Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

The Auburn OC job hasn’t historically been a great stepping stone so we may be fighting against perception.  Gus stepped up out of that role, and before that, Petrino.  Seems like all the others flamed out or moved laterally after AU. 

Lindsey and Lashlee eventually ended up with HC gigs.

4 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Remains to be seen with Florida, but the Mississippi schools will both be trouble for us in the near future.  

Curious to see how Leach does next year now that he’s proven he can be a threat.  Can he adjust when the best DC’s in college football scheme their best to stop him.  Typical shelf life for an offense in the SEC is about 3 years, after that you’ve got to adapt and adjust or you’ll be left behind.  Feels like Kiffin has learned that; just not sold on Leach.

On 11/29/2021 at 8:35 PM, fredst said:

I’ve heard that Wade Christopher is available 

Can we just get him for S & C coach...

• Love 1

28 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

The Auburn OC job hasn’t historically been a great stepping stone so we may be fighting against perception.  Gus stepped up out of that role, and before that, Petrino.  Seems like all the others flamed out or moved laterally after AU. 

That Gus bus coaching tree 🥸

3 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Boo

Ludwig would be a good hire. He was actually Harsin's coach when Harsin played QB.  He was also Mason's OC at Vandy for a few years.  This year Utah is going to the Pac-12 championship.

Harsin could do worse.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, AURealist said:

Prices are always rising. 

Personally, I think we hired CBH based on his clean character and lower price point while our direct competitors hired based on proven talent.  Only time will tell who, if anyone, got their money's worth.  

By competitors, I assume you mean LSU.  Florida hired a Sunbelt coach. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is par for the course when it comes to hiring coaches.  Auburn, for good reason, would have never paid what LSU is paying BK and I think that is a smart decision.  He may do great things there, but he also may just keep them competitive and struggle to reach the playoffs.  Recent SEC hires have been UT, AU & Ole Miss hiring coaches from outside the Power 5, Vandy hiring an assistant first time HC, South Carolina hiring an assistant first time HC, Arkansas hiring an assistant first time HC & Ms State hiring Leach from the PAC 12.

There aren't many, if any, coaches with a championship pedigree that are willing to pick up and move to start from scratch.  Even Mel Tucker, after only 2 years at MSU, chose to take a mega contract to stay put over starting over.  James Franklin did the same at PSU.

I agree that prices are always rising, but I would add that they are always rising until the day they aren't.  This entire house of cards will eventually fold.  Whether that is in our lifetimes or not is up for debate, but it really isn't sustainable if anything rocks the system. We saw that last year with the number of programs that went deep into debt trying to pay their obligations.  Even the coaches at Michigan were forced to take a 10% pay cut.

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 pages now....wow

Give me Dell M  or Kellen Moore - both would attract kids like flies to, well you know what I mean.   Also, I think both would be tremendous additions.

One think I like about Moore - he works from the sideline as the OC.   He can grab a guy between series and make a direct point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Beaker said:

13 pages now....wow

One think I like about Moore - he works from the sideline as the OC.   He can grab a guy between series and make a direct point.

What's the advantage of the  booth?  Less distractions?  Is the OC actually watching D alignments and such or is his nose in the playbook selecting his next play.  If vantagepoint is the main benefit, seems like they could have an ipad in their hand with a live aerial feed.

I'm always amazed at how quickly the situation is assessed, the play gets selected, and then relayed down to the field. 

Edited by AUDevil
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beaker said:

13 pages now....wow

Give me Dell M  or Kellen Moore - both would attract kids like flies to, well you know what I mean.   Also, I think both would be tremendous additions.

You'll never get either.

DellM  isn't coming bc all he does is coach RBs. I don't see Harsin wanting him with no OC experience.

Kellen Moore is all NFL now. He's done well there, and probably see's a possible NFL HC spot if his offenses keep doing well w Dallas.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Excellent observation. I’m thinking Lashlee had nice potential, but was shackled by Gus. He earned the SMU gig post AU.

6 hours ago, Zeek said:

Matt Wells definitely seems to have a bright offensive mind I just wonder how he would be as a recruiter.

Kiesau wouldn't be a boost in recruiting but is another option than can call plays.

I swear we'll mention Dell as an OC candidate every time with not traction. He would be a great boost to recruiting but I think Harsin or Kiesau would have to be the play callers and that makes for a weird dynamic.

Zak Hill could call plays and replaces the QB role Bobo had as well.

Jeff Lebby isn't happening.

Kendal Briles would be awesome.

Jeff Grimes would be awesome.

So do all the following OC possible choices seem a better fit and provide a better option than Bobo to you guys?

Kiseau

Wells

Hill

Ludwig

Harrell

I don't see any way that Dell's first time calling plays will be at this job and for Harsin. Just don't see it. He's never done it plus he may not know Harsin's scheme. To get him we'd have to make him run-game coordinator and Kiesau pass game coordinator.

Either Harsin or Kiesau would call plays. Sounds fine until you think about Caddy. He'd probably be the odd man out. Maybe they could make Kiesau QB coach and let Caddy coach receivers, but I have no clue if he's qualified for that

7 hours ago, woodford said:

Brian Kelly would’ve been massive for Auburn. Don’t know we could have afforded him with this Gus buyout. Oh well. Kudos to LSU for swinging for the fences. Something Auburn never does. 

I am not that impressed with Kelly. Notre Dame has been a top school recruiting for years but even playing a weaker schedule then any team in the SEC West his record was good but not that good when he played highly rated teams.

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

You'll never get either.

DellM  isn't coming bc all he does is coach RBs. I don't see Harsin wanting him with no OC experience.

Kellen Moore is all NFL now. He's done well there, and probably see's a possible NFL HC spot if his offenses keep doing well w Dallas.

yeah, I know pipe dream.

I thought Dell was Co OC.   I haven't read that, so i am probably wrong.   I just know he is a talent magnet and figured Harsin and company would ensure he was successful. 

Thanks

13 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am not that impressed with Kelly. Notre Dame has been a top school recruiting for years but even playing a weaker schedule then any team in the SEC West his record was good but not that good when he played highly rated teams.

I mean Kelly obviously isn't Saban or Urban Meyer, but if compared to the other 120 something FBS head football coaches, he's certainly near the top of the list IMO. 

ND was a very mediocre mostly .500 program when he arrived and after 2 years he turned them into pretty consistent program. And ND does have a recruiting disadvantage of having higher academic standards than most other schools (even if ND laxes them for football a bit), so having top talent at ND isn't an automatic guarantee.   

His one sticking point is no National Championship, but with LSU resources and talent, he'll probably win one soon or else he'll be kicked out. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

So do all the following OC possible choices seem a better fit and provide a better option than Bobo to you guys?

Kiseau

Wells

Hill

Ludwig

Harrell

Not sure if Kiseau is a home run hire for Harsin.  He's obviously worked with Harsin and is familiar with what he wants but he was only OC for the 2020 season.  He was co-OC the prior year and has had sporadic OC work for a year at Colorado and Washington but that's it.

Since we are talking complete hypothetical with the assumption a name will be mentioned after Saturday, check out Anthony Tucker from Utah St.

46 minutes ago, Beaker said:

13 pages now....wow

None of those are remotely realistic options . Come on now 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Beaker said:

13 pages now....wow

He turned down HC at BSU. He ain’t coming as OC IMO.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I mean Kelly obviously isn't Saban or Urban Meyer, but if compared to the other 120 something FBS head football coaches, he's certainly near the top of the list IMO. 

ND was a very mediocre mostly .500 program when he arrived and after 2 years he turned them into pretty consistent program. And ND does have a recruiting disadvantage of having higher academic standards than most other schools (even if ND laxes them for football a bit), so having top talent at ND isn't an automatic guarantee.   

His one sticking point is no National Championship, but with LSU resources and talent, he'll probably win one soon or else he'll be kicked out. 

Agree. Les Miles and Ed O are pretty bad HC's and they both won national championships. I expect Kelly to be a major upgrade and I do not like it one bit. 

• Like 1

I'm starting to think it's going to be Hill, Harrell, or Ludwig. Harrell is still on contract for a few more days, and Ludwig is playing this weekend for a conference title. Seems like if it was Kiesau it would've been leaked by now. Of course, since I'm saying this, it will absolutely not be one of them lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

13 pages now....wow

I honestly thought people were trolling when they kept bringing up Kellen Moore. 
Let me tell you he isn’t coming. He turned down his dream job at BSU last year to make it as an NFL HC. All he’s done is produce the best offense in the NFL this year. He’s not coming to be the offensive coordinator at AU. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

All Brian Kelly needed was an elite NFL talent QB and they would've had a NC, imo. That was their only real hang-up. 

What he and his staff did with all the restrictions is pretty remarkable. NCG appearance, 2 playoff appearances. Auburn has barely sniffed a Playoff spot (2017).