Sweden, Denmark, and Finland Suspend Administration of Moderna Vaccine to "Young Adult Men"

metafour

Suspended for males aged 30 and under in Sweden and Finland, and males aged 18 and under in Denmark due to elevated risk of myocarditis.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/finland-pauses-use-moderna-covid-19-vaccine-young-men-2021-10-07/?taid=615edb6a3784a10001418fe9&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

But wait, I thought you shouldn't be skeptical of ANY of the vaccines? Just run out and get whichever one you can get, as fast as you can! Your 14 year old son? Vaccinate as quickly as possible! Children are dropping like flies! 

Trust the science, you white supremacists! 

Oh yeah, and Bryan Harsin and the Auburn administration are complete idiots for not forcibly vaccinating all these HIGH RISK college athletes LOL 🤪.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

Say it isn’t so.  Joe needs to back off this mandate of his.  Pfizer is seeking *emergency* FDA approval of their vaccine to vaccinate children 5-11.  What is the emergency in children 5-11?

• Facepalm 1

Soon they will realize it doesn't just stop at age 30. Really all ages are at risk for developing the condition. In addition the Pfizer vaccine poses the same risk as the Moderna. 

• Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Soon they will realize it doesn't just stop at age 30. Really all ages are at risk for developing the condition. In addition the Pfizer vaccine poses the same risk as the Moderna. 

I know ICHY, I give it a thumbs down too for causing these problems in some people. 

• Like 1

Just stop the BS already.  The risk of myocarditis as a result of Covid-19 is much much greater than the rare case resulting from taking the vaccine.  In addition to the rarity, THE CONDITION ALMOST ALWAYS SELF CORRECTS WITHIN DAYS OF SYMPTOMS.

19 cases identified from over 200 million shots given.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Just stop the BS already.  The risk of myocarditis as a result of Covid-19 is much much greater than the rare case resulting from taking the vaccine.  In addition to the rarity, THE CONDITION ALMOST ALWAYS SELF CORRECTS WITHIN DAYS OF SYMPTOMS.

19 cases identified from over 200 million shots given.

I think you should be telling this to whomever is in charge of public health in Sweden, Denmark, and Finland.

I'm sure they'll be happy to know their medical experts are trafficking in BS and grateful for you setting them straight.  I'm sure they don't really know and haven't correctly calculated the risk based on the numbers.

I'm sorry to be sarcastic here, but a lot of what I see you post about vaccines is very arrogant and dismissive of any opinion other than your own.  No offense, but it is.  This time you're literally being arrogantly dismissive about three sovereign countries who have people with advanced degrees in medicine and public health deciding to do this.  And we've already had a discussion about the fact that some of what you post about vaccines is simply not true.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

I think you should be telling this to whomever is in charge of public health in Sweden, Denmark, and Finland.

I'm sure they'll be happy to know their medical experts are trafficking in BS and grateful for you setting them straight.  I'm sure they don't really know and haven't correctly calculated the risk based on the numbers.

I'm sorry to be sarcastic here, but a lot of what I see you post about vaccines is very arrogant and dismissive of any opinion other than your own.  No offense, but it is.  This time you're literally being arrogantly dismissive about three sovereign countries who have people with advanced degrees in medicine and public health deciding to do this.  And we've already had a discussion about the fact that some of what you post about vaccines is simply not true.

Trust the science, bigot.

Just not whatever science these three whole-ass NATIONS are looking at. They obviously don't understand the science.

These must be FAR-RIGHT extremist nations, right? Oh wait, it's actually three Scandinavian "Liberal Utopias" - the same countries that were touted as models of "how to govern properly" pre-COVID. So if these three countries have found a reason to completely halt administration of a certain vaccine, shouldn't you assume that it was done under warranted pretenses?

By the way, even Canada has put out a "suggestion" that 18-24 year old's should now get Pfizer over Moderna. Obviously SOMETHING is off with the vaccine if Canada is even talking about it. Earlier in this pandemic, Canada was so balls-deep into vaccination at any cost that they were even recommending the obscene of mixing the vaccines if you have to in order to get "double vaxxed" as soon as possible.

Another fun fact: in September Japan put an entire batch of ~1.63 million Moderna vaccines on hold after they found contamination with "black particles" and metallic material.

Edited by metafour
  • Facepalm 1

What's the vaccination rate of those countries?

It's theoretically possible that - with a high vaccination rate and a corresponding low risk of infection - the risk of myocarditis from covid infection is less than that of acquiring it from vaccination.

But I doubt it.

From the article: 

(emphasis mine)

HELSINKI, Oct 7 (Reuters) - Finland on Thursday paused the use of Moderna's (MRNA.O) COVID-19 vaccine for younger males due to reports of a rare cardiovascular side effect, joining Sweden and Denmark in limiting its use.

Mika Salminen, director of the Finnish health institute, said Finland would instead give Pfizer's vaccine to men born in 1991 and later. Finland offers shots to people aged 12 and over.

"A Nordic study involving Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark found that men under the age of 30 who received Moderna Spikevax had a slightly higher risk than others of developing myocarditis," he said.

Swedish and Danish health officials had announced on Wednesday they would pause the use of the Moderna vaccine for all young adults and children, citing the same unpublished study.

Norwegian health officials reiterated on Wednesday that they recommended men under the age of 30 opt for Pfizer's vaccine.

The Finnish institute said the Nordic study would be published within a couple of weeks and preliminary data had been sent to the European Medicines Agency (EMA) for further assessment.

The EMA's safety committee concluded in July that such inflammatory heart conditions could occur in very rare cases following vaccination with Spikevax or the Pfizer/BioNTech Comirnaty jab, more often in younger men after the second dose.

Regulators in the United States, EU and the World Health Organization have however stressed that the benefits of shots based on the mRNA technology used by Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech in preventing COVID-19 continue to outweigh the risks.

A Moderna spokesperson said late on Wednesday it was aware of the decisions by the Swedish and Danish regulators.

"These are typically mild cases and individuals tend to recover within a short time following standard treatment and rest. The risk of myocarditis is substantially increased for those who contract COVID-19, and vaccination is the best way to protect against this."

Italy's Health Minister Roberto Speranza told reporters Italy was not planning to suspend the Moderna vaccine and said European countries should work together more closely to coordinate better.

"We have to trust international authorities, starting with EMA which is our reference agency and has expressed very clear judgments on the matter," he said.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/finland-pauses-use-moderna-covid-19-vaccine-young-men-2021-10-07/?taid=615edb6a3784a10001418fe9&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Bottom line, they've got (unpublished) data with an association of (mild) myocarditis from one of the available vaccines.  So they are restricting a certain age group to alternative vaccines. They still recommend vaccination.

What is not addressed directly, is the relative risk of myocarditis from covid itself, as well as the severity.  So, this says nothing about the relative risk of the Moderna vaccine vs. covid infection.  (No doubt they would have restrict the Moderna vaccine without alternative vaccines.)

So, yeah, go crazy.  :-\

Edited by homersapien

Update: Iceland has now halted the administration of the Moderna vaccine for EVERYONE.

Another country that apparently just doesn't understand science. We should send AU9377 over to intervene and teach them the SCIENCE.

🤡

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 3:40 PM, metafour said:

Update: Iceland has now halted the administration of the Moderna vaccine for EVERYONE.

Another country that apparently just doesn't understand science. We should send AU9377 over to intervene and teach them the SCIENCE.

🤡

They had been using Moderna exclusively as a booster for those that had previously received the one shot Jansen vaccine, due to the combination producing an 87 times increase in protection.  Other than Iceland, the other countries are still using Moderna for those over 30.

According to Swedish authorities, most of these inflammations are mild and go away on their own, but medical advice is recommended if symptoms occur. 

So go ahead and get your panties twisted thinking that some dire discovery has been made that justifies people not getting vaccinated.  It hasn't and thinking along those lines is as misguided today as it has been for the better part of the past year.

• Like 2