Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

Guest MustardSeed
5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Would he really want to come back after he was fired from here in 2012?

No idea…but it wasn’t really him that was fired it was Chizik and he was a casualty. That was a different AD and entirely different staff.  Doubt too many at Auburn had much bad to say about him when he left. Probably the best OL coach we’ve had in a very long time

1 minute ago, TJRanger175 said:

If the job is offered to him I am positive he takes it.

You think so?  He might take it, but I think AU is gonna have to up his salary.  Dude has moved a lot and has long deserved a HC job.

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

And what would Grimes coach? He coaches TE’s now I believe.

OL I would assume. He’s an amazing OL coach

1 minute ago, sevenlee36 said:

Only downside to Grimes is that he isn’t a QB coach. He typically doesn’t coach QBs. So someone on staff would likely have to coach QBs.

You mean like Bryan Harsin?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AcUmen said:

You think so?  He might take it, but I think AU is gonna have to up his salary.  Dude has moved a lot and has long deserved a HC job.

True.

He definitely deserves a shot at HC.

I am speculating he would take it… and yeah, we would have to throw a lot of money at him and who knows what the budget is.

18 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Immediate upgrade in terms of what? Can he recruit?

Well Bobo was not very good at calling plays or recruiting. So maybe this will help one of the areas. Just holding out hope that we bring in somebody awesome. 

Guest MustardSeed
20 minutes ago, TJRanger175 said:

He is an immediate upgrade, if true.

Disagree. His resume shows nothing worth being hired at an SEC level and recruits will likely not be excited. This would be 100% on par with a Gus hire. Maybe worse because at least recruits believed Gus would run a quality SEC offense. It would take him proving it on the field to get recruits interested and no one this side of Texas has a clue who he is.  I’d support him if hired but would expect Harsin to be gone in 2 years if this it the type of hires he is making

30 minutes ago, TJRanger175 said:

I think we are underestimating just how desirable the offensive coordinator job at Auburn is. If I am a highly competitive guy, I would be chomping at the bit to go against the best competition every single week.

Who knows how many people have reached out to Harsin already.

It’s funny you say that, because I’m starting to think that we collectively as a fan base are overestimating how desirable any coaching position is at Auburn. 

We don’t really have big name head coaches lined up begging for interviews. This thing with LSU and USC really put into perspective how desirable we are compared to teams like that. 

• Like 5

Here's the way I see it:

1) Grimes -- Homerun

2) Ludwig -- really strong

3) Hill -- fallback plan, solid

Grimes was at AU under Chiz, knows Auburn, the south, and SEC crootin.  Grimes is considered one of the BEST O-line coaches in the game.  He is also an ace O-line recruiter which we really need.  If Friend stays, we would have 3 O-line coaches on staff -- Grimes, Friend and Bedell.  (Of course, it's possible that Grimes would bring in his own O-line coach).  Either way, we'd have plenty of focus on getting this O-line into SEC shape.  The downside with Grimes is we'd have no one dedicated to QB's. It would seem Harsin would have to take over that job himself.  Another problem is Grimes is long overdue a HC job and might even be up for one now.  So even if we land him, he might be one and done.

Ludwig actually coached Harsin when Harsin was a QB. They have a long history.  Also, Ludwig was Mason's OC at Vandy, so there's that tie-in as well.  Ludwig has Utah in the Pac-12 championship game and blasted Oregon earlier this year.  The upside with Ludwig is he knows both Harsin and Mason and would fit right in.  He also is a really good QB coach, so he could fill that dual role as well.  Ludwig seems to be a career OC, so we could probably land him no problem.

Hill was Harsin's OC at Boise for several years and did a good job before ASU snatched him.  I have no idea if Hill is a QB coach or not.  Hill would probably jump at the chance to coach in the SEC and reunite with Harsin.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Maybe worse because at least recruits believed Gus would run a quality SEC offense

Here is where you lose credibility.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guest MustardSeed
6 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Here is where you lose credibility.   

Except it was true. Maybe not at the end but for a while

59 minutes ago, TJRanger175 said:

I would imagine Keisau would become QB/WR coach

What about Special Teams ? (EXTREME SARCASM). 

Ludwig, Hill, and one of Harrell/Grimes is my thinking. Grimes is the obvious home run, my only question is how would he and Harsin's systems mesh? Biggest appeal to me is that he'd rebuild our trenches with recruiting.

Guest MustardSeed

Just looked through Ludwigs career stats as an OC (well back through ‘03..dudes been an OC since ‘97….)

ONCE since ‘03 has his offenses finished in the top 20 in PPG.  He’s been at places like Oregon, Utah, Cal and Wisconsin and with all their resources only cracked the top 20 once in the last 19 years. He should be a very hard no.  Good guy for a place like Utah. He should stay there IMO

Edited by MustardSeed

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Who would you hire 

Would prefer Ludwig over Hill, if that's a serious option.  Grimes would be great, but would he come back?  Truth is, at this point, I think of Coach Harsin as an experiment. 

I expect a Zak Hill sort of hire, two or three years of average ball and then another bad decision by the AU PTB.  

Change my mind.  

Jeez.  I just realized I can't take the AU football program seriously, anymore.  It's a sad day.  

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It’s funny you say that, because I’m starting to think that we collectively as a fan base are overestimating how desirable any coaching position is at Auburn. 

We don’t really have big name head coaches lined up begging for interviews. This thing with LSU and USC really put into perspective how desirable we are compared to teams like that. 

Fans definitely overestimate the desirability of this job. Auburn is a big time CFB program but coaches ain’t dumb. They see Auburn has the toughest schedule in football every year. It’s hard to win here consistently. It’s a stressful ass job

Edited by Sizzle
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

12 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Fans definitely overestimate the desirability of this job. Auburn is a big time CFB program but coaches ain’t dumb. They see Auburn has the toughest schedule in football every year. It’s hard to win here consistently. It’s a stressful ass job

I've said this a billion times, I'll say it again. The freaking Mississippi schools got coaches most of us would happily take.

I just don't know with CBH. I really hope people like Zeek and Brad are right and Harsin turns out to be a very good long term coach (with approximately the success of at least Tubs) and could even see it if we finish strong in recruiting. But if we end up with Zak Hill I'm leaning towards what CivilEng and Realist are saying. The question is, how long do we need to give him for optics/what we can afford (bad move to have two coaches on payroll)?

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This thing with LSU and USC really put into perspective how desirable we are compared to teams like that. 

The perspective is if you pay enough money you can get who you want. The deals they got are nothing short of absurd compared to what they have actually produced. We would get a lot of interest if we offered 100 million dollar 10 year deals and 6 million dollar homes. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Are we really going to melt if we fired Bobo, a guy Harsin wasn't philosophically meshed with, and hire the guy he works really well with in Hill? If Harsin is going to sink or swim here, it needs to be with his guys. If that's Hill, fine with me

• Like 3

Zach Kittley

• Like 1