Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

52 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

It’s up to the coaches (aka the coordinator) to coach ball security isn’t it?  So it’s just a piece of the puzzle that his offensive staff failed miserably at this year.  Color me highly unimpressed

Yeah, no offense, but there isn't a single coach in the country that doesn't teach or emphasize "ball security". You understand that fumbles lost is also highly dependent on LUCK, right? A player drops the ball, and then depending on where it bounces and who is in the area, it is either a turnover, or it isn't. There are teams that routinely fumble the ball but seemingly always fall back onto it. Other teams barely fumble, but when they do, magically it's right in front of a defender. This is called luck.

Ball security is something that is coached in pee-wee football. Even if you wanted to run down that silly argument, the POSITION COACHES would be responsible for emphasizing that to their players. Not the ******* offensive coordinator. If a RB fumbles the ball, that's not on the OC.

11 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

ZH would mesh well with the current staff.   That’s where the positives end.   
The #1 biggest need on this staff is a boss recruiter!!!!   

I’m still holding out hope for Jeff Grimes!  He is a beast recruiter, his body of work as a coach and coordinator speaks for itself.  He also has some connections to the current staff, as well as Auburn!  It would be a home run hire!

yeah...Grimes  - that would be a homerun hire. 

Just now, TJRanger175 said:

I think Zak would be an upgrade, but I am certain people would find something wrong with almost anyone.

I would be absolutely ecstatic if Grimes was hired.  

Agreed. A lot of people will dump on the OC hire regardless of who it is. Harsin now has a group of haters that will hate until he starts winning. But i look at it like this..... he tried to go with the big name guy who would bring new ideas and help recruiting in the SEC. That did not work and Bobo was fired after 1 season. So now i expect Harsin to do the opposite and go with a guy who he is familiar with and he knows he can work with. 

Grimes would be my dream hire but i'm not holding my breath. I'd be fine with Hill but i also don't get enamored by the "big name" guys. All the big names were no names at some point in their career

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
7 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I’m still holding out hope for Jeff Grimes!  He is a beast recruiter, his body of work as a coach and coordinator speaks for itself.  He also has some connections to the current staff, as well as Auburn!  It would be a home run hire!

Hiring Grimes would be a thousand times better than Hill. Hiring Hill is not the hire anyone serious about being a top 5 program makes.  I don’t care how well he “fits” with Harsin. To be the best you got to hire the best and Hills not even remotely close to qualifying.  Grimes check literally all the boxes. If you look at his OC career he took a BYU that was one of the worst in the country and made big strides every year til they were one of the better in the country. Baylor was horrendous last year and are respectable this year. Grimes should be #1 on the list IYAM

Guest MustardSeed
6 minutes ago, metafour said:

Yeah, no offense, but there isn't a single coach in the country that doesn't teach or emphasize "ball security". You understand that fumbles lost is also highly dependent on LUCK, right? A player drops the ball, and then depending on where it bounces and who is in the area, it is either a turnover, or it isn't. There are teams that routinely fumble the ball but seemingly always fall back onto it. Other teams barely fumble, but when they do, magically it's right in front of a defender. This is called luck.

Ball security is something that is coached in pee-wee football. Even if you wanted to run down that silly argument, the POSITION COACHES would be responsible for emphasizing that to their players. Not the ******* offensive coordinator. If a RB fumbles the ball, that's not on the OC.

Learning not to fumble is the same as learning to break tackles. It’s strength and awareness. The best teams year in and year out don’t have guys that fumble regularly because it’s part of their standard teaching that is done properly.  But fumbling is literally only about 1/2 of 1% of why Hill shouldn’t come here. I’m sure he’s a solid mid tier PAC 12 OC. That won’t even come close to cutting here.  If he’s hired I’ll pull for him but I’ll expect to go backwards. Of course JMO which with a dollar won’t even get you a coke anymore 

Hill would be a major upgrade. That news would be a lot better than the news last year of us hiring Bobo. I was bummed when I hear that news. It took me months to convince myself that Bobo would be any good at his job. And as soon as I thought that Bobo was actually starting to perform well, things went south. Turns out he was not very good at his job. 

On paper I think Hill would be the best offensive coordinator that we have signed in about five years. I am not saying he is coming here, but it would be a good thing if he did.

there are a few others I think are good as well. I hope Harsin gets this right…

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Trying to understand coaching responsibilities if it’s him.

5 hours ago, japantiger said:

Your guess is as good as anyone's it seems from reading thru all this...All three of these seem like good candidates.  Is there an "official" list of real candidates that any of the "insiders" has put out?  Also, what is the latest thinking on Lebby, Grimes or Ruggiero (Wake Forest guy)?

Anyone with scoop on the below list?

Hill

Harrel

Ludwig

Lebby

Grimes

Ruggiero

I don’t think Ruggiero calls plays and believe it’s the HC’s offense.

Zak Hill is the no-help-for-recruiting move that fills the OC position with the least amount of thought or effort.

Zak Hill is 100% meh.

Zak Hill is 100% JABA.

So it's probably a done deal.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TJRanger175 said:

A very small possibility (this is pure speculation) is Robert Anae, the OC of Virginia. His offenses are pretty great, but he may be too loyal to Bronco Mendenhall to leave. Anae was the BSU OL Coach while Harsin was in school.

I don’t know this guy, but staying at UVA isn’t nearly as likely anymore since Bronco just resigned.   If he’s a legit recruiter, maybe he’s worth a call.  🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Zak Hill is the no-help-for-recruiting move that fills the OC position with the least amount of thought or effort.

Zak Hill is 100% meh.

Zak Hill is 100% JABA.

Seems like he would have already announced if it was ZH.

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Agreed. A lot of people will dump on the OC hire regardless of who it is. Harsin now has a group of haters that will hate until he starts winning. But i look at it like this..... he tried to go with the big name guy who would bring new ideas and help recruiting in the SEC. That did not work and Bobo was fired after 1 season. So now i expect Harsin to do the opposite and go with a guy who he is familiar with and he knows he can work with. 

Grimes would be my dream hire but i'm not holding my breath. I'd be fine with Hill but i also don't get enamored by the "big name" guys. All the big names were no names at some point in their career

Bobo was not a splash hire to anyone who has followed his career. He was a giant red flag.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Just food for thought. Baylor plays Saturday. 

That would fit perfectly with the “early next week” timeline.   I cannot get my hopes up though, because I’m always wrong about these things.  

19 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Zak Hill is 100% meh.

Zak Hill is 100% JABA.

Who would you hire 

Edited by gr82b4au

Guest MustardSeed

Here’s Grimes QB from BYU… #2 overall draft pick (did I say from BYU??)  Couldn’t make a better hire IMO

Wilson started 12 games and completed 247 of 336 passes for 3,692 yards, 33 touchdowns and three interceptions while rushing for 255 yards and 10 touchdowns, breaking Steve Young's school completion percentage in a season at 73.5 percent.

Baylor (Grimes) plays Saturday.

Utah (Ludwig) also plays Saturday.

I tend to think it will be one of those guys.  If he was gonna promote Kiesau it would have already happened.  If he was going after Hill, I think that would have already happened as well.

I don't know if Grimes will come.  Baylor is a good program and are winning right now.  Grimes is up for the Broyles this year and I dunno if he wants to move unless he gets a HC position.  AU will have to probably up his salary quite a bit to get him.  The good news is he knows AU well and has recruited the southeast.  I know when Grimes was O-line coach at AU, we had great lines and recruiting there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Here’s Grimes QB from BYU… #2 overall draft pick (did I say from BYU??)  Couldn’t make a better hire IMO

Wilson started 12 games and completed 247 of 336 passes for 3,692 yards, 33 touchdowns and three interceptions while rushing for 255 yards and 10 touchdowns, breaking Steve Young's school completion percentage in a season at 73.5 percent.

Would he really want to come back after he was fired from here in 2012?

27 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I don’t know this guy, but staying at UVA isn’t nearly as likely anymore since Bronco just resigned.   If he’s a legit recruiter, maybe he’s worth a call.  🤷‍♂️

Here is a part of his bio that stuck out to me:

A three-time Frank Broyles Award nominee for Assistant Coach of the Year, Anae is a 32-year coaching veteran that has directed multiple record-breaking performances and NCAA top-25 offensive statistical finishes during his career. Over the previous 14 seasons as Mendenhall’s offensive coordinator, an Anae-led offense has earned top-25 NCAA statistical rankings in 10 different offensive categories a total of 51 times, including 18 top-10 ratings.

Might not be an option, but he would be a good one.

I would be excited about Anae or Ludwig.

Grimes would be freaking fantastic. He runs the wide-zone offense that quite a few NFL teams run.

Hill would be my 4th choice, but like someone said above… he would be a better offensive coordinator than any Auburn has seen in quite some time.

2 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

That would fit perfectly with the “early next week” timeline.   I cannot get my hopes up though, because I’m always wrong about these things.  

How would coaching responsibilities go if it is the Baylor OC?

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Would he really want to come back after he was fired from here in 2012?

Grimes loves Auburn.

I think he was let go because he was at odds with Gus in terms of run blocking schemes.

If the job is offered to him I am positive he takes it.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, TJRanger175 said:

I would imagine Keisau would become QB/WR coach

And what would Grimes coach? He coaches TE’s now I believe.

Edited by Hank2020

I think we are underestimating just how desirable the offensive coordinator job at Auburn is. If I am a highly competitive guy, I would be chomping at the bit to go against the best competition every single week.

Who knows how many people have reached out to Harsin already.