On to MSU, our last road game

81spacetiger

Interesting. I'd definitely put the roadies at Mizzou and UGA on that list. I would probably include USF and TAMU. Not sure what the fifth would be.

I know for certain that UCONN and Arkansas are not among our worst performances. We played really good basketball in both of those games. I would say the UT game is an easy addition to the "not our worst games" list except for the rebounding. That was atrocious and cost us the game. Despite how difficult it is to win on the road, I wouldn't put that as a good game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jj3jordan said:

True bammer game tied with 58 secs but remember Quinerly passed up wide open 3, drove the lane and threw up a terrible shot that never even went toward the basket.  That virtually handed us that game more than we went and won it on our own. I'm glad we capitalized on his mistake and closed it out but it would have been a different story had he made the 3 or the drive shot. We got real lucky there.

I would also add that the gap between Bama and UF is not as wide as it seems. UF is 8-8 in conference and 18-11 overall. Bama is 9-7 and 19-10 overall. Both teams have perplexingly awful losses. Bama has better wins. Both teams suck on the road (3-6). Plus, we truly never win in Gainesville. Not since Cliff Ellis.

28 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Interesting. I'd definitely put the roadies at Mizzou and UGA on that list. I would probably include USF and TAMU. Not sure what the fifth would be.

I know for certain that UCONN and Arkansas are not among our worst performances. We played really good basketball in both of those games. I would say the UT game is an easy addition to the "not our worst games" list except for the rebounding. That was atrocious and cost us the game. Despite how difficult it is to win on the road, I wouldn't put that as a good game.

Man, you're good. He actually only listed 4- my bad- but instead of TAMU he had ULM. 

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

However, one would think a team with Auburn's capability and ranking would be able to overcome road woes and beat ordinary teams such as Florida. AU is not playing the way they played on the road at Tuskaloser.

TEams are playing D better and taking away some of our successful plays(Kessler's high screen). I think that Greene has to work to do more driving with KEssler and Jabari around him to follow up if he misses. He has settled too many trips up the court with dribbling and having to jack up a longer 3 than he wants, and he's shooting a poor percentage.

I would like to see Zep shoot a little more, and more inside out plays, so some of our outside shots are more open than it seems we now shoot too many contested long jump shots.

One of the things I have appreciated about college basketball is the short time between games to rest, scheme and prepare for the next opponent.   The short amount of time makes it difficult to make major changes.  It think it is fair to say, you are who you are late in the season.  If there are things you don't do well, you are not likely to see those things changed - unless you have an injury or you change players.  The coaching staff sees the players for far longer than we do, so they have the best read on who can do what so I have faith we are playing our best players.

I think we can only expect some minor adjustments going forward.  Remembering ALL teams have issues, our team overall has much more upside hence our win/loss totals indicate as much.  Lets correct those few items and snag a SEC CC. 

Let us also hope for no injuries as we go forward and let our rested players best the next teams best players.  With all the recent topline losses we can expect a lot of March Madness?

What does the site do about capturing the NCAA bracket?

We win our last 2 games, we win the SEC.  Don't really deserve to win the SEC if we can't beat MSU on the road and USC at home.  Does the team want the championship?  We'll find out soon enough.

• Like 4

To be clear, the SEC doesn’t recognize tiebreakers; therefore, neither do I. Win either of the last two, we hang a banner and buy the shirts. Just like we did in 2018. 

I’d love to win both and have the only banner though! Let’s make tomorrow a banner day!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

The difference between then and now is razor thin.

SO TRUE!!!!   If we would’ve won at Arky and UF, and we were sitting at #1 with only 2 losses, no one would be complaining at all!    If we lost at bama, Mizzou, and uga with 7 losses some fans would be jumping out windows and setting fire to their TVs.   The difference between these 2 scenarios is very minimal.   Such is life in college basketball.   

• Like 2

On 2/26/2022 at 10:58 PM, Mikey said:

Sharing one sucks.

Depends on how you get there. I know 2018 was the season we were co-Champs with Tennessee (we beat them that season), but 2019 was damn sweet beating Tennessee in the last regular season game AND the SECCG. That left zero doubt who the real SEC Champ was. 

On the other side of the spectrum, if we lose at MSU, limping our way down the stretch to share with UK when we had it wrapped up weeks ago, it will suck.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 2

Yep!  We had a nice cushion in the field 2 weeks ago.  Even now, with a one game lead and 2 very winnable games left, sharing it would be very anticlimactic.  

(But I’d still gladly take it.  I vividly remember decades of suckyness in BB too much to not enjoy a share of an SEC title!!!)

Banner Day everyone! Let's get a win tonight!!

Side note, the streak continued last night. UGA and Vandy lost. Arkansas is still the only team in the conference to win a road game against a team in the top 10 of the SEC standings in the last three weeks. That's crazy. We're breaking that streak and grabbing our title tonight!!

• Like 3

Relaxed and ready for the w.

• Haha 1

One thing we can't have tonight is one of our guards shooting 2-15 in FG (1-7 on 3pt) like we had in the Tennessee game. If a player is shooting that bad someone else needs to have their number called.

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Arkansas is still the only team in the conference to win a road game against a team in the top 10 of the SEC standings in the last three weeks. That's crazy.

TN won at MSU three weeks ago today. It’ll be tough, but we should get a much-needed road victory tonight for confidence. 

If memory serves me correct (which is a really big IF!!!), the year we went to the Final 4 we started our win streak that led all the way to the final 4 with the last 2 regular season games, which were also the first 2 games in March, after a disappointing stretch for a couple of weeks.   A big momentum shifting win tonight could hopefully do the same for this team!🤞

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

One thing we can't have tonight is one of our guards shooting 2-15 in FG, including 1-7 in 3pt, like we had in the Tennesse game. If a player is shooting that bad someone else needs to have their number called.

Heck yeah!!!  Let Jabari shoot!   Get it to Kessler down low early and often!  And see who has the hot hand between Zep, Green, and KD, and let them shoot, and give a big ol red light to whoever is ice cold!!!

• Like 1

We really need the PG penetrate deep into the lane to open back up the Pick and lob!

1 hour ago, PotPot said:

Anybody know what brand of basketball we will be playing with tonight?

Looks like Wilson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17718192.jpg

• Like 1