Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

2 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

While I disagree with these points in general…I do agree in a way…his schedule at ND is an absolute joke compared to the one he just took on and he was never able to get through it.  I see him being a slightly more successful Bielema

That's what I was getting at I guess. We have no way of knowing how good of a coach he is with how bad the SOS was and how badly they performed against top teams when they made the playoffs, etc.

Just now, Didba said:

That's what I was getting at I guess. We have no way of knowing how good of a coach he is with how bad the SOS was and how badly they performed against top teams when they made the playoffs, etc.

This is completely different than what you were trying to convey which is as basically he is a trash coach lol. There is no factual data to support your original point. 

36 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Interested to know the reason Harsin would give, if asked, as to why the change at OC?

HE picked him and his reasoning then was that he and Bobo both had similar concepts on how to run an offense, and Harsin remembers it being hard to defend Bobo's offense when he was at CSU.

So WHA HAPPEN? :)

Uh Bobo's atrocious playcalling

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, DAG said:

This is completely different than what you were trying to convey which is as basically he is a trash coach lol. There is no factual data to support your original point. 

Okay I'm pretty sick right now and made that comment in between waking up and going back to sleep so yeah I agree with you that comment was wack and not really what I was trying to convey.

1 minute ago, Didba said:

Okay I'm pretty sick right now and made that comment in between waking up and going back to sleep so yeah I agree with you that comment was wack and not really what I was trying to convey.

Fair enough bro! Hope you feel better .

• Thanks 1

Guest MustardSeed
2 hours ago, DAG said:

That’s just silly 

Is it though?

Who has the tougher schedule…Wisconsin or Notre Dame?  Probably depends on the year but I’d say Wisconsin probably has a slightly tougher schedule on average. 

At Wisconsin Beilema had a roughly 74% winning ratio 

At Notre Dame Brian Kelley had a roughly 70% winning ratio. 

Of course LSU will nearly automatically give Kelley the edge in his record in the SEC over Bielema going to Arky…but success of the program gauged against against what they expect and I feel Kelley will do a little better in LSU fans eyes than Bielema did in Arky fans eyes. Don’t believe either are cut out for the SEC. But that’s just my opinion and you know what those are like…

27 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Is it though?

Who has the tougher schedule…Wisconsin or Notre Dame?  Probably depends on the year but I’d say Wisconsin probably has a slightly tougher schedule on average. 

At Wisconsin Beilema had a roughly 74% winning ratio 

At Notre Dame Brian Kelley had a roughly 70% winning ratio. 

Of course LSU will nearly automatically give Kelley the edge in his record in the SEC over Bielema going to Arky…but success of the program gauged against against what they expect and I feel Kelley will do a little better in LSU fans eyes than Bielema did in Arky fans eyes. Don’t believe either are cut out for the SEC. But that’s just my opinion and you know what those are like…

So first of all, Barry Alvarez hand picked BB and gave him the blue print. For the most part, every coach since the departure of BB has had success their because they followed the blue print of Alvarez. This is well known here in this wonderful state of Wisconsin and a big reason anytime a coach leaves, Barry Alvarez would simply step in as the interim. Add to the fact BB has struggled since.

Brian Kelly has been successful literally every where he has been at. Division 2, Non-power 5, Power 5. He has always left a program in high regard when he departs. He led CMU to it's best season ever at that time. He won two national championships at GVSU and set all time records there. He led Cincy to their first ever big east title and had them ranked #3 in the BCS prior to his departure at ND. He fixed a broken ND program and became the winningest coach at that program, heights they did not reach since the Holtz days.

I do not know if he will be successful at LSU, like he has been at his previous stints, but to say he is a little better than BB is not based in reality at all. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Interested to know the reason Harsin would give, if asked, as to why the change at OC?

HE picked him and his reasoning then was that he and Bobo both had similar concepts on how to run an offense, and Harsin remembers it being hard to defend Bobo's offense when he was at CSU.

So WHA HAPPEN? :)

First, as Bobo was mentioned after Gus was fired as the OC Steele wanted to hire, there is speculation there may have been some discussions between AU and Bobo before Harsin was hired. Second, there were rumors Auburn was telling HC prospects they would not have complete control over staff hiring, and some choices would have to be cleared by PTB. This rumor is reported usually around the discussion of Billy Napier, and I think perhaps Bill Clark. Third, coming into the southeast from out of region, you would want some assistants to have geographic connections to the region. It is interesting both coordinators are former SEC coaches. It suggests there may have been pressure to hire coordinators from in region. Finally, Harsin personally knew Bobo as a fellow MWC coach, which is not true of the other assistants hired out of the southeast.

My guess is this is one of those hires that looked good on paper, but didn't work out in practice.

• Like 1

Of the names mentioned….

Jeff Grimes checks all the boxes.   He would be a fantastic hire, imho!

Dell would be huge for recruiting, and he’s been around a good while.   He wants his chance to call plays.   AU would be a good place to make that happen.  There are 2 other guys on staff, including the HC, who have experience calling plays, so he could learn a lot about what plays to call Sunday through Friday.   

Baby Briles has done well so far and is probably ready to take another step up.   He has also been hand picked by a few guys that know offense.   I don’t think that would be a bad hire.  

Potato Boy has CBHs trust    I don’t know anything else about him   But I am highly confident he can’t recruit on the level Dell or Grimes would, so I wouldn’t be a fan of this hire   

I already forgot the fifth name on the list   🤣

As for Dirty Dan, or Cousin Eddie (whichever name you prefer), NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Please, Lord, Nooooo!!!!!!!   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AURealist said:

Kiesau should be the last resort.  We've already got him. 

I'd like to see some sort of evidence we aren't creating a Gus Ball 2.0 situation.  

I'm fine with Kiesau as the OC if it lets us focus on getting a very good QB coach and a lights-out recruiter who doen't have to worry about being an OC. I would say the same thing if Friend leaves. I would be fine moving Bedell to O-Line coach if we could get a top TE (and special teams) coach, who also is a lights-out recruiter.

How many of the super recruiters are coordinators vs. position coaches?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Fair enough bro! Hope you feel better .

Thankfully, tests came back negative for Covid, Flu, and Strep so Doc just gave me some stuff for bad head colds and sent me on my way.  Hopefully, will be back to 100% soon/

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, meh130 said:

First, as Bobo was mentioned after Gus was fired as the OC Steele wanted to hire, there is speculation there may have been some discussions between AU and Bobo before Harsin was hired. Second, there were rumors Auburn was telling HC prospects they would not have complete control over staff hiring, and some choices would have to be cleared by PTB. This rumor is reported usually around the discussion of Billy Napier, and I think perhaps Bill Clark. Third, coming into the southeast from out of region, you would want some assistants to have geographic connections to the region. It is interesting both coordinators are former SEC coaches. It suggests there may have been pressure to hire coordinators from in region. Finally, Harsin personally knew Bobo as a fellow MWC coach, which is not true of the other assistants hired out of the southeast.

My guess is this is one of those hires that looked good on paper, but didn't work out in practice.

I do believe with poor offensive results in 2nd halves of the 5 last games, is something definitely that Harsin would not have been pleased with.

And as Harsin said, the offense needed to finish drives, and I expect he worked with Bobo, and relied on Bobo to make those improvements which never materialized.

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

Even if it is the WR coach then a new coach will be brought on. My random guess is that Harsin is considering a few different options right now on who that extra coach will be and how he will fit in the current staff makeup. Before making any final decisions. 

For example if Harsin wants to bring in Hill to be co-oc with Kiesau then Hill has to let AZ State know etc.. Or if Harsin just wants to promote Kiesau and not bring in a co-oc he still has to decide which position Kiesau will coach and based on that who the position coach is that gets brought in. 

I can see this.

It is possible that now that Harsin is more comfortable getting his program started, he will bring someone in as OC that he has worked with and is happy with, and then Harsin could be the playcaller on the sidelines with help from guys like Hill./Kiesau as co/coordinators. 

If Harsin thinks that his old Boise state coaches are the best for the job and/or the best he can get to come to Auburn then so be it, I'll support them and hope for the best, but I hope he legitimately believes these guys are some of the best in the business rather than just going with people he is personally comfortable with. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, meh130 said:

I'm fine with Kiesau as the OC if it lets us focus on getting a very good QB coach and a lights-out recruiter who doen't have to worry about being an OC. I would say the same thing if Friend leaves. I would be fine moving Bedell to O-Line coach if we could get a top TE (and special teams) coach, who also is a lights-out recruiter.

How many players take into account the coordinator they're playing for/coached by?  

Our Offensive Line is in crisis partly because Auburn has earned a reputation for not teaching linemen what they need to turn pro.  

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
1 hour ago, DAG said:

So first of all, Barry Alvarez hand picked BB and gave him the blue print. For the most part, every coach since the departure of BB has had success their because they followed the blue print of Alvarez. This is well known here in this wonderful state of Wisconsin and a big reason anytime a coach leaves, Barry Alvarez would simply step in as the interim. Add to the fact BB has struggled since.

Brian Kelly has been successful literally every where he has been at. Division 2, Non-power 5, Power 5. He has always left a program in high regard when he departs. He led CMU to it's best season ever at that time. He won two national championships at GVSU and set all time records there. He led Cincy to their first ever big east title and had them ranked #3 in the BCS prior to his departure at ND. He fixed a broken ND program and became the winningest coach at that program, heights they did not reach since the Holtz days.

I do not know if he will be successful at LSU, like he has been at his previous stints, but to say he is a little better than BB is not based in reality at all. 

Well in fairness BB has only struggled since at his one HC job in the SEC. After that he wasn’t a HC anywhere til this year where he took over an absolutely abysmal program. We won’t know if Kelley can hack the SEC until he gets here. Losing multiple big games a year with NDs powder puff schedule doesn’t bode well IMO. 

As for the great state of WI, we are actually considering a move to the Zion, Illinois/Kenosha, WI area. Got a friend that runs an international ministry from there. Still working on my hot sun beach loving wife and daughter which is a tough sell 😂

11 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Well in fairness BB has only struggled since at his one HC job in the SEC. After that he wasn’t a HC anywhere til this year where he took over an absolutely abysmal program. We won’t know if Kelley can hack the SEC until he gets here. Losing multiple big games a year with NDs powder puff schedule doesn’t bode well IMO. 

As for the great state of WI, we are actually considering a move to the Zion, Illinois/Kenosha, WI area. Got a friend that runs an international ministry from there. Still working on my hot sun beach loving wife and daughter which is a tough sell 😂

I definitely wouldn’t be moving to Zion or Kenosha for that matter if I live near a warm beach , but if God’s work is the benefactor , it will be out of your hands anyhow , one way or another . 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

I know plenty of us can be overly snarky on message boards but can someone educate me on reasonably realistic options? I am admittedly ignorant of OCs.  The one thing I know is that Quasimodo is not a legit option, nor should he be.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AURealist said:

Unlike us, he's taken a team to the CFP.  His recruiting has been better than us.   Sucks, though.  😄

It is not difficult to recruit at Notre Dame. It is one of those iconic, storied programs players will always give serious consideration. They get more good players than their on-field performance merits.

6 hours ago, meh130 said:

For recruiting, and that’s where we need to focus in choosing an OC in my opinion, I don’t think we have enough arrows in our quiver to have, as OC, a guy that no high school player has ever heard of. we already have a head coach most high schoolers in the South have never heard of.  Coming off 4 maybe 5 losses in a row, several to cellar dwellers.  If we were coming off 10 wins or if we were sending a tremendous number of players to the NFL this year or last year, if we had some bigger names in some other top positions, maybe. But we will be going into that sales presentation, dodging and deflecting, making excuses,  rather than going confidently to some proven or at least believable selling points, early and often. For a salesman in a high-pressure/high stakes situation, not having pertinent, relevant and recent selling points combined with no recent success to point to, is a salesman’s nightmare. Experienced, veteran salesmen have been in this position before, and typically refuse to put themselves in that position again if at all possible. I mean, other than the History that is Auburn football, for recruiting, we've got nearly nothing.  And it is so very easy to sell against exactly our current situation, unfortunately.  We need a home run OC hire. A (football) household name….

• Like 1

I don't have any idea IF Kelly will work at LSU. But one thing I do know, Kelly runs a very tight and strick ship. Those LSU players are in for a huge shock. He don't play. Something that LSU hasn't had in over a decade. 

Edited by WarDamnEagleWDE
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I don't have any idea who Kelly will work at LSU. But one thing I do know, Kelly runs a very tight and strick ship. Those LSU players are in for a huge shock. He don't play. Something that LSU hasn't had in over a decade. 

Those Ed O boys are going to be jumping ship so fast. Maybe some will come to Auburn. Kelly will have LSU rolling though here soon enough. 

One name I've seen a few places is Tom Herman.  I'm not sure if his offense meshes well with what Harsin wants to run, but he runs a high power offense and is known as a beast recruiter.