Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

1 hour ago, cbo said:
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe we need a dedicated Cool Hand Luke thread. Shawshank Redemption posts will be tolerated. Hogan's Heroes posts will not. 

I'll bring the eggs!

ABFB136F-82C5-4734-AFE3-973A3E76B15A.gif

I did consider going off and decapitating a bunch of parking meters after that game just to blow off some steam. Did *not* want a night in the box though….

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

He had great talent at ND and played a  much weaker schedule.

I don't fear Kelly

You'd better

You're correct on the first point, but you don't understand that most of Auburn's players couldn't make it into ND.  Fact.  That makes a huge disparity when it comes to talent. 

He is a damn good coach and has always gotten more out of his players than they thought they had.  Watch what he will do with that Louisiana talent and lesser academic standards

I'm hearing it's George Jefferson!

Best George Jefferson GIFs | Gfycat

From all accounts he's moving on up. 

Edited by autigeremt
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

17 hours ago, au302 said:

I'm starting to think it's going to be Hill, Harrell, or Ludwig. Harrell is still on contract for a few more days, and Ludwig is playing this weekend for a conference title. Seems like if it was Kiesau it would've been leaked by now. Of course, since I'm saying this, it will absolutely not be one of them lol

Your guess is as good as anyone's it seems from reading thru all this...All three of these seem like good candidates.  Is there an "official" list of real candidates that any of the "insiders" has put out?  Also, what is the latest thinking on Lebby, Grimes or Ruggiero (Wake Forest guy)?

Anyone with scoop on the below list?

Hill

Harrel

Ludwig

Lebby

Grimes

Ruggiero

6 minutes ago, fredst said:

ABFB136F-82C5-4734-AFE3-973A3E76B15A.gif

I did consider going off and decapitating a bunch of parking meters after that game just to blow off some steam. Did *not* want a night in the hole though….

Night in the "box"

• Love 2

3 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I'm hearing it's George Jefferson!

Best George Jefferson GIFs | Gfycat

From all accounts he's moving on up. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 5

Guest MustardSeed
1 hour ago, Beaker said:

He had great talent at ND and played a  much weaker schedule.

I don't fear Kelly

I don’t fear Kelly either.  That said he probably is a step up from coach O and the grass eater. Not sure how well he will fit in at LSU or how he will like moving from Northern culture to swamp culture. It could go real bad real quick or it could be a match made in Heaven. It’ll certainly be interesting to watch

7 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I don’t fear Kelly either.  That said he probably is a step up from coach O and the grass eater. Not sure how well he will fit in at LSU or how he will like moving from Northern culture to swamp culture. It could go real bad real quick or it could be a match made in Heaven. It’ll certainly be interesting to watch

Historically, there's a traditional Irish immigrant & culture connection on the Bayou, which corndogs will no doubt suddenly rediscover to make Kelley's hire seem a natural fit.

Guest MustardSeed
11 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Historically, there's a traditional Irish immigrant & culture connection on the Bayou, which corndogs will no doubt suddenly rediscover to make Kelley's hire seem a natural fit.

Oh I don’t doubt it…but they’ll surely mess that up. Cajun Irish and Boston Mass Irish Catholic are likely about as similar as Russians and Koreans 😂

44 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I'd expect nothing less from Bleacher Report.

absolutely comical

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

If we don’t get our act together, LSU will begin a consistent a** kicking of Auburn starting in 2023 just like Georgia has established. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, saminbama said:

Yeah.  From the Football Scoop.   

Not particularly impressed by Zak Hill's work. 

Plus, his Washington/Oregon sensibilities may not fit well with Auburn. 

Sounds like we found our man...   🙄

16 minutes ago, saminbama said:

TIFWIW but lot of smoke in the last hour or so on other boards about Hill. Not sure how much I trust it but I will not be upset at all. He works well with Harsin plus had Boises offenses going good. Question will be does he have a QB to come with him (not Jayden Daniels)

13 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Thanks for the chuckle (we found our man). 

39 minutes ago, woodford said:

If we don’t get our act together, LSU will begin a consistent a** kicking of Auburn starting in 2023 just like Georgia has established. 

Georgia started this trend when Richt was the coach.   Since 2002, Auburn has only won 5 times

• Sad 3
  • Angry 1

36 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I agree. From the stats we have a better Offense than ASU does and they play in the Pac 12.... We can do better.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/team/_/season/2021/table/passing/sort/totalYards/dir/desc

13 minutes ago, bootskii said:

I agree. From the stats we have a better Offense than ASU does and they play in the Pac 12.... We can do better.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/team/_/season/2021/table/passing/sort/totalYards/dir/desc

Sometimes it helps to add a little bit more context or analysis when trying to analyze something as complex as evaluating the merits or ability of a play caller or offense.

For example; Arizona State was plagued by turnovers this season. They ranked 116th in fumbles lost per-game. They ranked 95th nationally in total giveaways-per-game. They ranked 120th in plays-per-game.

However, they ranked 21st nationally in offensive yards-per-play. They ranked 31st in 3rd down conversion percentage. They ranked 33rd in in 4th down conversion percentage. They ranked 37th in "points-per-play".

What this means is that they didn't have a problem moving the ball or converting pivotal downs. What they had a problem with was giving the ball away. Turnovers mean that you get to run less plays, which means that your "yards per game" take a hit, as does your "points per game".

• Like 5

Guest MustardSeed
1 hour ago, saminbama said:

Very meh. Barely finished in the top 60 in PPG this year.  His 4 years at Boise were worse than the previous 2 years before he got there. He won’t have any ability to quickly recruit this area. Would be a pretty subpar hire IMO

Guest MustardSeed
22 minutes ago, metafour said:

Sometimes it helps to add a little bit more context or analysis when trying to analyze something as complex as evaluating the merits or ability of a play caller or offense.

For example; Arizona State was plagued by turnovers this season. They ranked 116th in fumbles lost per-game. They ranked 95th nationally in total giveaways-per-game. They ranked 120th in plays-per-game.

However, they ranked 21st nationally in offensive yards-per-play. They ranked 31st in 3rd down conversion percentage. They ranked 33rd in in 4th down conversion percentage. They ranked 37th in "points-per-play".

What this means is that they didn't have a problem moving the ball or converting pivotal downs. What they had a problem with was giving the ball away. Turnovers mean that you get to run less plays, which means that your "yards per game" take a hit, as does your "points per game".

It’s up to the coaches (aka the coordinator) to coach ball security isn’t it?  So it’s just a piece of the puzzle that his offensive staff failed miserably at this year.  Color me highly unimpressed

1 hour ago, bootskii said:

May need a little better known name. Guys coming from out west don’t know how to recruit the SE and without Bobo, we are going to need more help recruiting. Not sure how many 3 and 4 stars but into a 6/6 program. Then again, there will be plenty of opportunity to play early with the portal taking and giving. 

• Like 1

A very small possibility (this is pure speculation) is Robert Anae, the OC of Virginia. His offenses are pretty great, but he may be too loyal to Bronco Mendenhall to leave. Anae was the BSU OL Coach while Harsin was in school.

I think the best possibility is Zak Hill, especially since there is a history, he is good at developing QB's, and there is no guarantee he will have a job if Herm Edwards hangs it up.

I could see Andy Ludwig because of the obvious connections to Harsin and Mason, but he would be a very hard pull. He was great at Wisconsin with Melvin Gordon. He runs multiple offenses and tries to get the hands of the people who make plays. He is said to not have an offensive style because he molds it around what the players can do. Very good QB coach. He has said that Utah is his last job, so the probability is very low. He would be a fantastic hire for Auburn.

I don't see any hire being made if the person has never called plays.

ZH would mesh well with the current staff.   That’s where the positives end.   
The #1 biggest need on this staff is a boss recruiter!!!!   

I’m still holding out hope for Jeff Grimes!  He is a beast recruiter, his body of work as a coach and coordinator speaks for itself.  He also has some connections to the current staff, as well as Auburn!  It would be a home run hire!

I think Zak would be an upgrade, but I am certain people would find something wrong with almost anyone.

I would be absolutely ecstatic if Grimes was hired.  

• Like 1