed lately, especially after I quoted his responses when CBH got hired .

Maybe I haven't picked up on their shtick.  Not everyone can be an obtuse opinionated a**hole like myself where it is very obvious.

• Haha 2

Just now, W.E.D said:

Maybe I haven't picked up on their shtick.  Not everyone can be an obtuse opinionated a**hole like myself where it is very obvious.

As metafour has said it’s usually backhanded 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

If you don't recognize Mikey, you either haven't been around much or you haven't been paying attention.

26 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

No I didn't 🤣🤣🤣

Okay, my bad, I super duper lied and misrepresented.

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’ll take the most frustrating if it results in some of the highs we had 

What’s the last generation of Auburn fans who had it that well?

So allow me to rephrase. Chizik fans and Dye fans had it better. Tuberville and Bowden fans had it at least as good. Every phase of Auburn football going back 40 years and almost my entire life was at least as good as the Malzahn years and usually better. I'd certainly never previously sunk to the apathy I felt the last 3 years. It was like 2003 happened for the better part of- wait for it- a decade. 

About that decade thing, Bird's quote was attributed to you but he was actually quoting someone else. Mea culpa. Here's the thing, though. Nobody else was talking about "the 10s" until you moved the goalposts after the fact. The conversation was clearly about Gus, somebody else called it "the last decade"- a decade is 10 years long, fyi- you endorsed that, and then you tried to lump Chizik's national championship in with Malzahn's tenure. You know this is true and you know you're weaseling on this now. Don't worry, nobody else is reading this nonsense at this point. It's just me and you. And you know what's true. 

Anyway. Gus Malzahn won one SEC championship, did not win a national championship, and did not deliver an undefeated season in eight years. The previous four coaches can all claim at least equivalent accomplishments and a couple of them delivered something indisputably better. And if you extend it by two years to make it a decade, you're still not talking about Gene Chizik or Cam Newton.

It's very easy to compare Harsin's experience and pedigree to almost every Auburn coach before him and expect a superior product accordingly. 

1-0, LFG, WDE

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

If you don't recognize Mikey, you either haven't been around much or you haven't been paying attention.

Ha, sorry.  Yes Mikey.  The other ones.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Let me just say this. Go to some of the Gus threads, specifically the one rumor about him wanting to play us. Look at the one's giddy, saying "Auburn should play them or we don't believe in our coach." That was never the issue. It made literally zero sense for Auburn to play UCF in a home to home. If we play them in a bowl game or the playoffs, cool. Otherwise, there is literally no benefit for Auburn to play them. If you are an Auburn fan, you should be able to get that but you have a handful who are indeed Gus fans.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Ha, sorry.  Yes Mikey.  The other ones.

Okay, the others I can give you a pass on, because they get lost in the crowd much more easily, but on that one...lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

It's very easy to compare Harsin's experience and pedigree to almost every Auburn coach before him and expect a superior product accordingly. 

It would be nice if we finally hired a coach that doesn't destroy their own career.  Everyone cheats and eff the NCAA so maybe Dye is off the hook, but his own "actions" still ended up ruining his tenure.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Fair point, I was considering coaches with enough time here to really evaluate them. 

It's so hard to put those 4 years into any kind of context that even remotely makes sense. Only at Auburn, man. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I have a hard time remembering names in general and especially usernames. 

Might be better that way. React more to the post than the poster. 

Of course, there are a few that stick out for strikingly good or strikingly bad posts. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

there is literally no benefit for Auburn to play them

100%.  It's laughable thinking we'd have a Home and Home series vs a G5 school.

26 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Who?

There are fans, some on this very board, that I honestly believe want him to fail. Maybe they don't explicitly say it, but they also don't hide their despise of Harsin and love of Gus. I guess this is natural during changes, especially when it's an outsider like Harsin who we at Auburn aren't used to.

Harsin comes in, runs some guys off, lets everyone know who's boss, cuts off old insiders, takes a couple subtle shots at Gus and the culture under him, etc. I could go on. Some fans just can't handle it. They are so consumed with 2010 and 2013 that they are blinded to the state that Gus left this program in. Instead of rooting for Harsin to right the ship before we have a FSU/Tennessee collapse, they instead clamor for nice ole Gus to come back so that it will be acceptable for the players to dance on the sidelines as we are getting pounded by Northwestern. What an embarrassment 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, metafour said:

And yes, Malzahn's 2013 season doesn't even happen without Chizik's recruiting either. Most notably the OL which was entirely the work of Jeff Grimes.

I don’t really have a dog in the fight the past few pages so this is unrelated but I was curious if your opinion of how the OL has looked to you so far?  I know you are a football coach which is why I ask.

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Okay, my bad, I super duper lied and misrepresented.

So allow me to rephrase. Chizik fans and Dye fans had it better. Tuberville and Bowden fans had it at least as good. Every phase of Auburn football going back 40 years and almost my entire life was at least as good as the Malzahn years and usually better. I'd certainly never previously sunk to the apathy I felt the last 3 years. It was like 2003 happened for the better part of- wait for it- a decade. 

About that decade thing, Bird's quote was attributed to you but he was actually quoting someone else. Mea culpa. Here's the thing, though. Nobody else was talking about "the 10s" until you moved the goalposts after the fact. The conversation was clearly about Gus, somebody else called it "the last decade"- a decade is 10 years long, fyi- you endorsed that, and then you tried to lump Chizik's national championship in with Malzahn's tenure. You know this is true and you know you're weaseling on this now. Don't worry, nobody else is reading this nonsense at this point. It's just me and you. And you know what's true. 

Anyway. Gus Malzahn won one SEC championship, did not win a national championship, and did not deliver an undefeated season in eight years. The previous four coaches can all claim at least equivalent accomplishments and a couple of them delivered something indisputably better. And if you extend it by two years to make it a decade, you're still not talking about Gene Chizik or Cam Newton.

1-0, LFG, WDE

I'm gonna break this down in points, because now you have the Gus is Satan brigade back in and the paragraphs are flying and I just don't care to read all that

1. However you feel about any coach's tenure is fine. That second post you quoted about prior decades was for that. But then you went loco, seeing red, whatever. 

This post: 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Fans in 2010 got an undefeated season, a national championship, and a Heisman for the greatest single season of any college player in history.

Fans in the Aughts got an undefeated season, several huge wins over top-10 and even top-5 teams, and the best 3-year record in the country from 04-06.

Fans in the 90s got an undefeated season and several huge wins over top-10 and even top-5 teams.

Fans in the 80s saw a team win a national championship that was not awareded, a Heisman for the greatest athlete in American history, an Outland and Lombardi winner, and the first Iron Bowl ever played in JHS. They named the field after that guy. 

is talking about decades. You do recognize that? It explictly mentions fans in (x decade), which falls in line with the conversation I was seeking to have in the first place. I didn't "move goalposts", I didn't do any of that nonsense you're talking about. I didn't initially have any interest in the Gus is this Gus is that convo. I EXPLICTLY mentioned that I was discussing the decades multiple times after you brought up Gus, and you were the first person to bring up Gus in this back and forth to me 

I DID NOT GIVE A CARE TO DISCUSS GUS!!!

2. I'm not "weaseling" out of anything, this doesn't even need to be a second point but I need you to get this through your head because you wasted a substantial amount of time depicting me as doing something I didn't. To praise what went well in the 2010s....isn't the equivalent of praising Gus. Gus also deserves praise for what he did well, which I did in a couple posts after you dragged me into the mud, but MY INITIAL INTENTION WAS TO PRAISE THE 2010s

3. Really think about what you consider worth arguing about when you have to do these word games. The guy I quoted said "the last decade". I took that to mean the 2010s, the decade before the 2020s, which is the decade we're currently experiencing. If you were to take a deep breath and read my posts for what they were, I said 2010s. The 10 year stretch. It wouldn't make a ton of sense for me to compare 2011-2020 (2021 inclusive) , which isn't the 2010s, to 2000s, 1990s, 1980s, etc. You yourself, in one of the first posts in this nonsensical wash, explicitly mentioned fans of those decades, one of which was the 2010s...not 2011-2020. So where in God's name, did you go from there, to understanding that I was talking about the 2010s, to thinking I cared to argue about "the past ten years".

My interpretation, which I'd hate to give unless I was dragged into a stupid argument, is that you realized at some point that YOU had an argument that I did not share and felt like you could do these stupid word games to try to make it seem like I really was contesting your Gus bad rigmarole. I wasn't 

• Haha 1

I'm not going to say names either but there are a few people that come to mind that had jokes and comments as it seemed to be a problem that Harsin and part of his staff came from Boise st. 

It's hilarious one of the guys asking who made it a point to like and laugh at those backhanded comments and now asking who.

One thing you can count on when someone brings up something that happened you can count on a person who don't know ANYTHING about the subject will come in and say that they haven't seen whatever is said to have happened. I guarantee that!

• Like 2

I am here and have had some agree to disagree conversations about Gus. What does that have to do with tomorrow’s game. Those conversation are in the rear view mirror as far as I am concerned.

Edited by e808

11 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

You know, you don't have to keep repeating this --

Get other posters to stop incorrectly referencing it and I'll stop mentioning it.