Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

4 minutes ago, woodford said:

Our HC has a history of calling plays. Wouldn’t hate that. 

Dell 

Grimes

Briles

Thats my Christmas wish list. We will find out soon enough though. 

We Auburn fans never get what we want for Christmas. Usually we get a big fat lump of coal that can either turn into a diamond or rot. 

7 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

One name I've seen a few places is Tom Herman.  I'm not sure if his offense meshes well with what Harsin wants to run, but he runs a high power offense and is known as a beast recruiter. 

I’m not sure that it’s not a bad idea to mix a little of two offenses to create an offense Frankenstein monster. But that involves both parties going in with an open mind and commuting fully to the plan. Gus was awful at that. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1

12 minutes ago, woodford said:

Our HC has a history of calling plays. Wouldn’t hate that. 

Dell 

Grimes

Briles

Thats my Christmas wish list. We will find out soon enough though. 

I could get behind any of those, but unfortunately, there is nothing in AU's past to give me hope that it will be any one of the three. I figure the real list is more along the lines of this:

Brennen Carrol

Zak Hill 

Keisau

The only way I will be happy with any of the names I listed is if CBH brings Dell McGee on board as co - oc or some other elite recruiting ace.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I could get behind any of those, but unfortunately, there is nothing in AU's past to give me hope that it will be any one of the three. I figure the real list is more along the lines of this:

Brennen Carrol

Zak Hill 

Keisau

The only way I will be happy with any of the names I listed is if CBH brings Dell McGee on board as co - oc or some other elite recruiting ace.

This is what i'm expecting. But then again i was not expecting the Bobo hire and i was also expecting Friend to be let go yesterday so i can't say i have a good feel for what Harsin is planning. 

So I see many folks saying that possibly Bobo was forced on Harsin to some extent when he was hired. That entire thought gives me a lot of pause.

1- I don't understand why a coach would even take that. You want me to come here to this pressure cooker, but I can't hire who I want to? I understand budget limitations, but just flat out forcing a hire on someone? Naw.

2- I remember when Bobo was hired many folks saying it was because of the history between Harsin and Bobo as if it was purely Harsin's decision. Maybe this whole line of thinking is just a way of feeling better for AU fans about a coach's potential? I know we all are probably guilty of this. 

38 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

One name I've seen a few places is Tom Herman.  I'm not sure if his offense meshes well with what Harsin wants to run, but he runs a high power offense and is known as a beast recruiter. 

I would love a Muschamp level hire on the O - a guy with a big name comes in for a couple of years, sets the tone moving forward and stacks the roster with guys that can play.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’m not sure that it’s not a bad idea to mix a little of two offenses to create an offense Frankenstein monster. But that involves both parties going in with an open mind and commuting fully to the plan. Gus was awful at that. 

Not sure if I read it here, but I think I've read that Harsin is loosening up on his offensive philosophy b/c right now he doesn't have the horses to run what he wants to run.  It's going to take a few years to get the OL to run his true offense

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AURealist said:

How many players take into account the coordinator they're playing for/coached by?  

Our Offensive Line is in crisis partly because Auburn has earned a reputation for not teaching linemen what they need to turn pro.  

This.  Most kids these days are looking for “can you get me to the league”.   Gotta get a track record of success “there” going to truly boost recruiting of the *’s.  Every star recruit has folks in his ear about how he’s gonna get paid.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I don't have any idea IF Kelly will work at LSU. But one thing I do know, Kelly runs a very tight and strick ship. Those LSU players are in for a huge shock. He don't play. Something that LSU hasn't had in over a decade. 

I would've done back flips if AU had landed someone like Kelly. Of course, half of our fanbase seems to relive the moments of our previous coach. This is why we can't have nice things.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Not sure if I read it here, but I think I've read that Harsin is loosening up on his offensive philosophy b/c right now he doesn't have the horses to run what he wants to run.  It's going to take a few years to get the OL to run his true offense

Well the issue with that is if he continues to struggle he will not get a few years to get to that point. Somehow he has to do good enough to continue building the program. Thats just my opinion, I think he has 3 years but if year 2 and 3 are a repeat of this year then not sure if they will continue his *cough* employment.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I would've done back flips if AU had landed someone like Kelly. Of course, half of our fanbase seems to relive the moments of our previous coach. This is why we can't have nice things.

Brian Kelly would’ve been massive for Auburn. Don’t know we could have afforded him with this Gus buyout. Oh well. Kudos to LSU for swinging for the fences. Something Auburn never does. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 2

Just now, woodford said:

Brian Kelly would’ve been massive for Auburn. Don’t know we could have afforded him with this Gus buyout. Oh well. Kudos to LSU for swinging for the fences. Something Auburn never does. 

You would think with as much money we tend to pay out for fired coaches, we would want to be as effective as possible this go around. That is just my thinking.

10 minutes ago, bishoptf said:

Well the issue with that is if he continues to struggle he will not get a few years to get to that point. Somehow he has to do good enough to continue building the program. Thats just my opinion, I think he has 3 years but if year 2 and 3 are a repeat of this year then not sure if they will continue his *cough* employment.

As others have pointed out, we'll still be paying the last guy 2 years from now. Gotta think that is going to buy some patience. I agree that if year 3 is a repeat of this year, though, that the conversation isn't going to be pleasant. 

Auburn about to have new President and new AD.  All bets are off the table as far as how long Harsin has to get the ship righted.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

You would think with as much money we tend to pay out for fired coaches, we would want to be as effective as possible this go around. That is just my thinking.

In the end, we spend more money when we try to get a 'deal'.  It's like tools or cars.  Go ahead, pay the money for one you know for certain is of good quality.  Buy once, cry once.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Auburn about to have new President and new AD.  All bets are off the table as far as how long Harsin has to get the ship righted.

He might have a year. Hope the new AD likes to go trophy fishing. You’re in the tail end of Saban’s run. Damn the torpedoes. 

I want Auburn to have a sophisticated system in place. I know the school can’t really do it but they can have back end influence. You can legally pay kids now. If you can’t do that then you suck and don’t deserve to win. 

Guest MustardSeed

It sure why so many folks are on the Briles bandwagon. If you go back and look at where offenses were before he took over and where they were when he left it’s a little disturbing. He took over the #1 offense in the country at Baylor and left it in the mid 30s. Houston and FSU both went backwards under him as well.  I literally can’t find any stat that shows he is worth hiring. What am I missing?

1 minute ago, WalkingCarpet said:

McGrumors

1. Stable job

2. Great rapport with CKS

3. Highest paid RB coach in the nation

But yes come to Auburn right now where portion of the fanbase is already ready to run off the ball coach. Makes complete sense.

• Like 2

Matt Wells definitely seems to have a bright offensive mind I just wonder how he would be as a recruiter.

Kiesau wouldn't be a boost in recruiting but is another option than can call plays.

I swear we'll mention Dell as an OC candidate every time with not traction. He would be a great boost to recruiting but I think Harsin or Kiesau would have to be the play callers and that makes for a weird dynamic.

Zak Hill could call plays and replaces the QB role Bobo had as well.

Jeff Lebby isn't happening.

Kendal Briles would be awesome.

Jeff Grimes would be awesome.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Matt Wells definitely seems to have a bright offensive mind I just wonder how he would be as a recruiter.

Kiesau wouldn't be a boost in recruiting but is another option than can call plays.

I swear we'll mention Dell as an OC candidate every time with not traction. He would be a great boost to recruiting but I think Harsin or Kiesau would have to be the play callers and that makes for a weird dynamic.

Zak Hill could call plays and replaces the QB role Bobo had as well.

Jeff Lebby isn't happening.

Kendal Briles would be awesome.

Jeff Grimes would be awesome.

Feel like it'll be Hill.