On to MSU, our last road game

81spacetiger

Time to move past the events of today and start focusing on MSU on the road.  Arkansas really helped us out by taking out UK so we still hold a 1 game lead in the SEC and on the national level, having Purdue loose was important for us to hold on to a 1 seed.

We have not played well on the road, so we need to get this last road trip in the W column so we can try to move that rock off our back.  I don't want to nit pic too much, but there are a  couple of things I'd like to see reversed.  

1.  Zep is undervalued on the team given his upside.  If you look at his playing time, he is getting less time over time... He needs to get more and be told we need him to bring back his offensive production.  Find some ways to get him into the game more than just on the D side.  Get him more minutes; we'd probably get less TO's.

2.  We need more points from Zep and Flan.  I think if we can just get 10 points each outing and the rest of the team scores their average, we would be VERY hard to beat.  10 points isn't too much to ask for but there is a lot behind getting everyone to have the looks to shoot.  Between the 2 of them they only took 5 shots in the UT game - 5!

ZEP.jpg

points.jpg

Edited by 81spacetiger
  • Like 5

Fans got what they wanted with less Flan period on offense, and that’s been ball handling that got allocated back to Wen (and some to Jabari). Zep hasn’t shown the right mentality that we’ve needed, someone needs to demand the rock from Wendell out there. If it’s going to be left to the players by Pearl, someone other than Jabari and KD is gonna have to demand more of a market share 

We don’t need him having the usage rate he does, it doesn’t optimize him or this team.

• Like 1

Flan's minutes are staying steady.  His point production is not where we need it but believe it or not it is improving to possibly get back to January levels.  

Our last game showed Zep can be a significant player.  We need him to be harder to beat.  

I hope the Coach doesn't let the players decide how we're going to play.  I don't think they all know how the team can play the best.  I do like that Jabari is showing he can score more, I just wish we had more from other players.

This is our last road game, we need to win this one.  That would set up our last home game as the one we win to win the regular season crown.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 81spacetiger said:

Flan's minutes are staying steady.  His point production is not where we need it but believe it or not it is improving to possibly get back to January levels.  

Our last game showed Zep can be a significant player.  We need him to be harder to beat.  

I hope the Coach doesn't let the players decide how we're going to play.  I don't think they all know how the team can play the best.  I do like that Jabari is showing he can score more, I just wish we had more from other players.

This is our last road game, we need to win this one.  That would set up our last home game as the one we win to win the regular season crown.

Yep. We're guaranteed a spot in the SEC quarterfinals. Split these last two games and we get #2 seed, win both and get #1 seed.

16 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Yeah, I was hoping Wednesday would lead to the emergence of Zep’s prominent offensive side. 

Plus he had some bad turnovers. Wasn’t expecting that.

• Like 1

We got a gift from Arky. Winning the SEC regular season title is important. Championships are what teams play for. Here's hoping we can sweep these last two games and claim the title. Sharing one sucks.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

We got a gift from Arky. Winning the SEC regular season title is important. Championships are what teams play for. Here's hoping we can sweep these last two games and claim the title. Sharing one sucks.

As long as you didn't play them twice and split, "sharing" is a complete myth. As much as I miss the Tubs era it annoyed me to no end that we claimed "co-division titles" in 2001, 2002, and 2005. Like no, those AREN'T "co-division titles" if you clearly lose the tiebreaker (albeit I can understand a three way tie ala the Big 12 South in 2008)!

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, AUwent said:

As long as you didn't play them twice and split, "sharing" is a complete myth. As much as I miss the Tubs era it annoyed me to no end that we claimed "co-division titles" in 2001, 2002, and 2005. Like no, those AREN'T "co-division titles" if you clearly lose the tiebreaker (albeit I can understand a three way tie ala the Big 12 South in 2008)!

And if we end up tied in the regular season, and it is with Ark and UT(assuming Ky loses another game), then we lose the co-championship according to your logic bc we lost to both of those teams.

Not saying it's wrong in theory, but in the end, we better accept it based on won/loss record only...I want an SECC banner to raise in the Arena....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AUwent said:

Yep. We're guaranteed a spot in the SEC quarterfinals. Split these last two games and we get #2 seed, win both and get #1 seed.

Yes. At this point, we really need a big road win, especially against a inferior team. Something about this team currently seems discombobulated. Our guard play is horrendous lately. We have relied on Kessler, KD and Jabari far too much this year, with the actual talent on this team. Because so many lost in the Top 10 this weekend, is likely the only thing saving AU from a 2 seed in the big tourney. There’s a lot to correct and for once, a road win would help. I love BP, but recently, his calls/strategies are extremely lacking. 

• Like 1

The fact that we’re 3-3 in the last 6 has me concerned.  Seem to be getting sloppy and overconfident.  All the tools and talent are there, but seems like they need to step back and focus on what they were doing a month ago.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoAU said:

The fact that we’re 3-3 in the last 6 has me concerned.  Seem to be getting sloppy and overconfident.  All the tools and talent are there, but seems like they need to step back and focus on what they were doing a month ago.  

Yes. I am hoping AU gets the extra practice during Bye games to figure things out.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GoAU said:

What they were doing a month ago is not playing at the likes of Arkansas and Tennessee. We often lose sight of the fact the other team has a bearing on the outcome of the game too. Not just how Auburn plays.

• Like 4

Absolutely agree - but I am just referring to my observation of how the team seems to be carrying itself.  We seem to be throwing up a lot of long threes, regardless of whether we are hitting them or people are in position to get rebounds.  Our D seems to be really stout, but we seem to have gotten sloppy / complacent.  Your right that the competition has went up as well.  Far from a lost cause, all the talent in the world and good team dynamics.  Just think we’ve got to focus in a bit and get our stride back going into tournament season.  

On 2/26/2022 at 10:58 PM, Mikey said:

It's not really a gift any more than UK got a gift from UT. It's really damn hard to win road games in this conference as evidenced by the fact that TWO TEAMS in the entire conference have a winning road record. Heck, there are three teams with an undefeated home record. In other words, it's easier to win every. single. home game than it is to win more than half of your road games. Think AU fans are frustrated with an OT loss, a one-point loss, and a five-point loss on the road? How about Kentucky sitting +17 at home and .500 on the road? Or Bama sitting +11 at home and -3 on the road?

The game in Starkville is going to be really hard to win. We don't have to play perfect or anything, but it's going to come down to a few possessions down the stretch. There is zero reason to expect anything else. That's especially true for a team that plays as slow a pace as State. State is 14-2 at home with one loss in conference play. They've already beaten Arkansas and Bama in Starkville. 

Still, let's get ready for Wednesday. If we hit the glass like we can and play relatively clean basketball, we have a chance to make Wednesday a banner day. Let's get a win (any win, I don't care if it's a one point win on a last second shot) and hang another one in the rafters!

Edited by mcgufcm
  • Like 4

As we seen all SEC road games are tough. Right now I consider MSU game as a must win game same for SC game as we need to go into SEC tourney with a little momentum. One thing I have noticed in last couple of weeks is the better Jabari plays the worse our Guards play. I think we are trying to isolate him so much on the left side that we have pretty much stopped the ball movement we had before. Jabari is going to get his points and I do like Isolate him on left side but you can't over do it and stop the player movement and the ball movement. It is a balancing act. Also Jabari is not moving as much so it is easier for opponent to body him up even though he has gotten much better at handling that.

Basically our guards need to utilize their Basketball IQ . If you over play and a man beats you don't reach and do a stupid foul Kessler is back there. Cut down turnovers when one guard drives into the paint the opposite guard rolls back to prevent a fast break. Little things make a big difference. We don't have to be perfect but we can't play stupid at times.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

More evidence of just how hard it is to win on the road in the SEC:

Over the last two weeks, home teams are 20-9. That doesn't sound too impressive, but how about this... only one of those nine losses has come at a team in the Top 10 of the conference. Of the nine, the Bottom 4 in the SEC account for eight losses:  UGA (2), Ole Miss (2), Mizzou (3... they played an extra game against MSU), and Vandy (1). Arkansas owns the only road win over a Top 10 SEC team in its 82-74 win over UF in Gainesville last Tuesday. That's pretty wild.

Of the four teams still in contention for the conference title, Auburn (at No. 9 MSU), Arkansas (at No. 4 UT), and UK (at No. 7 UF) all have one road game against a Top 10 SEC team remaining. UT's only road game is at No. 14 UGA so you have to like their odds of finishing 14-4.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

In other words, it's easier to win every. single. home game than it is to win more than half of your road games.

However, one would think a team with Auburn's capability and ranking would be able to overcome road woes and beat ordinary teams such as Florida. AU is not playing the way they played on the road at Tuskaloser.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

However, one would think a team with Auburn's capability and ranking would be able to overcome road woes and beat ordinary teams such as Florida. AU is not playing the way they played on the road at Tuskaloser.

The difference between then and now is razor thin. Tie game at Bama with 58 seconds. Won. Had the ball down 1 with 7 seconds at UF. Lost. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

The difference between then and now is razor thin. Tie game at Bama with 58 seconds. Won. Had the ball down 1 with 7 seconds at UF. Lost. 

True bammer game tied with 58 secs but remember Quinerly passed up wide open 3, drove the lane and threw up a terrible shot that never even went toward the basket.  That virtually handed us that game more than we went and won it on our own. I'm glad we capitalized on his mistake and closed it out but it would have been a different story had he made the 3 or the drive shot. We got real lucky there.

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Jerry Hinnen tweeted an interesting stat. Auburn's worst 5 games by some sort of advanced metric were all wins.