Harsin Lost us this Game

AUght2win

3 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

And didn't I say your show of support lasts about as long as the next post? What about that? And what about the rest? Anything positive? At all? What would you tell a recruit and his family? That this staff stinks and will be bashed repeatedly after they put their trust in them? I'll never coach a game and neither will you. But our support, with a first year staff, through thick and thin. is what really matters. Especially in the toughest of times. I was wrong. You're a fountain of optimism with a positive outlook towards the future. Excuse me. Try looking up the definition of wisdom and expressing some, or is that a foreign concept?

Goodness gracious you've blown a fuse. I don't owe this coaching staff anything. I certainly don't owe you any sentiments or attitudes. Get a grip. 

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Goodness gracious you've blown a fuse. I don't owe this coaching staff anything. I certainly don't owe you any sentiments or attitudes. Get a grip. 

Sure and you don’t owe future recruits anything either. Why do you keep avoiding the question? No 1st year staff deserves some leeway. Ever. That’s your point. Got it.

5 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

And didn't I say your show of support lasts about as long as the next post? What about that? And what about the rest? Anything positive? At all? What would you tell a recruit and his family? That this staff stinks and will be bashed repeatedly after they put their trust in them? I'll never coach a game and neither will you. But our support, with a first year staff, through thick and thin. is what really matters. Especially in the toughest of times. I was wrong. You're a fountain of optimism with a positive outlook towards the future. Excuse me. Try looking up the definition of wisdom and expressing some, or is that a foreign concept?

So which staffer are you married to? 🤣

• Like 1

16 hours ago, selias said:

Find me an OL on our roster that could get it done. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Are there things that could have been done to improve our chances to win? Sure. Yet, you're complaining that a staff that's been together less than a year, fielding players that hadn't been developed, and attempting to create a culture change (while doing game prep and developing said players) couldn't beat the #2 team in the nation AFTER holding them to 0 points through most of the game. Get a ******* grip.

First of all these things that could be done differently as you say are common strategies that a good coach and OC would have brought in from day one and encompassed in the overall scheme and fit into individual game plan as needed. I will give you a the cultural change but that in no way explains 156 yards in 4OTs especially when a 1-9 New Mexico state did almost the same in 4 quarters.  As for developing players Harsin has an off-season for S&C spring and summer practice to improve the team especially the OL which has improved at all.

I am not saying we would have won the game but all we needed was to manufacture 3 points during regulation to win the game.  We could have slowed bamas speed and pursuit by cross blocking and counter plays.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Carnell said:

I am not saying we would have won the game but all we needed was to manufacture 3 points during regulation to win the game.

1st down at the bama 46 with 1:56 on the clock and a 7 point lead. We ran off *25 seconds* before punting and losing. 

That is a catastrophic failure of coaching. It just is. Doesn't mean we need to fire anyone but they failed and they know they failed. And for all of Tank's effort, he made a terrible, selfish decision. Other mistakes were made, but that doesn't mean his wasn't awful. It was. 

This one won't ever sit right. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m not a fan of our O line but Zierer is an exception. He looked great against both Arky and Bama. His block allowed Shenker to score the 2 pt conversion last night. Should’ve been starting all year in my opinion, and look forward to watching him next season. But he’s the only one I’m excited about. 

Zierer had the lowest offensive grade by PFF.  He wasn't good vs Bama

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

1st down at the bama 46 with 1:56 on the clock and a 7 point lead. We ran off *25 seconds* before punting and losing. 

That is a catastrophic failure of coaching. It just is. Doesn't mean we need to fire anyone but they failed and they know they failed. And for all of Tank's effort, he made a terrible, selfish decision. Other mistakes were made, but that doesn't mean his wasn't awful. It was. 

You said it perfectly. Doesn't mean I want CBH fired. But it's awful and it needs to be called what it is.

FFQk1_sXEAUftqs.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You said it perfectly. Doesn't mean I want CBH fired. But it's awful and it needs to be called what it is.

Another data point to consider: we were 20 point underdogs at home. Not awful to turn that into a 4 OT loss. Fair balance on the job done by our team and staff to do that in a game where we were supposed to be blown out. 

1. I’ll start by saying I’m not the biggest fan of Harsin after the final 4 games (my board presence will attest to this) 

2. I’ll also say, I think Harsin needs 4 years unless something catastrophic happens to the program before we talk about replacing him (no the Miss St. meltdown isn’t catastrophic) 

3. I think he underachieved this year 

4. He has coaching blunders to cost us games this year (I’m mixed about the iron bowl because we shouldn’t have even been in the position to blow a lead imo)

but….. 

This is his first year coaching in a P5 against experienced coaches with at least half the teams we played against having a more talented roster than us. Looking back, I’m happy him and his staff struggled to end the year to knock them down a peg or two after a good stretch against Ole Miss and Arky. The old saying I was always told was “you can’t win until you know how to lose”

Regardless, I hope his ass gets on the recruiting trail and proves me wrong about a few of my assumptions about him. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

THANK YOU!

Why are we defending this dude today for his “culture” or “laying foundations” or whatever? Dude has been a disaster! He lost this game! It was right there!!!! Did you guys already forget miss state? Or freakin lowly South Carolina? Gee whiz!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This is up there with 2013 BCS title game in terms of pain. This hurts.

I just hope everyone learns from it. Tape it up all over the facility if you have to. 

Kudos to Auburn for showing up and giving Bama everything they had but ultimately they failed. Outsiders will view this as scrappy underdog goes toe to toe with big favorite but we all know Auburn blew it. 

Edited by woodford
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Another data point to consider: we were 20 point underdogs at home. Not awful to turn that into a 4 OT loss. Fair balance on the job done by our team and staff to do that in a game where we were supposed to be blown out. 

Our offense scored 10 points in regulation, and our total yardage was even more measly than that would suggest. Digging deeper into data only makes a segment of "our staff" look better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

True. 

But we wouldn't have been 20 point underdogs if we had beaten Miss State and USC like we should have. 

We need better consistency where we aren't taking #2 down to the wire while also getting thumped by bottom dwelling SEC teams. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

THANK YOU!

Why are we defending this dude today for his “culture” or “laying foundations” or whatever? Dude has been a disaster! He lost this game! It was right there!!!! Did you guys already forget miss state? Or freakin lowly South Carolina? Gee whiz!!

I'm not all the way there on "Harsin ain't it" with you yet- even though I said exactly that Saturday night in a fit of emotion- but folks need to be honest about how this season ended. 

I defended Gus for several years, saying give him time. I'll extend Harsin the same courtesy. But if we asked him why we lost these games in the ways that we did, he would candidly and genuinely put a large amount of the blame on himself and his staff. 

• Like 2

Unpopular opinion and both can be true.

The defense and team played well. However, this Bama team is the weakest  we have seen in awhile. Very sloppy.  Bryce is a first year starter and will have to deal with him again next year.The refs actually called penalties on them. Robinson got hurt and their #1 receiver got kicked out the game. 

Edited by e808
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Let's make sure we give proper credit for the mistakes here & through the game. The coaching issues on this drive on 3rd & 1 at least & through the game as a whole was running up the middle there & often through the game given we are weakest on the OL inside the tackles. Bobo has play calling autonomy. He made those calls & did not adjust throughout the game to try to get our playmakers outside in space more often. You covered the Tank part well. That drive is not on Harsin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I said when we got the ball that we were gonna run, run, run. Everyone knew it, especially if I did.

That said, the OOB run was an absolute killer at that moment. The clock was our enemy and it got saved by that one play. There was no chance that they could then throw on the next down. None. Two of the three end results could have been a disaster. 

ETA- I don’t blame Tank for that play. I think he saw an opportunity and went for it, knowing a first down likely seals the game. Playmakers are gonna try to make plays sometimes. It sucks when it doesn’t work out.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

48 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

THANK YOU!

Too busy celebrating moral victories. 

38 minutes ago, e808 said:

Unpopular opinion and both can be true.

The defense and team played well. However, this Bama team is the weakest  we have seen in awhile. Very sloppy.  Bryce is a first year starter and will have to deal with him again next year.The refs actually called penalties on them. Robinson got hurt and their #1 receiver got kicked out the game. 

+ Bama might add some additional "portal firepower" to the team, Boutte, Tank, etc - might be a different Bama team next year...who knows.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

ETA- I don’t blame Tank for that play. I think he saw an opportunity and went for it, knowing a first down likely seals the game. Playmakers are gonna try to make plays sometimes. It sucks when it doesn’t work out.

First down seals the game, but staying in bounds pretty much does, too. 

Look, I'm even mad at myself about how that game turned out.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Carnell said:

First of all these things that could be done differently as you say are common strategies that a good coach and OC would have brought in from day one and encompassed in the overall scheme and fit into individual game plan as needed. I will give you a the cultural change but that in no way explains 156 yards in 4OTs especially when a 1-9 New Mexico state did almost the same in 4 quarters.  As for developing players Harsin has an off-season for S&C spring and summer practice to improve the team especially the OL which has improved at all.

I am not saying we would have won the game but all we needed was to manufacture 3 points during regulation to win the game.  We could have slowed bamas speed and pursuit by cross blocking and counter plays.

Also, If the OL is the problem and Harsin will be the solution then why is recruiting in this area looking so abysmal? If we can't win because the sever lack of talent is the argument made by some, then it seems you have to hold the staff accountable for how they recruit in that area. I suspect we will all be disappointed come signing day with our OL class.

Edited by shabby

2 minutes ago, shabby said:

Also, If the OL is the problem and Harsin will be the solution then why is recruiting in this area looking so abysmal? If we can't win because the sever lack of talent is the argument made by some, then it seems you have to hold the staff accountable for how they recruit in that area. I suspect we will all be disappointed come signing day with our OL class.

Look, you can’t just turn o-line recruiting around over night.  First of all you need to build relationships and develop players.   The number of o-lineman in the NFL and more importantly the lack of preparedness and failure of Auburn o-lineman in the NFL has been a death sentence in recruiting elite talent for the last decade.   Running a kids offense for a decade has damning effects on recruiting.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

First down seals the game, but staying in bounds pretty much does, too. 

Look, I'm even mad at myself about how that game turned out.

Man, I totally get it. It was literally the worst possible outcome besides a turnover. We were watching at the pizza joint(shoutout to the Smoke Jumper pizza…sold over 100 so far and is in the lead to be on the permanent menu!) watching the game. There were probably 20 people standing in front of the bar watching and we all gasped when he went out of bounds. You could feel the air being sucked out of the room. Everyone could feel what was happening. 

All I’ll say is, I was so damn proud of the way the team hung in there. And that’s no moral victory. I tend to look at the positives. It’s just my nature.

• Love 1