Harsin Drama Megathread

TitanTiger

Out of curiosity I went to the Arkansas State Message board, and the majority of posters there think that story is a load of crap.

According to them he was not in danger of being fired there. He had a good season. They were a Memphis win away from it being an exceptional season. He probably would not have been hired to be the Boise coach if he did get fired there.

I am not certain what the real answer is, but it looks like something that will definitely sell some papers and garner attention.

I am waiting for concrete proof rather than pure conjecture or, "this journalist said this..."

I am interested in seeing how this all pans out.

The longer this goes on, the higher probability they have to drop the case against him.

3 minutes ago, The Freak said:

How was Harsin employed for 8 years at Boise if no one got along with him?  Smells fishy.

Agreed. He was at Boise as a position coach and/or OC from 01 to 10. If he were toxic and impossible to work with, why would they hire him as head coach and then how did he manage to remain head coach and do pretty well there for so long in spite of it all. Seems odd that he is this awful person but this is the first anybody is hearing about it publicly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Freak said:

How was Harsin employed for 8 years at Boise if no one got along with him?  Smells fishy.

Coaches came and left Boise State, there was staff turnover under Harsin and their fans complained about that.

One of their fans pointed out an important point: Boise State is one one of the premier G5 jobs; therefore they are a stepping-school program for coaches with premier aspirations. It is a huge opportunity for the coaches they hire, because they are typically pulling from the lower ranks - and a job at Boise State puts you on track for bigger positions elsewhere. This means that coaches will come on board and "suck it up" even if they're unhappy, because it's good for their career.

At Auburn, coaches don't need to "suck it up". A guy like Derek Mason can just absorb the financial pitfall and leave, because he's already an established coach.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Wrong. I didn't say it, I said a source said he was gone. Didn't say when. If it turns out he stays I will be the first to tell my source his credibility is shot.

Your post did not initially say that. You said it like fact then back tracked. Also, thanks for the congratulations 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TucsonTiger said:

Justin Hokanson from Auburn Live said he talked to some people in the Boise athletic program and they are not surprised at what is happening at AU. Things were becoming unglued there also!

Hoke has reminded me more of National Enquirer than any true sports reporter lately.

If I recall, he was the guy who "broke" the affair news. He then quickly backpedaled when it was looking like BS.

It is a shame... I wish people in the media would realize that if they stuck to facts and had some integrity, rather than constantly try to to be the first one to talk about something they would probably be more successful.

I would rather someone approach stories with realism and rationality rather than the fantastical.

• Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, metafour said:

Coaches came and left Boise State, there was staff turnover under Harsin and their fans complained about that.

One of their fans pointed out an important point: Boise State is one one of the premier G5 jobs; therefore they are a stepping-school program for coaches with premier aspirations. It is a huge opportunity for the coaches they hire, because they are typically pulling from the lower ranks - and a job at Boise State puts you on track for bigger positions elsewhere. This means that coaches will come on board and "suck it up" even if they're unhappy, because it's good for their career.

At Auburn, coaches don't need to "suck it up". A guy like Derek Mason can just absorb the financial pitfall and leave, because he's already an established coach.

The Boise guy on JOX also pointed out that the Boise admin basically wouldn't let you ask any tough questions over there. The Boise market also doesn't care about CFB like we do in the South, and the media over there are mostly young up-and-comers who don't want to rock the boat. If you are on the Boise beat and write a scathing report about the program, you're locked out for good and since you are a young reporter your career is over before it starts. 

Why did Harsin have to go on ESPN to get his case out there instead of going with someone local? Because he isn't used to having to deal with actual media with teeth, and he didn't feel like they were valuable enough to him to build relationships with the local guys. The reason our beat guys seem like they have no sources now is that its ALL coming from either the boosters or AD, the coaches who would know (Harsin and the Boise guys) aren't talking, and the Auburn guys like Reed and Cadillac are left in the dark. 

It's suspect that all of this news is springing up just now. Even the most recent hate-piece from that Boise forum is 4 months old.

At this point it's pretty clear what the solution is but PTB have painted themselves into a corner

Just now, TJRanger175 said:

If I recall, he was the guy who "broke" the affair news. He then quickly backpedaled when it was looking like BS.

No, he didn't. I would advise you to not make things up.

Jeff Lee has been banning people who kept bringing up that rumor. That rumor DID NOT start, nor was it spread by ANY Auburn beat writer.

Just stop.

• Thanks 1

Some of us: Any evidence to fire him for cause, yet?

Others: No, but did you know CBH kicked puppies every Friday on the blue turf and yelled at new born babies at random?

What are we doing? LOL

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TJRanger175 said:

Hoke has reminded me more of National Enquirer than any true sports reporter lately.

It is a shame... I wish people in the media would realize that if they stuck to facts and had some integrity, rather than constantly try to to be the first one to talk about something they would probably be more successful.

I would rather someone approach stories with realism and rationality rather than the fantastical.

I am a member there, and while I may not be a huge fan of Hoke, I don't recall this at all. He reported that Harsin's future was in jeopardy. He also commented about not slandering these people on anything more than an unsubstantiated rumor. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LaphroaigWDE said:

The Boise guy on JOX also pointed out that the Boise admin basically wouldn't let you ask any tough questions over there. The Boise market also doesn't care about CFB like we do in the South, and the media over there are mostly young up-and-comers who don't want to rock the boat. If you are on the Boise beat and write a scathing report about the program, you're locked out for good and since you are a young reporter your career is over before it starts. 

Why did Harsin have to go on ESPN to get his case out there instead of going with someone local? Because he isn't used to having to deal with actual media with teeth, and he didn't feel like they were valuable enough to him to build relationships with the local guys. The reason our beat guys seem like they have no sources now is that its ALL coming from either the boosters or AD, the coaches who would know (Harsin and the Boise guys) aren't talking, and the Auburn guys like Reed and Cadillac are left in the dark. 

Yup, the media did not like him.

He comes off as extremely privileged. He was hand-picked by Chris Petersen to be the successor at Boise State, and Petersen is basically god to that school. So their fanbase and administration were extremely weary of painting Harsin in any negative light.

Despite all that; you can CLEARLY see for yourself that he has a shocking amount of detractors within that fanbase. For the person above who stated that these stories about him being a problem are "only now" coming out, that's complete nonsense. Boise State people have been saying those things since before he even left. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tigerpro2a said:

I am a member there, and while I may not be a huge fan of Hoke, I don't recall this at all. He reported that Harsin's future was in jeopardy. He also commented about not slandering these people on anything more than an unsubstantiated rumor. 

Our beat writers and media have been almost entirely if not entirely avoiding bringing up the affair at all, and definitely not posting who the girl is. If anyone has articles where they actually even bring up the affair, link it here because I would love to see it. 

Just now, LaphroaigWDE said:

Our beat writers and media have been almost entirely if not entirely avoiding bringing up the affair at all, and definitely not posting who the girl is. If anyone has articles where they actually even bring up the affair, link it here because I would love to see it. 

Exactly.

As Meta said, they have been banning people over it. For someone to say Hoke started it is absolutely BS.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jw 4 au said:

Do you really think people from within the Athletic Department are going to speak to a lowly beat reported for AL.com about a former coach?  Hell no. Hoke is a joke, has proven it many times over, and get most his information from forums. He probably went on a Boise forum and read some BS and is repeating it. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Others: No, but did you know CBH kicked puppies every Friday on the blue turf and yelled at new born babies at random?

What are we doing? LOL

I know. At this point, I don’t think I will be able to believe AU or Harsin. It’s just become a clown show, which AU seems to do best. The college football world is just laughing at us. 

• Dislike 1

That same Boise mod wrote the following. Doesn't seem far off.

This is precisely the unfortunate and hurtful and inhumane (and I would argue immoral) aspect of ths entire episode. Frankly, I would be enjoying the whole debacle if it weren't for this damage to this young woman and to Harsin's family--even with the prospect of money damages, it doesn't "correct" the wrong done.

That Auburn's AD went hard after Harsin in the first place was a head scratcher: hire an essentially west-coast coach with a few years in SEC country (and really only in the periphery of it), a reputation for being a brutal control freak among his staff, a record of being outcoached and outprepared in big games, a history of being prickly with boosters and media, etc. And Harsin's acceptance of the position is a bit of a head scratcher--go to a program that basically hounded out a fairly succesful coach, with a Natty title, who had gone stale, governed by meddlesome boosters, and insisted on retaining staff to make up for your own obvious deficiencies in recruiting the South or understanding SEC culture. The aspect of coaching in the SEC with the huge stadiums and elite competition and the huge buyout and $5 million salary made him blind to all of what was an obviously bad fit. It's only surprising, just a little, that it soured so quickly.

A combo of his ego/ambition and of the sick money enticed Harsin to bolt, and upto the point of these rumors, I felt Auburn and Harsin deserved one another. Good, a little tepid, but way too full of themselves. But now with the rumors, I don't care terribly what happens to Harsin or Auburn, but I hope the young woman can find her own place, with her own friends, and build a life free from this scrutiny and meanness.

2 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

It's suspect that all of this news is springing up just now. Even the most recent hate-piece from that Boise forum is 4 months old.

At this point it's pretty clear what the solution is but PTB have painted themselves into a corner

The dog and pony show will continue until they find cause... Because they apparently don’t want to pay the buyout..

I find it hard to believe at this point that they are just trying to get to the truth for truths sake... it’s all about the $18 mill 

Meanwhile what was once a bad situation before all of this started has made it impossible for us to get better with Harsin..

They refuse to fire him without cause.
The only solution now is to bite the bullet and cut him loose and pay him the buyout 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

I know. At this point, I don’t think I will be able to believe AU or Harsin. It’s just become a clown show, which AU seems to do best. The college football world is just laughing at us. 

Just a frenzy of a bunch of nothingness 

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

What are we doing? LOL

SMH. 

It came out last night that this guy puts table spoons in with the teaspoons in their silverware drawer. This has gone too far.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Even the media are now consistently labeling their narratives as "rumors". We've officialy surpassed the childish hysteria surrounding AUs head coaching search to replace Malzahn. 

4 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

The dog and pony show will continue until they find cause... Because they apparently don’t want to pay the buyout..

I think Auburn wants to settle because they know their cause won't hold up in court. Making coaches run off for other jobs, not going to events, not recruiting hard enough aren't technically "fireable offenses" even though they are offenses that make me not want the guy to be our coach. Part of the reason it won't hold up is because of the circus, they would have had a better shot if they just canned him before the media got a hold of the story (but still not a good shot). 

2 hours ago, auburnfaithful72 said:

Borrowing from twitter.. that’s funny.. 

0F25E407-ACBE-4023-8AA9-AABBE2D7561A.jpeg

If it was your family- wife, daughter, personal assistant falsely accused- would you want someone posting what you just did because you thought it was funny? But wait you didn't really compose it- you just borrowed it from Twitter, so it's ok.

• Like 1