Barkley

bigbird

5 hours ago, AUGoo said:

25,000 names on AUFamily.

$10 a month is $3 million per year.

We can start our own NIL.  We can get the players to promote AUFamily.

OL Fund.

How important is it you ?  Who's in?!?

I might honestly consider something like that.

We should. That's what's happening elsewhere.

6 hours ago, JTFazz said:

Barkley is an Oaks Society member, meaning he has donated more than $1 million to the athletic department.

And BTW, I don't think it is Harsin's place or role to be the point person on raising NIL money. There are people in the Athletic Department Administration and probably the Auburn Foundation whose job it is to do that. I have read that booster groups organize funding at other universities for this purpose. And based on the opinions stated on these forums, Harsin should be focused elsewhere like recruiting, coaching and hiring assistants. Certainly, he can help close the deal on donations, but he doesn't need to be out shaking trees, beating bushes and knocking on doors for NIL money.

That doesn’t fit the narrative 

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

"Listen, I’ve given Auburn plenty … of money, but they haven’t asked me about the NIL thing. They’re too busy trying to screw the coach down there to ask me for money,” Barkley said. “They’re too busy trying to screw Harsin out, which I want to say this [and] I haven’t spoken about this publicly. I wish they would leave Bryan Harsin alone and let him coach. I know the alumni are powerful and a pain in the ass, basically. Let the man coach. I know he’s not part of the Auburn family tree, but let’s not sit there and act like the Auburn family tree’s been really working.

“The guy’s been there one year. Some players have transferred. Players transfer from Georgia, transfer from Alabama. [Fans] don’t go crazy. Nick Saban loses coaches every year [and] nobody goes crazy. But for some reason, the alumni down at Auburn want a guy they can control and Harsin is somebody they cannot control, and I wish him great success. I support Auburn, whoever the coach is. But I think Coach Harsin deserves an opportunity to do it his way, and if it doesn’t work out, yeah, we can make some changes. But give the man a fair chance, and I don’t think he’s been given a fair chance. And hopefully going forward, they will stay out of it and let him fly or crash. But let him do it his way.”

https://www.on3.com/college/auburn-tigers/news/charles-barkley-weighs-in-bryan-harsin-saga-who-he-wants-coaching-auburn-tigers/

Interesting how, since nobody actually knows who's behind the investigation initiation, "alumni", "boosters", "BOT" and "Power Brokers" are interchangeable. Charles talks about alumni - you got a degree, you're to blame. Why worry about specifics, blame everybody and you're at least partially correct.

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2022 at 12:15 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Auburn fans calling our face of the basketball program for over 30 years “broke af”

Sigh 

Bite me. He was in trouble not long ago. Gambling about ruined him. Glad that's not the case now, apparently.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 2:27 PM, Didba said:

Except coaches can't be involved in NIL as it would be an ncaa violation. The ADept along with coaches cannot be involved with NIL talk with players or the businesses. It has to strictly between the players and private businesses/boosters. The only thing the university is involved with is compliance.

That is why when I first replied to this I mentioned that there are still some NCCA rules around NIL and despite the fact that he is not allowed to participate in NIL people who don't like him blame him for not participating in NIL which is one of the few ways left you could get put on Probation.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 10:24 AM, bigbird said:

"Listen, I’ve given Auburn plenty … of money, but they haven’t asked me about the NIL thing. They’re too busy trying to screw the coach down there to ask me for money,” Barkley said. “They’re too busy trying to screw Harsin out, which I want to say this [and] I haven’t spoken about this publicly. I wish they would leave Bryan Harsin alone and let him coach. I know the alumni are powerful and a pain in the ass, basically. Let the man coach. I know he’s not part of the Auburn family tree, but let’s not sit there and act like the Auburn family tree’s been really working.

“The guy’s been there one year. Some players have transferred. Players transfer from Georgia, transfer from Alabama. [Fans] don’t go crazy. Nick Saban loses coaches every year [and] nobody goes crazy. But for some reason, the alumni down at Auburn want a guy they can control and Harsin is somebody they cannot control, and I wish him great success. I support Auburn, whoever the coach is. But I think Coach Harsin deserves an opportunity to do it his way, and if it doesn’t work out, yeah, we can make some changes. But give the man a fair chance, and I don’t think he’s been given a fair chance. And hopefully going forward, they will stay out of it and let him fly or crash. But let him do it his way.”

https://www.on3.com/college/auburn-tigers/news/charles-barkley-weighs-in-bryan-harsin-saga-who-he-wants-coaching-auburn-tigers/

Seems he's got some feelings attached to a lot of personal experience. 

Barkley has done a lot for AU but he has a big mouth. He has a statue outside the arena recognizing him. There is another great former AU basketball you don't hear much about but has also done a lot for AU but hasn't got a statue. He has been involved with AU a lot behind the scenes. Who is he.....John Mengelt.

60 points! John Mengelt remembers Auburn record, 50 years later - Auburn University Athletics (auburntigers.com)

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2022 at 3:32 PM, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Charles should know that in order to give money for something you have to actually have it in the bank 😂 dude is broke AF, isn't he?

No

25 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Keep the guy long enough so we can be absolutely sure he stinks…got it. 

I'd rather hire a new HC and staff every year. Much more entertaining and hey we might find a good one.

yellow font.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Barkley has done a lot for AU but he has a big mouth. He has a statue outside the arena recognizing him. There is another great former AU basketball you don't hear much about but has also done a lot for AU but hasn't got a statue. He has been involved with AU a lot behind the scenes. Who is he.....John Mengelt.

60 points! John Mengelt remembers Auburn record, 50 years later - Auburn University Athletics (auburntigers.com)

You are quite right about Mengelt. He was a scoring machine. I have no idea what he does behind the scenes. But Charles has a dedication that cannot be denied, and shouldn't be. He says what he thinks. I agree with most, not all. I thought that's what we were all about. You have a right to say what you think.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Bite me. He was in trouble not long ago. Gambling about ruined him. Glad that's not the case now, apparently.

He can lose what we pay for a house or condo every day. And still have wealth that I could never dream of. I know of things he's done around Birmingham recently. Doesn't appear he's hurting. But you probably know better. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

https://www.sportscasting.com/charles-barkley-net-worth-50-million-doesnt-plan-leaving-money-behind-free-loading-family/

Enjoy the read….a good bit of Jordan thrown in as well. Both a long way from broke AF…

43 minutes ago, tomcat said:

https://www.sportscasting.com/charles-barkley-net-worth-50-million-doesnt-plan-leaving-money-behind-free-loading-family/

Enjoy the read….a good bit of Jordan thrown in as well. Both a long way from broke AF…

I read that after getting quoted that he wasn't broke.

This is what I'm remembering: 

"Do I have a gambling problem? Yeah, I do have a problem, but I don't consider it a problem because I can afford to gamble. It's just a stupid habit that I've got to get under control, because it's just not a good thing to be broke after all these years," he said.

Barkley article from 2006

Was I wrong? Yep. Happy to be wrong, but I thought I remember him saying that.

10 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

39 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I read that after getting quoted that he wasn't broke.

This is what I'm remembering: 

"Do I have a gambling problem? Yeah, I do have a problem, but I don't consider it a problem because I can afford to gamble. It's just a stupid habit that I've got to get under control, because it's just not a good thing to be broke after all these years," he said.

Barkley article from 2006

Was I wrong? Yep. Happy to be wrong, but I thought I remember him saying that.

He did get it under control. He is not broke. He was saying what would happen if he continued. But whatever. 

• Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

He did get it under control. He is not broke. He was saying what would happen if he continued. But whatever. 

OK. Do you know Charles? Do you know anyone that knows him? Someone close to him? Do you have 40-50 million dollars? What is your age? Just a couple of questions. 

9 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Just now, JuscAUse! said:

OK. Do you know Charles? Do you know anyone that knows him? Someone close to him? Do you have 40-50 million dollars? What is your age? Just a couple of questions. 

why you responding to yourself, weirdo?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. I'm not sure why people ignore that he still has a job paying him $1.5 million a year. 

Wouldn't that be nice...

• Love 1