Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

36 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Matt Wells definitely seems to have a bright offensive mind I just wonder how he would be as a recruiter.

Kiesau wouldn't be a boost in recruiting but is another option than can call plays.

I swear we'll mention Dell as an OC candidate every time with not traction. He would be a great boost to recruiting but I think Harsin or Kiesau would have to be the play callers and that makes for a weird dynamic.

Zak Hill could call plays and replaces the QB role Bobo had as well.

Jeff Lebby isn't happening.

Kendal Briles would be awesome.

Jeff Grimes would be awesome.

Wells and Hill seem very realistic to me 

Just now, DAG said:

Wells and Hill seem very realistic to me 

Our offense would look much closer to what we saw from the Boise film than the crap Bobo was running.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

One name I've seen a few places is Tom Herman.  I'm not sure if his offense meshes well with what Harsin wants to run, but he runs a high power offense and is known as a beast recruiter. 

That would be a homerun 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

That would be a very Auburnesque hire.

Dude reminds me of some beta-nerd Gus type. Pass. Also not in love with his resume'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AURealist said:

In the end, we spend more money when we try to get a 'deal'.  It's like tools or cars.  Go ahead, pay the money for one you know for certain is of good quality.  Buy once, cry once.  

I agree with ur sentiment but, to be honest, we haven't been deal shopping.  We made Kevin Steele the highest paid coordinator in the country. Gus was the 6th highest paid head coach.  Currently, Harsin is somewhere around #15 and that is more than double his salary at Boise.  The contracts, and especially the buyout provisions, are out of control.  People love to say that it is just what the market demands.  I'm not so sure that is actually the case.  It is what the market demands if the goal is to win the press conference.  There are a lot of good football coaches that never get the opportunity to make a million bucks simply due to the fact that nobody knows who they are.  How many people knew who Sam Pittman was before he was hired by Arkansas?  He only got a shot because they had been turned down by every other recognizable name they approached.  He was smart enough to know that he had to hire the best coordinators he could find.  He did and the result is that he is considered a great hire in hindsight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

I agree with ur sentiment but, to be honest, we haven't been deal shopping.  We made Kevin Steele the highest paid coordinator in the country. Gus was the 6th highest paid head coach.  Currently, Harsin is somewhere around #15 and that is more than double his salary at Boise.  The contracts, and especially the buyout provisions, are out of control.  People love to say that it is just what the market demands.  I'm not so sure that is actually the case.  It is what the market demands if the goal is to win the press conference.  There are a lot of good football coaches that never get the opportunity to make a million bucks simply due to the fact that nobody knows who they are.  How many people knew who Sam Pittman was before he was hired by Arkansas?  He only got a shot because they had been turned down by every other recognizable name they approached.  He was smart enough to know that he had to hire the best coordinators he could find.  He did and the result is that he is considered a great hire in hindsight.

Prices are always rising. 

Personally, I think we hired CBH based on his clean character and lower price point while our direct competitors hired based on proven talent.  Only time will tell who, if anyone, got their money's worth.  

We really need a splash hire at OC. A good OC that will bring the recruits. Doesn't need to be an under the radar guy. Not that an under the radar guy can't be a great coach, but where we stand right now, we need someone to make some noise on the recruiting trail.

28 minutes ago, shabby said:

good to see we are all full of confidence over the forthcoming hire. 

I think we are all Gustified in our pessimism.  it's not only going to take the players some time to buy in, it's gonna take us all some time to be re-programmed.

If you go and look at the moves he made and making with recruiting, I;m heartened.  But some part of me can't help but wait for the other shoe to drop.  

2 hours ago, AURealist said:

In the end, we spend more money when we try to get a 'deal'.  It's like tools or cars.  Go ahead, pay the money for one you know for certain is of good quality.  Buy once, cry once.  

“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten”

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

We really need a splash hire at OC. A good OC that will bring the recruits. Doesn't need to be an under the radar guy. Not that an under the radar guy can't be a great coach, but where we stand right now, we need someone to make some noise on the recruiting trail.

Eh, splash hires are overrated.  They may look great & check all the perception boxes, but they can still fall flat.  

See the source image

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

Eh, splash hires are overrated.  They may look great & check all the perception boxes, but they can still fall flat.  

See the source image

Did you even read my post? As for yours, any hire can fall flat. If we do not get the players, the hire will most definitely do so, I don't care how good the playcaller is.

Edited by boisnumber1

Recruiting has to be priority number one right now. I expect us to promote or bring on another Harsin Boise guy and I think that move would set us back quite a bit. Maybe the PTB have told Harsin he has a decade to turn this thing around, but that's the only thing that would explain a lot of what we're doing. It would make sense to bring in an exciting hire at OC as offense is where the game is being played right now, but I just don't see that sort of move with this coach unless someone makes him. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Prices are always rising. 

Personally, I think we hired CBH based on his clean character and lower price point while our direct competitors hired based on proven talent.  Only time will tell who, if anyone, got their money's worth.  

I don’t think that is the case with Florida. IMO Harsin has much more proven credibility than their choice. USC and LSU got more proven ones.

4 minutes ago, au302 said:

Saw a good point that Harrell's contract does not expire until the fourth. If it's him we may wait it out until then

Wouldnt hate that hire but would think he would stay out West or go back to Texas. I know he’s wanting to make sure he’s in position to take on a HC gig somewhat soon. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Wouldnt hate that hire but would think he would stay out West or go back to Texas. I know he’s wanting to make sure he’s in position to take on a HC gig somewhat soon. 

Same here. He's a good coordinator. Runs air raid but knows how to adjust so could be a good mesh. A big plus for me is that he's got two good quarterbacks at USC. If Williams follows Riley maybe he could convince one of them to follow

29 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I don’t think that is the case with Florida. IMO Harsin has much more proven credibility than their choice. USC and LSU got more proven ones.

Remains to be seen with Florida, but the Mississippi schools will both be trouble for us in the near future.