How is TD Moultry targeting Here? (merged threads)

aubiefifty

Looked like to me he launched himself (we keep saying he jumped to block the pass), and helmets hit together first. Describes targeting violation. Definitely was not the play the rule was trying to protect from though. Was not going to injure the player. Also odd they picked the earlier flag the rule was intended on protecting from.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Looked like to me he launched himself (we keep saying he jumped to block the pass), and helmets hit together first. Describes targeting violation. Definitely was not the play the rule was trying to protect from though. Was not going to injure the player. Also odd they picked the earlier flag the rule was intended on protecting from.

to be honest it happens too quick for my old eyes but i thought folks would want a good ol debate. harsin and several sportscasters have said it was a horrible call as did the dudes calling the game.

It’s not. The rule is killing the game and killing defense. I understand player safety is a concern, but now Moultry can’t play for a while because of a terrible call. The two targets that were walked back earlier in the game were more targeting than Moultry here. Booth completely dropped the ball on this call. Something has to give because stuff like this is having too much influence on the outcomes of games. 

I saw the exact call in a bama game earlier this year where it was face mask to face mask and it was reversed. These refs were some of the worst I’ve seen. Worst batch in the sec. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I saw the exact call in a bama game earlier this year where it was face mask to face mask and it was reversed. These refs were some of the worst I’ve seen. Worst batch in the sec. 

This wasn’t even a knee jerk flag being tossed because of a big collision. Instead, booth initiated. That’s what really gets me.

Edited by kwagoner
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Yes, the refs sucked! The conspiracy is that the call was made in bammerham and not on the field. Watch the Missouri game and you will see the exact same play and no targeting??? Missouri caused the QB to fumble and scored on the play.

• Like 2

When ex-players such as Jordan (vandy guy) can’t remember his name say it was a great football play then that tells me all I need to know.

as far as the bama conspiracy I wouldn’t put it past those dirt bags one bit. 

4 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

When ex-players such as Jordan (vandy guy) can’t remember his name say it was a great football play then that tells me all I need to know.

as far as the bama conspiracy I wouldn’t put it past those dirt bags one bit. 

Rodgers. He's Aaron's brother.

The safe thing would be not to play football at all. This sport isn’t for the weak, and anyone who plays it accepts the risk of injury. I agree that malicious hits should carry a penalty, but when a ball carrier lowers his head at the last split second, a helmet to helmet collision must be accepted as part of the decision to play the sport. What makes everything worse is that this rule is not enforceable in a consistent manner. Honest refs will differ in their interpretation of the rule, and corrupt refs will commandeer the rule to manipulate the outcome of the game. The latter happened yesterday when we had stopped MSU, and if it hadn’t we would have had a chance to take the lead back at the end.

My wife who doesn't know that much about football even said no that wasn't targeting, if she can call it that should tell you that the booth refs are stupid as hell for calling that. It's a damn football play. 

It was a pathetic call.. absolutely terrible.. my problem was the refs were not calling it both ways.. if that was targeting on Moultry.. how was the hit on Hudson not targeting? The refs were not consistent in their calls.. 

59 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

What a terrible flag. And for it to be booth initiated….yikes. Yeah, that’s a bad look for SEC officiating.

The conspiracy theorist in me says this crew yesterday was attempting to preserve bama’s chances to win the SEC and/or CFP position. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tigeraddikt said:

This is my first time seeing this hit. What a sad joke of a call. Harsin should be letting some frustration out over this one.

On TV he did seem rather subdued during and after the call well… the entire game.  I’m thinking maybe a little emotion from him may have helped energize the crowd and his team but that’s just me.

33 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

On TV he did seem rather subdued during and after the call well… the entire game.  I’m thinking maybe a little emotion from him may have helped energize the crowd and his team but that’s just me.

Would be nice to have a coach with charisma one day and not just a robot on the sidelines and in press conferences. I’m not sure if I’ve seen him show any sign of emotion on the sidelines. 

Edit: I will say that Gus did sometimes get animated on the sidelines as well as show frustration with ref calls. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

Who was working the booth that initiated it?  It's about time those people start having to answer the questions.  This year has been the worst officiating and replay booth calling we have ever seen....across the nation in all conferences it's just bad.  They are affecting the outcome of the games and have in many games this year not just in SEC.  I know Saturday is obviously the case of don't let the refs decide the game for you, which I have always hated that phrase. 

Edited by AUfan_UAgrad
  • Like 1

It's pathetic, but exactly the kind of crap I expected when they instrumented the stupid rule. They are giving subjective interpretation to a group of people who can't consistently decide what holding is, or pass interference. What is called PI on one team is the same thing that is just a routine play for another. WR's are allowed to push off to create separation with regularity, and you may see three offensive interference calls made in an entire season. Officiating across all of college football is simply trash. We have a game that generates millions of dollars in TV money, coaching salaries etc., yet is basically officiated by part time amateurs. 

• Like 3